Athletic Bilbao

MaVilla

37 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Went to the UEFA game in Bilbao and it ranks amongst the best experiences I’ve had following Villa. 

Despite all the political issues surrounding them, we couldn’t have had a warmer welcome. We went to Madrid later in the competition and their fans and police were awful.

Basque people are awfully nice though. Friendy and super sense of humour. They only have political issues with Spain not the people 

• Like 1

One of my favourite foreign clubs. Weird also that I was only watching highlights of our UEFA Cup game against  them in the 90s yesterday afternoon. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

One of my favourite foreign clubs. Weird also that I was only watching highlights of our UEFA Cup game haunts them in the 90s yesterday afternoon. 

We played so well that night. Still remember Yorke feigning to shot about three times and the just sticking it into the bottom corner. Also the keeper dropping a cross and Ian Taylor tapping it in.

They had a very good team that season, think they actually finished 2nd in La Liga (ahead of Atletico Madrid) and played in CL the next season.

17 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Exciting days. We had a hard fought goalless draw over at their place. We made ourselves difficult to beat away from home in the UEFA Cup that season.

Was reading Sir Brian Little's second autobiography last week, he admitted for the infamous Helsingborgs tie we were very underprepared, hardly watched them (this was the mid 90s when you couldn't just switch on a stream and watch the Swedish league) and he wasn't even sure how the away goals rule worked.

Fixed it the next season and as you say we were very good at scrapping out results away and keeping ties alive for the second leg, think we were at home second leg for all four ties.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The Helsingborg game was a nightmare. Getting knocked out by part timers and the next day at school 😫  Didn’t we also get knocked out again by an utter crap team? 

I thought it was Litex Lovech but apparently we beat them 4-2 on agg.

Edited by AVFC_Hitz

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The Helsingborg game was a nightmare. Getting knocked out by part timers and the next day at school 😫  Didn’t we also get knocked out again by an utter crap team? 

Rapid Vienna dumped us out twice and Varteks 😂😂

• Thanks 1

rapid did it 2 years on the trot didn't they?

can remember their fans being incredible

can also remember looking at Vienna, it being expensive compared to prague and hamburg the year before and arrogantly thinking nah **** it ill wait for the group stage....

on that EL group in the old format, can you imagine that group in the proper 2 game format, ajax, hamburg, sparta prague, would have been mind blowing

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Varteks ! That’s the one. Rapid weren’t great either but at least I’d heard of them. 

Was only about 7 games into season but I am sure we were top of the league when we played them 😂

Regionalism is much more of a thing in Spain, especially in the Basque Country and Catalonia.   Zonal Marking have been running a series of podcasts this summer about the great teams of Europe from the past quarter of a century and when they went to Spain they chose the national team of 2008-2012 which won three tournaments in a row. (link) and they had Alavro Romeo on who is a Basque football journalist to talk about them and even though it was just a throwaway line in the show he mentioned the first time he saw anybody in the street wearing a Spanish national team shirt was after Euro 2008.  

14 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Trabzonspor in 94 I think was also seen as a bit of a disaster as Turkish league was nowhere near as strong then as it got in late 90s when their teams started doing well in europe.

Varteks was a wierd one. We've actually beaten some decent teams in winning Intertoto (Lille and Basle who went on to knock Liverpool out of the CL the next season with most of the same 11) then it seemed we weren't bothered about playing in the Uefa cup. Think we played a scratch team in the first leg, lost and then the demage was done despite going full strength in the return leg.

22 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Rapid and Bilbao were the best away fans  I have seen at VP.

Ajax were really good aswell, non stop signing from them from first minute to last. Might've been a bit more of an "edge" with them away from the ground though although I was in Brum for most of the afternoon leading up to the game and didn't see any trouble.

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Trabzonspor in 94 I think was also seen as a bit of a disaster as Turkish league was nowhere near as strong then as it got in late 90s when their teams started doing well in europe.

Intimidating though, Lawro actually tells a story that scariest game he ever went to as one fan brought a gun

On 07/07/2019 at 21:49, Zatman said:

Basque people are awfully nice though. Friendy and super sense of humour. They only have political issues with Spain not the people 

Yeah. I had a mate I used to be in a band with who moved down to Biarritz - French side of the border, but loads of Basques round there. He had a band there, with a couple of Basque lads, and they were great blokes. I also played football in Bradford with a Basque lad who'd had trials for Athletic (although, as he admitted, pretty much ANY boy round there who could kick a ball got a trial). He was a good player, too, if a bit of a primadonna striker who would never track back. Our coach got so annoyed with him, he once subbed him for me!  :)

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Was that the game after we’d beaten Inter Milan?

that made it extra disappointing having just knocked out an Italian giant. 

I remember watching that and being young enough (I was 8 ) that I didn’t understand the away goal rule. 

So I thought we were heading for extra time and penalties and then suddenly we’d lost

Â