Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2019/2020

BOF

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm 413pts better off than had I left it.

Yeah I was following the title fight.  World Chess Champ Magnus Carlsen had a dreadful final week too, and dropped to 11th.

Yeah he had a shocker. I think he was 4th before the final week

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm 413pts better off than had I left it.

Coincidentally, I'm exactly 413 points better off as well!

Last season I did far better in FPL but was only around 100 points better off using this calculation. Shows how strange this season has been

Finished 2nd in this league, technically 3rd if the guy who was running away with didn't leave the league 😂

Overall rank was somewhere around 16k, which might be my highest ever. A lot of people in my other leagues started putting some effort in and since lockdown I've spent a lot more time on it, too much if I'm honest. It's also opened me up the twitter FPL world where there's so much early team news and it has a big impact on how things play out. As someone said the guy who was top was pretty much playing for fun all season and if he was on Twitter would have seen Salah was benched and swapped his triple captain over to someone else and likely won. Kind of hope they make some changes to the deadline for next season but it is what it is.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Finished 2nd in this league, technically 3rd if the guy who was running away with didn't leave the league 😂

Overall rank was somewhere around 16k, which might be my highest ever. A lot of people in my other leagues started putting some effort in and since lockdown I've spent a lot more time on it, too much if I'm honest. It's also opened me up the twitter FPL world where there's so much early team news and it has a big impact on how things play out. As someone said the guy who was top was pretty much playing for fun all season and if he was on Twitter would have seen Salah was benched and swapped his triple captain over to someone else and likely won. Kind of hope they make some changes to the deadline for next season but it is what it is.

One thing I've noticed about FPL twitter is the trends of certain players based on absolutely nothing.

Oli McBurnie was a great example this side of lockdown. One week someone prominent in FPL Twitter decided he was a really good differential option and suddenl;y half the accounts on FPL Twitter were putting him in their teams. It's like a mexican wave. You then find yourself wondering if you've missed out on this big secret that everyone knows about.

Of course he then did absolutely **** all, because he's rubbish, but that couple of accounts backing him was enough for it to spread around like widlfire.

But I agree, in general it's a hugely helpful community. 

This season was my first season using twitter for FPL in any capacity, and it really is a learning curve.  Learning what to take heed of and what to ignore is key IMO.  It's a tool which you can easily use badly by over-using or under-using.  I think I use it more as a check for my blind spots.  I have my own fairly non-aggressive (low turnover) way of playing the game, and I have my own ways of choosing players and planning road maps, keeping an eye on double or blank gameweeks or international breaks.  So I don't need to rely on twitter and the online community the way some players do.  But then I guess the very fact I even look at road maps, double or blank weeks, or international breaks puts me in a fairly small percentile of FPL players to begin with.  Twitter is useful for the individual team experts.  People who keep track of the pre-season friendlies and who is being used or not used.  Spotting the Wan-Bissakas and the John Lundstrams of the world before week 1.  The podcasts are more fun than anything else.  I don't tend to be influenced that much by them unless it's something completely out of left field which I then take into consideration along with everything else I was doing to that point. Next season will be interesting because I think I'm a better player having put the effort and the development in that I've done this season.  That's 4 top 100k finishes now in my last 7 seasons (I didn't play 16/17).

My season in one pic.

ae8c32522233e3197186ff8ce6247b44.png

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BOF said:

This season was my first season using twitter for FPL in any capacity, and it really is a learning curve.  Learning what to take heed of and what to ignore is key IMO.  It's a tool which you can easily use badly by over-using or under-using.  I think I use it more as a check for my blind spots.  I have my own fairly non-aggressive (low turnover) way of playing the game, and I have my own ways of choosing players and planning road maps, keeping an eye on double or blank gameweeks or international breaks.  So I don't need to rely on twitter and the online community the way some players do.  But then I guess the very fact I even look at road maps, double or blank weeks, or international breaks puts me in a fairly small percentile of FPL players to begin with.  Twitter is useful for the individual team experts.  People who keep track of the pre-season friendlies and who is being used or not used.  Spotting the Wan-Bissakas and the John Lundstrams of the world before week 1.  The podcasts are more fun than anything else.  I don't tend to be influenced that much by them unless it's something completely out of left field which I then take into consideration along with everything else I was doing to that point. Next season will be interesting because I think I'm a better player having put the effort and the development in that I've done this season.  That's 4 top 100k finishes now in my last 7 seasons (I didn't play 16/17).

My season in one pic.

ae8c32522233e3197186ff8ce6247b44.png

Yeah I think I've been guilty this season of listening to Twitter a bit too much in some case. The "clever" stuff I mentioned would definitely have been a result of seeing it on Twitter or something and then it just hasn't paid off at all.

Next season I'm going to trust myself a bit more.

I tend to follow the guys who really dig into their stats to make their decisions, xG/xA is something I'll be paying more attention to next season. 

It is funny to see a random player rock up with a goal and everyone think he's going to blow up. Sarr was another I think. 

14 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I tend to follow the guys who really dig into their stats to make their decisions, xG/xA is something I'll be paying more attention to next season. 

It is funny to see a random player rock up with a goal and everyone think he's going to blow up. Sarr was another I think. 

Trossard was the talk of the twitter town this season early doors.  The hype was surreal for a nobody.  I stayed away but I did keep an eye on him just in case :)