Matt Targett

villan-scott

Showed us just why we cant afford to continue with Taylor and Elmo as fullbacks.

Targett plays and we attack as a unit moving quickly forwards.

Taylor plays and puts a grinding halt on any kind of forward play giving the away team the initiative back, putting us under constant pressure and inevitably conceding goals.

He did surprisingly well in his first 3 games defensively, until you see that it's because he had so much defending to do and that is purely down to his lack of an offensive footballing brain.

Edited by brummybloke

Played well and the game changed once he went off, offered width and going forward with decent crosses, hopefully injury isn’t to bad and back in the starting line up nxt weekend, as can’t be dealing with Taylor again

• Like 1

I'm not 100% sure because it was difficult to see from the upper holte but for a moment I thought Taylor was going to sit back down, it looked as though Targett wanted to continue. 

Now that probably doesn't mean much, but maybe offers some hope that the injury isn't to serious. I hope not but he looked really good up to that point. 

The news is it's his other hamstring to the one he injured and so hopefully he'll be back for the next game. We need this guy in the starting 11, he had a fantastic game today.

Edited by AV82
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AV82 said:

The news is it's his other hamstring to the one he injured and so hopefully he'll back back for next weekend. We need this guy in the starting 11, he had a fantastic game today.

Happy to hear he did well, seems he really balanced out with Guilbert as a full back pair, can't believe it took Deano so long to get him in the team (injury aside).

Targett was a great outlet for us today. He played some nice passes and moved us forward well. Put in better crosses than I’ve ever seen from Taylor. 

Gutted to see him go off, but Smith said it’s his other hammy and he thinks it’s more cramp than anything after 2 games in a week so soon after injury. Fingers crossed he’s fit for next week as we were so much better for him being on the left. 

We actually ignored Taylor several times when attacking down the left once he came on. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AV82 said:

The news is it's his other hamstring to the one he injured and so hopefully he'll back back for next weekend. We need this guy in the starting 11, he had a fantastic game today.

I'm not sure if that's good news or bad news? Sounds like he has pingy hamstrings - will probably cause him trouble throughout his career. Hopefully we can learn how to manage it.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I'm not sure if that's good news or bad news? Sounds like he has pingy hamstrings - will probably cause him trouble throughout his career. Hopefully we can learn how to manage it.

He has missed a few games and was then thrown straight in the deep end playing 150 minutes in the space of 3 days. It could be cramp. It’s too early to say he has pingy hamstrings.

11 minutes ago, AV82 said:

He has missed a few games and was then thrown straight in the deep end playing 150 minutes in the space of 3 days. It could be cramp. It’s too early to say he has pingy hamstrings.

I'm definitely not an expert on injuries, so you're probably right. I just think there are so many footballers who suffered recurring hamstring injuries throughout their career, in a similar pattern to this (one serious injury to kick it off, and then continual niggles every season, and major injuries avoided by playing within themselves a bit. Michael Owen and Craig Bellamy spring to mind.

This is interesting: https://www.thephysiocompany.com/blog/michael-owen-and-the-curse-of-his-recurring-hamstring-injuries

A study of Australian Rules footballers showed that 12.6% of players re-injured their hamstrings during the first week of return to sports, 8.1% during the second week and a massive 30.6% over the course of the rest of the season. It is worth noting that the second injury was usually more severe and required double the time away from sport.

4 hours ago, Farlz said:

Thought he was great today, our left side actually looked functional for once. Gutted he's injured again because it means we've got to see that useless sack of shit Taylor back in. 

I'll be fuming at Smith if he starts Taylor.

We have plenty of options who are actual footballers.

4 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I love Guilbert. I see him getting better and better.....

... but Targett was our best full back today. Suitably impressed.

I hope the injury isn't serious.

Haven't seen the first half, as I thought it was still 18:00 kickoff our time. Had a little nap then when I woke up I found the game already began. But I've seen from him which suggest he'd really upgrade our performances. 

Hopefully he's back soon.

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

missed most of a season (200 days according to Transfermarkt) with a serious hamstring injury

Well that's worrying given he seems to have injured both hamstrings already and we only signed him two months ago.

Â