Matt Targett

villan-scott

I don't rate Taylor one bit. He was probably the first player I'd replace this summer, so I am amazed he is still our first team left back. I do however think we have to give him some credit. He's been good this season in general. Might be rubbish going forward and it might negatively affect our team and tactics, and make us lose points, but he's been pretty solid defensively in a brand new back 4. 

• Like 3

i like taylor. i really do. think he's done really well so far this season and i think the stick he's gotten on here has been really unfair. he was even blamed for the goal on sunday that came from mings' error FFS!! but his attacking limitations are there for all to see. wasn't at the game last night but targett did well by all accounts...hopefully he's the missing piece of the jigsaw

Edited by tomav84

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Targett looked excellent on the highlights, he was whipping in crosses for fun, it’s good to have a £11m full back to come in to the side

Only seen the highlights also but we have to remind ourselves that was essentially a Brighton academy side, I really want to see Targett play for real but I think id prefer it as a LWB in a 5 which DS is never going to do unfortunately.

Taylor has been good defensively this season, but he can't cross or do much in the way of passing in the final third, both full backs whether it is him, Guilbert, or Targett need to be providing overlaps and crosses. Guilbert gets fwd well but rarely crosses. Elmo is the only player we have in that position who picks out a good cross occasionally, Targett may do also if given a run in the team.

Taylor has been perfectly fine from a defensive viewpoint this season. I agree he is poor going forward but there might be a few of you calling for him to be reinstated if Targett plays poorly on Saturday.

A left-back's primary job is to defend. I worry about that with Targett. 

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Taylor has been perfectly fine from a defensive viewpoint this season. I agree he is poor going forward but there might be a few of you calling for him to be reinstated if Targett plays poorly on Saturday.

A left-back's primary job is to defend. I worry about that with Targett. 

Fullbacks needs to be able to go forward in this day and age and I hate to break it to you, but Taylor's defending has hardly been stellar.

• Like 1

Defenders do need to defend, however we are set up to push forwards. Theres a reason whoever's plays on left left in front of Taylor never has a good game and is exhausted after 60 minutes.

That's because they are marked or hoofed out of the game by 2 players on one when ever they get the ball. The fullback needs to be offering support when we are on the attack, let someone else drop back to cover the space.

Always liable to a counter but that's what marvellous is for, to hold if someone goes beyond him from defence.

No support means someone in the middle having to go to the ball leaving less in or around the box.

Explains why wes is always isolated as who ever would have been making the run in support has had to pull out wide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Better than Taylor when we're on the front foot against weaker opposition.

Still not convinced he's better than Taylor in a tough Premier League fixture, but hopefully we'll find out soon.

He played 19 or so games last season for Saints and a better games to win ratio than Bertrand. I don't understand why people are questioning if he can cut it tbh. He just needs games to settle and get his match fitness up.

We do need him to provide the attacking threat down the left we have only had on the right side thus far imo. Hopefully he stays injury free now and kicks on because it's about time.

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:
21 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Better than Taylor when we're on the front foot against weaker opposition.

Still not convinced he's better than Taylor in a tough Premier League fixture, but hopefully we'll find out soon.

He played 19 or so games last season for Saints and a better games to win ratio than Bertrand. I don't understand why people are questioning if he can cut it tbh. He just needs games to settle and get his match fitness up.

We do need him to provide the attacking threat down the left we have only had on the right side thus far imo. Hopefully he stays injury free now and kicks on because it's about time.

My point wasn't that Targett isn't Premier League quality. It was more in reference to a certain type of game (e.g. Spurs away) where we won't enjoy a lot of possession. In my opinion, Neil Taylor, for all his faults, handles those tougher games quite well.

The caveat with Targett's record at Saints is all those wins coincided with Hassenhutl arriving and switching to a 3-4-2-1 formation, with Targett playing as a wing back. I don't think he won any games playing in a back four.

So yes, clearly Targett is a better wing back than Neil Taylor, and maybe even than Ryan Bertrand, but as a full back in a back 4 he will be tested more defensively.

Not writing him off at all, by the way - just reserving judgment until we've seen him at left back, in a 4-3-3, against decent Premier League opposition.

• Like 3

In the Carabao Cup highlights show, they showed a few clips that we didn't see on the extended highlights from the club. In a couple of them, Targett gets worryingly skinned by the young winger (the one that scored). I'm talking turned inside out. I'd still take it for the offensive improvement over Taylor though.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

In the Carabao Cup highlights show, they showed a few clips that we didn't see on the extended highlights from the club. In a couple of them, Targett gets worryingly skinned by the young winger (the one that scored). I'm talking turned inside out. I'd still take it for the offensive improvement over Taylor though.

That's the worry though is he up to it against PL players? His game suits playing as a WB not a FB. 

For all his inablity to get forward is Taylor a safer option right now?

If we don't play him we'll never know.

If our system is always 4-3-3 then we don't play a WB so you have to assume he was bought to play LB. we shouldn't be not picking him based on he can't defend, otherwise he should be a LW.

If he can't cut it defensively in a back 4 then we have no use for him and should get rid, but that seems absurd for a guy we payed 11m quid for only a month or 2 ago.

We know Taylor won't offer much if anything going forward, and even if you think he's better defensively we haven't exactly been keeping clean sheets for fun so I don't see much risk here in trying.

This idea that he can't play in a back four and is better suited to a back five playing as a wing-back is a myth. He was much better at Fulham playing in a back four than he was at Southampton playing in a back five. Southampton fans also say that when he played in a back four for them he looked much better than when he was playing as a wing-back and they were relying on him as their main attacking outlet down the left-hand side, performs much better when he's got a winger in front of him. We've only won one game in six, it's not as if we've got much to lose by giving him a chance.

Edited by useless

Â