Matt Targett

villan-scott

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'd rather bring Targett in v Burnley just because we're likely to lose Arsenal game anyway. Don't want confidence being dented.

If we get battered so be it. I'd rather have us score a goal or two against arsenal and Concede 3 or 4 than lose 2-0 with arsenal having 90% possession and about 50 shots. We should go out and play them like we played Everton but with targett, nakamba and maybe el ghazi (with target the left should open up making it a lot easier for whoever plays there but trez is better defensively so may play). If wes can score and maybe jack or a winger to boost their confidence that would be ideal.

Plus Taylor does not have the pace to keep up with lacazette or pepe or whoever else they play. 

7 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Elmo was solid but unspectacular and he is far more attacking than taylor. Would you rather fred gilbert or Elmo at right back ? 

Both done well. I would be happy with either.

Elmo have created more chances than Guilbert though as much as people slate him for his offensive abilities.

Edited by villalad21

He's not even making the bench I don't think we will see him anytime soon, our defense has been pretty solid so far I don't think Dean will change it until things go seriously wrong.

The only time I'd like to see Targett is if we played 5 defenders,  he seems a bit of a vulnerability in defense. 

Edited by zab6359

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We all know Taylor is crap going forward but he has been quite good defensively and has become part of a pretty solid back 5.

Whilst we’re keeping clean sheets I don’t think he should be dropped.

This is kind of the problem. Defensively he's doing well and holding his own in the league but whenever he gets the ball in the final third, there's a big chance that it's the end of an attack. The right hand side is basically the style we're going for and far more dangerous in comparison. Long term we want the left sided equivalent of Guilbert. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

He's not even making the bench I don't think we will see him anytime soon, our defense has been pretty solid so far I don't think Dean will change it until things go seriously wrong.

The only time I'd like to see Targett is if we played 5 defenders,  he seems a bit of a vulnerability in defense. 

He's injured, isn't he?

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Taylor's positioning was awful at times on Monday, it's myth that he's this really good defender and he causes a lot of harm to his whenever he goes forward. Targett has to come in when fit.

We've watched Taylor look average at absolute best in the Championship for three seasons. It's wild people are now saying he's a good defender. He's guff. If Targett is worse in defence the he'll have to be incredible going forward to be a worthwhile signing at £11-14m. He is very tidy on the ball, we'll look much more composed with him in the team.

We've been pegged back deep in our half for much of the season which means less space in behind, maybe that's why Taylor is finding it easier? There's still about 5 players I'd play there ahead of him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Taylor's positioning was awful at times on Monday, it's myth that he's this really good defender and he causes a lot of harm to his whenever he goes forward. Targett has to come in when fit.

He was up against wingers worth tens of millions and they created very little - I don't think anyone here would claim that Taylor is 'really good' but his form has been more than acceptable so far this season IMO. 

• Like 4

Whoever plays LW is effectively double marked out of the game, which then means Jack has to drift left.

I don't care how he has performed defensively, the fact he offers nothing going forward effects everything we do. 

Targett has to be given a run. 

Edited by av1

40 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We've watched Taylor look average at absolute best in the Championship for three seasons. It's wild people are now saying he's a good defender. He's guff. If Targett is worse in defence the he'll have to be incredible going forward to be a worthwhile signing at £11-14m. He is very tidy on the ball, we'll look much more composed with him in the team.

We've been pegged back deep in our half for much of the season which means less space in behind, maybe that's why Taylor is finding it easier? There's still about 5 players I'd play there ahead of him.

we really must be the only fans that make excuses when our own players/managers put in good performances

under bruce, a good win was "players just played well...nothing to do with bruce" now we're moving on to players, somehow implying that they're finding it easier in the premiership!! it's almost laughable

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

He was up against wingers worth tens of millions and they created very little - I don't think anyone here would claim that Taylor is 'really good' but his form has been more than acceptable so far this season IMO. 

He's a total limiting factor and his performances IMO cause more harm than good because he provides no quality going forward. We have a number 9 who is completely isolate in most games and not getting enough good service, Taylor is certainly playing his role in that. The sooner he's out the team the better. He has done well by his standards and limitations but we can and must improve on him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lexicon said:

This is kind of the problem. Defensively he's doing well and holding his own in the league but whenever he gets the ball in the final third, there's a big chance that it's the end of an attack. The right hand side is basically the style we're going for and far more dangerous in comparison. Long term we want the left sided equivalent of Guilbert. 

To be fair although he doesn’t create a chance and goes backwards at least we keep the ball. 

Long term I agree he needs to be replaced but for the time being it’s not as big a problem as some seem to make out in my opinion. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Nobody is saying he is a good defender. They are saying he has been doing a good job. 

Lets see how well we do defensively from that side when he’s eventually replaced.

It’s going to need to be a massive improvement because he hasn’t even been that bad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Long term I agree he needs to be replaced but for the time being it’s not as big a problem as some seem to make out in my opinion. 

Hourihane is no longer playing and someone has to be way more at fault than the rest of the team though.

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair although he doesn’t create a chance and goes backwards at least we keep the ball. 

I think Taylor does limit Jack's options when attacking, so it is a big problem in my book as Jack is our most creative player.  I'd be tempted to put Guilbert at left back and Elmo on the right.

• Like 1

Â