Matt Targett

villan-scott

with their goal (Leipzig), and the chance they had when Heaton made the worldie save, both were crosses from our right to the left/centre of the box and literally nobody was in that area in a villa shirt both times, one leading to a goal, the other to a goal except for Heaton's worldie save.

Cant decide if thats Targetts fault, or Targett & Mings.....or a mix of others also?

Edited by MaVilla

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

with their goal (Leipzig), and the chance they had when Heaton made the worldie save, both were crosses from our right to the left/centre of the box and literally nobody was in that area in a villa shirt both times, one leading to a goal, the other to a goal except for Heaton's worldie save.

Cant decide if thats Targetts fault, or Targett & Mings.....or a mix of others also?

I header, I’d say Mings, although both had balled watched and drifted far too much over to the right. The goal, Targett wasn’t even in the box, he didn’t arrive until after the goal, he’s got to get back quicker imo. 

21 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Sorry mum. 

21 hours ago, AVTuco said:

My attempt for sarcasm obviously failed mate.

21 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Sorry bruv!

Your Mother is your brother?

Image result for birmingham city fan gif

dont get Targett not playing, he's basically better than Taylor in every way?

Can only assume Deano isnt sold on him or something?

If Deano chose Taylor to be more defensive, couldnt he just tell Targett to play more defensive?, at least he can then also pass the ball a bit as required?

the choice makes zero sense to me at all, i can partially understand the Elmo/Hourihane choice, but i cant find on any level where i agree Taylor should have started over Targett.

we spent 14m or something on a LB who cant dislodge Taylor?????

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

If Deano chose Taylor to be more defensive, couldnt he just tell Targett to play more defensive?, at least he can then also pass the ball a bit as required?

the choice makes zero sense to me at all, i can partially understand the Elmo/Hourihane choice, but i cant find on any level where i agree Taylor should have started over Targett.

We were integrating 4 new players into the starting XI. It's possible that Dean didn't want to include more than one new player in each part of the pitch (just a guess).

Bit let's not forget that Taylor played his part in our unbeaten run, as well as the playoffs. He did well today against one of the best teams in the league and is not one of the areas of concerns from today's game.

He's earned the right to keeps the shirt for Bournemouth IMO. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

We were integrating 4 new players into the starting XI. It's possible that Dean didn't want to include more than one new player in each part of the pitch (just a guess).

Bit let's not forget that Taylor played his part in our unbeaten run, as well as the playoffs. He did well today against one of the best teams in the league and is not one of the areas of concerns from today's game.

He's earned the right to keeps the shirt for Bournemouth IMO. 

I don't agree. Taylor is pretty good at defending, and abysmal going forward. The bottom line is we need to get a result against Bournemouth, so I would expect Targett to start as we need to offer a threat. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tough one. Taylor doesn't deserve to lose his place based on his defensive showing so far this season. But how long do you hold him in there knowing he offers nothing going forward and will be prone to giving the ball away which will inevitably invite more pressure on us at the back?

I think we'll see both Guilbert and Targett in some capacity Vs Crystal Palace but not Vs Everton at all. 

On 10/08/2019 at 21:14, MaVilla said:

based on what out of interest? did you see many of the mere 16 games he played for southampton games last season?

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Sentimentality to players like Taylor will be why we won't fill our full potential. 

It's a delicate balance. I think Smith's plan is that he'll either play well or it'll be enough rope for him to hang himself, so he's given him a chance, so he can't complain if he messes up and the squad won't feel that Smith isn't being fair or loyal to his players.

Long way to go yet but must say I'm worried that Elmo and Taylor are our starting full backs atm.

With the squad we have it's not going to be enough to have our players having 6/10 performances and being solid.

We need at least a few of the new signings to be playing out of their skins on a regular basis and some of our old players to rise a level or 2 from last season.

I don't see Taylor or Elmo ever doing this, they just don't have it in them. 

Thus the hope lies on Targett and Guilbert to step in and step up. If they don't we are in trouble.

Solid is fine, but it's not enough.

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Long way to go yet but must say I'm worried that Elmo and Taylor are our starting full backs atm.

With the squad we have it's not going to be enough to have our players having 6/10 performances and being solid.

We need at least a few of the new signings to be playing out of their skins on a regular basis and some of our old players to rise a level or 2 from last season.

I don't see Taylor or Elmo ever doing this, they just don't have it in them. 

Thus the hope lies on Targett and Guilbert to step in and step up. If they don't we are in trouble.

Solid is fine, but it's not enough.

for now it has to be enough. until we start scoring goals, we need to keep the back 4 solid and settled, and for now it is. none of the 5 goals conceded so far we're fault of the back 4.

once wesley starts firing, and trez/el ghazi start performing, we can afford to be a bit more adventurous

we start targett friday, i honestly think we'll be done by 2 or 3

Â