Matt Targett

villan-scott

On a serious note - positioning is where his weakness is imo. He didn’t get roasted by their winger. His passing is okay and he is quicker than he looks. 

I am not worried about him. He will be fine.

Edited by Sulberto21

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Not sold on him either.

That performance was not good.

And others have said he was gash, out of position, not impressed etc.

I missed the first 15 mins of the game, but from then on I don't remember any mistakes he did defensively. On the contrary I thought Leipzig was a bigger threat on our right hand side.

As said, the way we want our full backs to play means there will be gaps at times, but Targett rushes back and closes that quite good from what I've seen. It's also about choosing in what situations you bomb forward and not, and I thought he does that well. I'm very impressed by his passing, he is very comfortable on the ball and looks like an intelligent player, taking good decisions. Just look at that situation in the middle of the first half where he did that delightful little chip to El Ghazi, many others would just have kicked it away or lost it. Just as an example. And he looks fast as well, runs a lot and works hard.

Can you (and others give some examples) of situations where he was bad today? 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

This is Villatalk. Ive seen players judged on their signing interview

lol... I remember some of those bagging Bouma early days, and over time he became a colossus. Every player needs time, they don't always have a start like Dublin.

11 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

lol... I remember some of those bagging Bouma early days, and over time he became a colossus. Every player needs time, they don't always have a start like Dublin.

That's the "Dart" not the start.😀

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 2

LOL at the scapegoat comments, he was gash first half today, got better, could be immense next game and ill get on here and congratulate him. Better to call a spade a spade and not a big spoon tho!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, QldVilla said:

What was it 7 goals in his first 3-4 games? Very intelligent player.

I'm sorry....i was playing up.

The " Dart " Is the "Dublin Area Rapid Transit" its a rail system that covers the coastal area of Dublin.....I was playing game with words, you being from Australia, wasn't very clever of me.

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm sorry....i was playing up.

The " Dart " Is the "Dublin Area Rapid Transit" its a rail system that covers the coastal area of Dublin.....I was playing game with words, you being from Australia, wasn't very clever of me.

All good mate, at least I learnt something new.

11 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

LOL at the scapegoat comments, he was gash first half today, got better, could be immense next game and ill get on here and congratulate him. Better to call a spade a spade and not a big spoon tho!

So in what way was he gash? Was he at fault for any goals, gave away stupid penalties or free kicks? Didn't track back and follow his man? Lacked in understanding with the other players? Played wayward passes, gave away the ball unnecessarily, made us lose possession etc?

11 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

So in what way was he gash? Was he at fault for any goals, gave away stupid penalties or free kicks? Didn't track back and follow his man? Lacked in understanding with the other players? Played wayward passes, gave away the ball unnecessarily, made us lose possession etc?

I wouldn’t say gash, but he struggled a bit. He was caught too far up the pitch a few occasions. He was pulled out of position too easily. Leipzig were finding a lot of space in his area of the pitch. Mings has to step over and cover unnecessarily a few times. It’ll happen, in the way we play and with him being new to the team. He improved second half and you could see Mings constantly talking to him. Over time working with Terry and getting used to the team around him I’m sure he’ll be a good acquisition 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Posted this in the match thread:

22 hours ago,  dont_do_it_doug. said: 

Targett isn't 'top class' and so he is probably going to get tucked up by the Timo Werner's of this world from time to time. 

Don’t disagree he’s up against a good player. But it’s the basic defensive principles or lack of them I should say.

Being too high than the rest of the defensive line. Not pressuring the ball as the first defender. Recovery run to get into position to deny that goal. 

These to me are not so much to do with who he’s marking but rather things that are non negotiable for a full back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think that is a bit OTT. He has been alright. Completely new team, where we have to figure out relations from scratch. Then add he has been playing with different players in front of him making that bit even harder.  

Then add the fact that Deano has us playing with wingers that cut inside and fullbacks are supposed to basically be wingbacks, meaning their positioning is very demanding. Then add the fact that we played against Leipzig who implemented very high pressure, meaning Targett and Guilbert got closed down very quickly when they moved forward. It's no coincidence they both had a below par match. Leipzig simply made their job very very difficult. 

Targett might be fine, might be poor. But at least give him a bit of time before jumping to conclusions. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I’m not jumping to conclusions!!!

im giving my opinion on the only full game I’ve seen him so far! 

Like I said the next full game I see him in he has a worldy I’ll congratulate him. 

But no use use sugar coating things. In my opinion. Yesterday. Especially 1st half. I thought he was very poor. 

Crazy thing, as a villa fan, I want him to be the best LB in the league! Marvelous!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Targett isn't 'top class' and so he is probably going to get tucked up by the Timo Werner's of this world from time to time. 

Don’t disagree he’s up against a good player. But it’s the basic defensive principles or lack of them I should say.

Being too high than the rest of the defensive line. Not pressuring the ball as the first defender. Recovery run to get into position to deny that goal. 

These to me are not so much to do with who he’s marking but rather things that are non negotiable for a full back. 

I'll look more at that in the coming games. I'm perhaps a bit blinded by his attacking and passing attributes that I think are top class. Didn't see any major lapses defensively, but that part of his game I didn't pay too much attention to. Guess players comes away with it if it doesn't lead to goals etc. Assuming you are right let's hope Mings and Terry and others coaches him to fulfill those duties as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

I’m not jumping to conclusions!!!

im giving my opinion on the only full game I’ve seen him so far! 

Like I said the next full game I see him in he has a worldy I’ll congratulate him. 

But no use use sugar coating things. In my opinion. Yesterday. Especially 1st half. I thought he was very poor. 

Crazy thing, as a villa fan, I want him to be the best LB in the league! Marvelous!

You should not give an opinion until we've played half a season. Until then, we should keep quiet and hope for the best.

18 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

I don't necessarily disagree, one does not preclude the other. You probably get away with those lapses in concentration, or whatever they are, against lesser opposition. 

As has been said of the summer signings in general, some will take longer to settle than others, some won't make it at all. We will continue to sign the occasional dud, whether they be £2m or £20m. I'm certainly not saying Targett is that, but I'll be bearing it in mind and definitely I agree he has a lot to work on. 

• Like 1

Without making any judgements on him since i didn't see the game I still think it's only natural to have big expectations on a £14-18m player.

It's very much money and hoppfully he'll live up to the price tag.

Â