Matt Targett

villan-scott

8 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Why can't we ever have a reliable LB? Not sold on this guy, or at least expected more. 

Eh? He was up against top notch opposition today, he's going to be up against it. 

If we're lambasting Taylor for his lack of forward play then it's pretty brutal to be expecting Targett to be a full on attacking wing back (in a back 4) and then expect him to be in a mighty fine defensive position too. 

It's when he's out of position defensively and not providing any attacking threat that we should worry. 

These players aren't robots and can't be in multiple places at once. If we want Guilbert and Targett providing chances then we're going to have to accept they can't just simply be sprint back and be in place to defend moments later. This is where Heaton, Engles and Mings really have to earn their corn.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Why can't we ever have a reliable LB? Not sold on this guy, or at least expected more. 

He's a £12m rated LB so of course when facing CL level players he's going to struggle a bit, but fortunately for him 70% of the Premier League doesn't have players that good. 

He'll do a job for us and when it's time for us to step up to another level he'll likely make us a decent profit. Not everyone here is part of Villa's future if things work out, but we need players on the cheap that can do a job against most teams. Targett is that kind of player.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

We must have got him in a bargain since we didn't pay 25million 😉

It was a tongue in cheek statement, someone mentioned that his price increases with every post,... I think it’s £35miliion well spent 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Come on mate. Let’s give the boy a chance. I actually thought he did quite well today but there is clearly more to come. We are in the best position we have been in for years and it’s time for us to play our part. They deserve our support come what may. Let’s get behind all of them for the entire season. If we do, it could be special 

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not sold on him either.

That performance was not good.

Yeah but neither was McGinn's or Grealish's performance very good. I think he might take a little time to settle but surely people shouldn't be judging him after a couple of re season games???!! Lets give all of them time to settle. 

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not sold on him either.

That performance was not good.

ok hands up I didn't see the match but I will say this.  when full backs push on the defensive midfielder needs to drop in and cover when play breaks down.  I cant say whether hourihanne was doing this but I suspect not because it's not his strength.  hence we bought 2 cdm's.  I'd say judge targett when he's playing alongside a proper cdm.  

He's the new scapegoat!  We've found him!  Unless he scores a hat trick every game, it's going to be constant drivel about how shit Targett is.  

Personally, I rate the kid.  He'll turn out great for us this season.

I'll be holding my opinion on Targett until he's had at least 10 PL appearances for the club. He's been with the club for 4-5 weeks and a couple of friendly games, it far too early for any considered opinion.

Â