Matt Targett

villan-scott

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seems I’m alone with not being impressed so I’ll wait until I see him some more before I comment further. I’ll have my notepad ready :)

I’m kinda with you.... 

I have neither been impressed or...not impressed. I think partly the problem for me is that Guilbert is the full back we have needed for years and has impressed me...(I know it’s pre season blah blah) and i want Target to be the same on the left. He has looked tidy enough and I have no reason to say that he is naff. 

I feel the same about Target as I do for the new home shirt. It’s alright.... but it’s growing on me. 

• Like 1

I think we play so much better football with Targett as you can tell he is much more comfortable on the ball. Plus his passing is quick and crisp. Not seen him having to defend too much yet so will be interesting to see how he does against Charlton and RB Leipzig

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I think we play so much better football with Targett as you can tell he is much more comfortable on the ball. Plus his passing is quick and crisp. Not seen him having to defend too much yet so will be interesting to see how he does against Charlton and RB Leipzig

Total agreement with this.

He is very neat and tidy but the real test will come against better opposition. Both fullbacks like to bomb on, which is great, but I do worry about Guilbert and Targetts defensive abilites...

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've taken shits that are better than Neil Taylor at Left Back so needless to say Targett looks like a decent step up.

I thought Taylor was decent for us last season, I expect Targett to be a big upgrade, especially for the reported fee

11 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Will look better when El Ghazi is playing Infront of him instead of Green. 

Think this is the big factor for me too. Green hasn't looked very good and sadly I don't think he has much of a future with us, his general play just isn't at a good enough level. RHM looked so much better than Green yesterday.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've taken shits that are better than Neil Taylor at Left Back so needless to say Targett looks like a decent step up.

I agree that he is playing for a captive audience in that sense, but he looks very composed in possession. Difficult to access in ore season but I'm hopeful he will be a big player for us. 

17 hours ago, av1 said:

I agree that he is playing for a captive audience in that sense, but he looks very composed in possession. Difficult to access in ore season but I'm hopeful he will be a big player for us. 

yeah, i watched the Walsall match back again, although he didnt do anything spectacular, he was really composed on the ball and moved it around well, looked like he fits in to the passing style well, he looked confident on the ball and played a few nice passes etc.

Im sure once he gets a good winger ahead of him, it will help him a bit, like Hassan or El Ghazi.

he's on a completely different level to Taylor.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

I think he looks quite slow tbh. He's not an athletic player, he's a technical one. He can play football so he'll fit in and play some good stuff, but may get some roastings this year.

• Like 1

Put in 2 superb sliding tackles and was unlucky not to get an assist, that cross was just out of Hogans reach but a lovely curling ball almost onto a players run.. have we EVER seen Taylor put a ball in like that?

Our expectation has been much higher. We used to like seeing Hutton at LB (which fair enough he did a job there), but we really didn't have proper players as FB, apart from Amavi who was injured early on. Bertrand was ok as a loan. Walker did a good job. Lowton had a potential. But we really experienced some below average players. Targett would have been better than most. Thats what happen when your squad have proper players.

I don't know how the Premier League changed, and I'm not saying we're guaranteed to stay up. But we use to stay up while being rubbish. The likes of Targett would have been the 4 one in the team sheet. Now we're considering him as the weak link.

Which is all good to be honest. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Seems to be a fantastic player, so calm and good on the ball, finds solutions in tight situations, full of running, an threat going forward and hardly put a foot wrong today. Looks even better than Guilbert imo!

He was out of position a lot first half though. He’ll get assists and will help us going forward but think both full backs will be at fault for us conceding this season 

Liked what he did going forward today, could see potential.  I think the coaching team will need to help him with the defensive side.  Definitely a step up from Taylor though.

Â