Matt Targett

villan-scott

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Just me who loves him taking corners and generally our set pieces?

Gets terrific whip on the ball, hit a very nice corner early second half just before the penalty and was very clever to spot Traore and pretty much correct pace to reach him.

Does bemuse me it took us 7 months of the season to try him on them given how rubbish we've been at set pieces most of the season so hope it continues next season.

For now, he’s our best option. Traore’s delivery is decent too.

Jack can stay away 🤣

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Just thinking, who was the last LB we had that was as good or better than Matt?

Charlie Aitken.  :)

(OK, Alan Wright). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He’s become our best in aaaaaaages.

What a huge improvement & what a season 👏 

Staunton in his first stint with the club - good defender and quality going forward - might be on a par.

For me, he is better than Bouma due to his delivery. Alan Wright was solid, but not as good as Targett this season.

• Like 3

Just now, mjmooney said:

Charlie Aitken.  :)

(OK, Alan Wright). 

The first names that came to mind were Bouma, Wright & Staunton (lovely left peg).

My memory isn’t clear enough to say whether they had as much to their game.

I must be missing some out in between…

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He’s become our best in aaaaaaages.

What a huge improvement & what a season 👏 

Cissokho. No. Taylor. No. Warnock. No.

I think Bouma might be more nostalgia.

Alan Wright baby.

Staunton was a top player but easy to forget in mid 90s he played a fair bit as LCB in Little's system. 96 cup final he was only on the bench as Wright went seasons without ever missing a game, had a ridiculous fitness record. Probably played more at LB for ROI in those times.

Bouma had a really solid 07/08 for us but didn't offer a huge amount going forward.

Thought Samuel was excellent between 2002-04 in both areas but then declined soon after.

Woeful run of left backs after bouma got injured so we were due a good one. Targett reminds me of the 09/10 Warnock in a few ways before his form completely declined so hopefully same dosen't happen here as his improvement has been a brilliant surprise to me this season.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2021 at 12:03, Dante_Lockhart said:

Cissokho. No. Taylor. No. Warnock. No.

I think Bouma might be more nostalgia.

Alan Wright baby.

Warnock went to a world cup on the back of his performances for Villa to be fair. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Warnock went to a world cup on the back of his performances for Villa to be fair. 

He was outstanding his first season with us under MON.  He fell off so badly under Houllier and Eck, though, that his good performances were completely forgotten.  

• Like 2

Warnock was decent to start with though he had a fall out with Houllier from his Liverpool days. He was pretty poor in the end but people were accusing him of scoring deliberate own goals which was ridiculous 

I always thought Bouma was a much better centre back than a FB. Luke Young was solid at left back when asked. Alan Wright definitely was good for us. I still remember Les Ferdinand back post about to nod it in and Alan Wright out of nowhere outleaps him.

On 25/05/2021 at 07:07, Jas10 said:

Loved little Wrighty! 😆

Remember these crackers?

Christ I loved both those goals. Delaney to Dublin to Wright is my crack. And the flick up for the Boro goal... wow.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Warnock was decent to start with though he had a fall out with Houllier from his Liverpool days. He was pretty poor in the end but people were accusing him of scoring deliberate own goals which was ridiculous 

Don’t think it was deliberate but I was one of the vocal few against him on this board. Awful player. Even his first season I didn’t particularly rate as high as some here. What a nightmare. Never seen someone give away as many free kicks as him right at the edge of the box, drove me mad. 

Amazing improvement this season, defending and going forward!

Last season he folded under pressure - he often looked like a deer caught in headlights. He gained confidence to play in small rooms and improve his link up play, probably helped quite a lot by Jack.

The fantastic part is that now he doesn't need Jack to perform like this, he reached a new baseline and has become a consistent high performer regardless of who is on that LW.

Â