Matt Targett

villan-scott

I like Targett and he was good last season.

I do think he is at his ceiling however, I don’t think he has the raw physical ability to go further. 

Not a problem for now and certainly not a concern. However I think in the next two summers we will look at replacing him. 

For now him and Young cover us there fine so I think it will depend on Young, who I expect us to get 2 good years from. 

21 hours ago, 7392craig said:

If we’re going to be mainly utilising this 3-5-2 going forward, then I think we’ll need to look at replacing him eventually. I rate him, but he’s not a top 6 fullback imo.

I don’t think that would be our best formation. We’ll need Bailey and Buendia for creativity. 

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t think that would be our best formation. We’ll need Bailey and Buendia for creativity. 

True, I can’t see Bailey being signed as anything but a starter. Nice to have options in the squad though, we’ve not had a plan B for years.

1 hour ago, 7392craig said:

True, I can’t see Bailey being signed as anything but a starter. Nice to have options in the squad though, we’ve not had a plan B for years.

Ofcourse, that’s why I’m saying I don’t think our plan A is 3 at the back.

Maybe playing Bailey and Buendia with one of the strikers. But again it’s a game by game plan I reckon. Also it will depend on the form of players.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think he has been bad this season, Watford game aside where he had a dog's dinner of a performance. 

A back four of Cash Konsa Mings and Targett with Emi Martinez behind them is a great defence imo. 

Edited by TreeVillan

He is a defender not a wing back

Only overlapped a couple of times and when did look good.

Plays to safe for me and thats the issue...neither good...neither bad.

But offers little going forward 

No point playing in a 3. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I like Targett and don't really have any issue with his performance when taking in context the kind of player he is, but at the same time I think he's the biggest weakness in this formation in possession as he just isn't dynamic enough as a wing back. He's not exactly fast and doesn't carry the ball at all himself so we have next to nothing going on down that whole side of the pitch. Playing in a 4 again and I've no qualms at all with him really.

One thing I would have always said about Targett is a decent final delivery...but that has been lacking this year bar a ball for Watkins' goal at Spur.

Personally, I don't think he can mentally handle playing infront of a crowd. Especially a VP crowd that was a bit angsty with everything towards the end of the first half. It seems to effect him far too much.

5 minutes ago, May-Z said:

One thing I would have always said about Targett is a decent final delivery...but that has been lacking this year bar a ball for Watkins' goal at Spur.

Personally, I don't think he can mentally handle playing infront of a crowd. Especially a VP crowd that was a bit angsty with everything towards the end of the first half. It seems to effect him far too much.

I think has missed playing behind Jack and is struggling because of it and hasnt adapted his game, I think he's been a bit off so far this season.  I hope he gets back.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think has missed playing behind Jack and is struggling because of it and hasnt adapted his game, I think he's been a bit off so far this season.  I hope he gets back.

He was so good last year that I was a bit  annoyed he didn't get an England call.

Jack definitely gave him that confidence in the sense that he knew he always had an out ball in any situation, bit like a safety net.

1 hour ago, Bazmonkey said:

No point playing in a 3. 

He defended really well today but offers little in attack. He is capable as shown when playing with Jack. Seems to lack confidence. 

1 hour ago, Bazmonkey said:

No point playing in a 3. 

Yep. A better version of Neil Taylor. Never going to be a proper wing back.

• Like 1

Â