Matt Targett

villan-scott

In a round about, strange kind of way, I'm a little bit relieved he was injured.

Not because I wanted him to be, but because I needed an explanation as to why our centre backs looked so exposed down the left side time after time...

Lack of fitness, clearly... I'm sure he'll come good.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Thug said:

In a round about, strange kind of way, I'm a little bit relieved he was injured.

Not because I wanted him to be, but because I needed an explanation as to why our centre backs looked so exposed down the left side time after time...

Lack of fitness, clearly... I'm sure he'll come good.

Don't think fitness should be a issue after a full pre-season 

2 hours ago, Savo'sleftpeg said:

it really really shouldn't, plus training every day. and was fit enough to be in our first two matchday squads over guilbert.

not writing him off but he was the one signing i had my doubts over. i hope he's not injured long and has a chance to prove me wrong soon

5 hours ago, Savo'sleftpeg said:

...unless you're carrying an injury.

I don't think we're going to see much of him until November / December if this is a recurring muscle injury, but at least we know Guilbert can cover there. I'd probably rather have Elmo + out-of-position Guilbert than Guilbert + Taylor.

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

...unless you're carrying an injury.

I don't think we're going to see much of him until November / December if this is a recurring muscle injury, but at least we know Guilbert can cover there. I'd probably rather have Elmo + out-of-position Guilbert than Guilbert + Taylor.

Should he have been risked if he was carrying any injury, hopefully nothing too serious though 

1 hour ago, Savo'sleftpeg said:

Should he have been risked if he was carrying any injury, hopefully nothing too serious though 

Depends how bad it was, or if he was indeed carrying it on the way into the game. Who knows? It's rare for any professional footballer to be 100% fit.

He does have previous though - TransferMarkt has him out for 200 days with a hamstring injury in 2016/17.

Finally managed to watch the replay of the Crewe match...  No idea why Targett is getting slated...  If it's because he isn't Guilbert, that isn't a good enough reason.  I thought he was solid enough on his debut.  

• Like 2

Agreed that targett actually well before he off injury's as I watch Crewe and targett is did good job and he show he can defend in aerial, and good control, pass well, go overlap right time only slightly problem about him in this games sometime overlap mistime running and got hit counter attack, yet he able back line to cover hause when he cover for him which good defence job, and occasionally, he pull easy out of position by Crewe winger, as bit lack support from winger 

But I would play him over Taylor cos his ability attack like gulibert did right lane and he can defend aerial which Taylor poor at this which value to defend from set piece and cross, long ball which Taylor often let ball over his head due don't have ability defend and header win.

No offence Taylor he is brilliant form last 3 games, very good defence again back but attack still need practice hopefully he improve this area so we will good left back deptment which I will happy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We're crying out for an over-lapping left-back to contribute to direct attacking play, do we know when this man is fit?

I like Taylor and think he's solid, but a bit of directness down that will give us another option in an otherwise struggling offensive unit (so far).

Starting to feel this guy could really make or break our season. Quite a bold statement to make but a competent overlap from the left freeing up space for the central guys and another crosser for big Wes could really change a lot for us, even though we will be sacrificing the solidity of Taylor for it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Inspiration said:

Starting to feel this guy could really make or break our season. Quite a bold statement to make but a competent overlap from the left freeing up space for the central guys and another crosser for big Wes could really change a lot for us, even though we will be sacrificing the solidity of Taylor for it.

It'll absolutely transform us in possession.

He has issues defensively, but so does Taylor.

I know dean smith said try and win every game, but cant see targett playing against arsenal even if fit.

I could see fred gilbert playing left back and Elmo on the right with trez in front of him.

Would like to see targett get some game time, only because we are so negative and weak down the left when attacking.

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'd rather bring Targett in v Burnley just because we're likely to lose Arsenal game anyway. Don't want confidence being dented.

I think we should go in to every game with the mindset of ‘we can beat whoever we play’ but at the same time, I don’t want us to be arrogant 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Doesn't deserve to get into the side. Cup game was his chance, he looked poor. Taylor been solid

But at the expense of the goals for column, defence he has been far better than I imagined but that's also because we have more defending to do. If we attack more we have less defending to do.

Elmo was solid but unspectacular and he is far more attacking than taylor. Would you rather fred gilbert or Elmo at right back ? 

Â