Matt Targett

villan-scott

Telegraph reporter Sam Wallace reporting that this deal will go through soon. 

14m ish on the fee. Good young English left back, seems decent business to me. Although, some Saints fans saying it’s a good deal for them. 

Let’s see how it goes. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Telegraph reporter Sam Wallace reporting that this deal will go through soon. 

14m ish on the fee. Good young English left back, seems decent business to me. Although, some Saints fans saying it’s a good deal for them. 

Let’s see how it goes. 

is he a reliable source?

It's good to see we're buying sensibly, Targett has potential and will improve under Dean Smith. £14m is peanuts in this league and arguably better value than the often quoted £20m for Championship players. I just wish Bournemouth could be as reasonable when it comes to Mings! 

Edited by Darth Villa
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

is he a reliable source?

I believe so yes. Any Telegraph sports reporter usually is, and he is stating it as fact, not ‘ready to bid’ or ‘considering an offer of...’

Looks like this one could be tied up swiftly. 

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

I believe so yes. Any Telegraph sports reporter usually is, and he is stating it as fact, not ‘ready to bid’ or ‘considering an offer of...’

Looks like this one could be tied up swiftly. 

Nice one then.

7 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Saints fans coming in stating he has a real lack of pace. Not ideal, but hopefully can ensure he is positionally sound to negate the fact he lacks a bit of pace. 

Maybe we should have kept Hutton.

Edit: @Jareth beat me to it.  😄

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure about this one.

I recall a Villatalker mentioning him as a possible loan deal early last season. I'd never heard of him so watched the next live Southampton game that he played in to check him out. I have to say that he looked a bit clueless defensively in that game and when he did get forward he never had the pace to beat the right back to get a cross in. It stuck in my memory that I was glad there was no chance of it happening. Now I'm reading £14m and hoping that it was an off game for him and not his normal standard. 

Having said all that, it's not fair to judge someone on one game and playing for another club. He could be great for us - I wish him well if all is true and he joins and hope he does well with us. 

I think it's always difficult to take other fans opinions as gospel. We've had very bad opinions of players who have gone on to do great at clubs they have signed for. Fulham seemed to like him, maybe he just never fitted at Southampton. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

What Targett has for him is that he is pretty tall for a left back, a good crosser and a passer. Defensively? Not really sure. 

Yeah, it seems he good footballer but not a great defender. Hopefully he can learn the defensive side of the game under Smith, and develop as a player. Meant to have a cracking left foot so hopefully balls into Wesley will be a weapon. 

Also, he’s 6ft so good height for a left back. 

Â