Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

kurtsimonw

I still get every COD, though haven't played the last 2 or 3 all that much, anyone else going to get this?

Not much out about this one as of  yet, but new engine, the few shots that've been shown so far look superb.

Apparently the story is a reboot of the Modern Warfare series.

• 1 month later...

I am 100% getting this game and anyone not paying attention to this particular release needs to look into it. 

This game is shaping up to be one of the best Call of Duty games in a long time.

Modern Warfare has a 12 hour single player campaign that is grounded, realistic and authentic with missions taken from the headlines. The campaign has no failure states for friendly fire, and the campaign will also have countless morality checks. Fail these morality checks and the mission doesn't end, but it does affect how your squad interact with you. 

Modern Warfare also has the full suite of multiplayer modes.

It has Spec Ops which is a series of co-op game modes. They haven't gone into exactly what the modes are, but I fully expect it to be a wave defence style mode. 

It's the main meat of the multiplayer though where the game starts to look and feel a bit different compared to past Call of Duty multiplayer modes.

Modern Warfare has;

2 vs 2 modes
6 vs 6 modes
10 vs 10 modes
20 vs 20 modes
32 vs 32 modes
and 50 vs 50 modes

On top of that it also has a Realism mode which strips the HUD, makes headshots count for more, makes the player have to count rounds in the magazine and slows the gameplay down dramatically.

2 vs 2 has it's own unique set of maps that are based around being very small and allowing for very tactical gameplay. 2 vs 2 is likely where the Rainbow Six: Siege fans are going to live as the mode is very slow, very tactical and rewards good call outs. 2 vs 2 also has no health regen and no respawns, so expect those matches to get very sweaty.    

6 vs 6 and 10 vs 10 runs the plethora of game types that you've come to expect in Call of Duty and Battlefield with a new one called Cyber Attack. The Cyber Attack mode plays similarly to Search and Destroy in that you have one life, and no respawns, but there is a revive mechanic and the bomb spawns randomly on the map. The mode looks very cool and is yet another mode pushing team work and communication. 6 vs 6 and 10 vs 10 also have their own unique maps.

20 vs 20, 32 vs 32 and 50 vs 50 take place on large maps, Battlefield sized maps and will apparently support ATV's, Helicopters and Tanks. The only game mode confirmed for large maps right now is Ground War which comes in a Team Deathmatch, or Domination flavour. 

The changes don't stop there though. Call of Duty also has night maps which require the use of Night Vision Goggles to see which changes gameplay quite a bit. The first major change here is that you can't aim down sights with NVG's on meaning aiming is slightly compromised, but to help with that the gun does come with an IR laser. So when you aim as if you're aiming down sights, the player will tilt the gun to one side, a laser will turn on and that will assist your aim, but everyone else has NVG's on too so friend or foe can see this laser, meaning aiming only when necessary is key to survival on night maps.  

Modern Warfare also has a full projectile weapon system, and fully accurate weapon ballistics. Guns behave and handle accurately, while the player on large maps will have to lead their target and also compensate for bullet drop.

Maps also have doors for the first time allowing you to open and close doors. Doing this can have a multitude of tactical benefits for a defender or an attacker.

Oh one thing I forgot when talking about guns. The game has an extensive Gunsmith tool allowing for limitless customisation of weapons. Each weapon in Modern Warfare has between 30 to 60 attachments and you can equip 5 at any one time. So you can change the barrel, receiver, magazines, grips, sights, stocks and all sorts of other things. 

This is probably the most in depth a Call of Duty game has ever gone. The gameplay has been changed. The game is running on an all new graphics engine so it looks super nice. There is something for everyone in this new Call of Duty and it's looking very very good indeed. At a time where Battlefield seems to be letting down its fan base, we now have Call of Duty offering almost everything Battlefield 4 had minus the destruction. I know some will look at it and say "Urgh Call of Duty, I hate it", but anyone that doesn't just write it off instantly might have a great game to play this October.  

• Like 1

Just now, dubbs said:

What about zombies????

No zombies in this release. According to Infinity Ward the aim of this new Modern Warfare is authenticity and zombies didn't fit what they were going for. They have Spec Ops to replace it, but they haven't detailed what Spec Ops actually is aside from it being co-op modes.

53 minutes ago, Daweii said:

No zombies in this release. According to Infinity Ward the aim of this new Modern Warfare is authenticity and zombies didn't fit what they were going for. They have Spec Ops to replace it, but they haven't detailed what Spec Ops actually is aside from it being co-op modes.

Really? Well that sucks.  Unless Spec Ops is something completely different im not sure I'll bother with this release. 

I hope Activision paid well for that copy :)

Spec Ops was in MW2 back in the day. It was a series of challenges, most of which could be done in co-op, that were mostly based around the single player levels but with different kinds of objectives - stuff like wave survival, time attack etc etc. They were really good fun. Had some great nights at uni doing a wave survival match based around defending a house. 

Gameplay I've seen does look a lot more my cup of tea. I've not been a fan with all the flying around and super-speed games they've released the last few years. The maps look a lot more old school rather than the 3 lane stuff, and the movement seems a lot slower, which is what I much prefer.

The lack of the mini-map will almost certainly be an issue, though, and I wouldn't be shocked if it's added to the game at some point. It'll encourage a lot more campier play, especially with the slower game speed. I believe most people used it to place themselves in and around their team and to have a general idea where the enemy is on the map, even without a UAV up, but now it could be a bit messy.

It wasn't active in the current build, but your team mates show up with an outline through walls so you'll know where they are at all times.

Plus the compass at the top of the screen tells you where gun fire came from so you can still chase dots if you want.

Plus if you like the mini-map, then the personal UAV which gives you the mini-map is like a 2 kill-streak. So select that and Call of Duty starts to feel like old Call of Duty again very very fast.

I personally think it'll be fun to play a Call of Duty without a mini-map for once. Maybe it will wind up being a bad thing, but I also think it's one of those changes that will feel second nature after 10 or so hours of playing. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bit of a let down. Like with most games, it's hard to judge from video gameplay. It looked the part, but it's very clunky and Battlefield-like. 

Was hoping for something more along the lines of WAW OR BO1 type play. Better than the last few games, but not great IMO. 

I have played a good 8 hours of the beta so far on PC and this game feels so good to play. 

This game has something for everyone;

2v2 is great tactical fun with shades of Rainbow Six: Siege about it. There are no killstreaks, no mini-map, just 100% team work on small maps with a very short round time limit. It's great, it's tense and it feels like nothing Call of Duty has done before.

6v6 is standard Call of Duty on medium sized maps. This is where Modern Warfare feels like Modern Warfare. It's fast, it's intense and if you liked that era of Call of Duty then 6v6 is the traditional experience.

20v20 is where Call of Duty starts to feel like Battlefield. This mode takes place on large maps, larger than any map in a Call of Duty game and it's insane fun. If you like that slower gameplay as you traverse the map not knowing where enemies could be holed up then 20v20 is for you.

32v32 is insane. This mode takes place on maps that are as big as almost any Battlefield map. This mode has Tanks, APC's, Helicopters and Quad Bikes to get around on. It plays like traditional Battlefield Conquest, you can spawn on squad, spawn on captured flags and you can drop ammo for squadmates. This is Call of Duty does Battlefield and while it isn't perfect, this is likely the closest a Battlefield fan is going to get to a new Battlefield game set in the modern day for a while, and given DICE's recent output there is no guarantee that when that game does come out that it'll even be good. 

There are then other modes like NVG which sets the matches on night maps with night vision goggles. This mode is tense and slow paced with an element of strategy, as aiming down sights is via an IR laser which is great, but the enemy can also see this so only aim and shoot if you know it's not going to give your position away. This mode feels very Ghost Recon and it's very cool.

That's Modern Warfare. It's not strictly Call of Duty this time. There is something for Siege fans, Battlefield fans, Ghost Recon fans and if Realism mode feels just as different to the core game as the other changes then that may appeal to Insurgency/Counter-Strike fans. This is a jack of all trades, master of none type release and it's very fun. This is the most unique and new feeling Call of Duty since Call of Duty 4. The series has never seen an evolution in gameplay, sound and player counts like this and it's great. Now it's not perfect, but this is a great foundation to build on. My only gripe is given 32v32 has vehicles, I wish they turned off killstreaks, I don't think they are needed in a mode when each team has Tanks and Helicopters. 

All in all it's great fun. 

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, PieFacE said:

This game sucks. Hoping Ground War can save it but I doubt it. The ttk is crazy low. 

World at War and BO1 will forever be the best because their ttk was great.

Even the much hated MP40 killed slower than pretty much every gun in every other COD.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Â