Parking (Hotel?) or other?

jackbauer24

This is travel related!

I'm off on a very long honeymoon - leave 25th July, back 31st August. Flying in and out of Gatwick South.

In previous years, especially with 'normal' holidays I've used the likes of Holidayextras for parking plus hotel the night before. Due to the duration of this holiday it has become prohibitively expensive - talking £250+. Trains don't seem much better. Taxis are ridiculously expensive. Both concern me as regards reliability - getting there in good time (hence why we've used hotels night before) or becoming invalid if flight home is delayed.

Any recommendations? Or is it just going to be expensive however I approach it?

I guess it depends where your starting point is, but If it were me, i'd be getting the train there and still stay overnight.

If you have a rail card you can save a 1/3rd on the price. A two together card is £30.

No pressure with the train, you can sit back and relax. As they say, let the train take the strain.

It's a great way to start the holiday and after all it is your honeymoon.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Just Park offers you someone’s drive way for those dates for £89 .. you’d probably need an uber to the airport on top but that won’t be fortunes 

I've used that for Stansted, the guy even drove me to the airport for a fiver rather than use uber / taxi

flight got cancelled and I had to run a couple of miles back to his, drive to brum, get caught speeding, park outside the front door and take a flight from there anyway but that's another story :lol: bloke gave me some money back too cos he managed to find someone else to park there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Just Park offers you someone’s drive way for those dates for £89 .. you’d probably need an uber to the airport on top but that won’t be fortunes 

I've used Just Park before... But hadn't considered it for this. Might investigate that...

10 hours ago, imavillan said:

I guess it depends where your starting point is, but If it were me, i'd be getting the train there and still stay overnight.

If you have a rail card you can save a 1/3rd on the price. A two together card is £30.

No pressure with the train, you can sit back and relax. As they say, let the train take the strain.

It's a great way to start the holiday and after all it is your honeymoon.

Had a look, works out £110 from New Street to Gatwick then still have the whole what if flight is delayed etc. Plus massive luggage is not fun on the train...

Thanks though - will look at it properly this weekend.

16 minutes ago, choffer said:

Find a VT’er who lives close, park on their drive and have them run you to the airport. I think @tonyh29 is probably your best bet ;)

I did think about offering but I’m away the same time so couldn’t do the chauffeuring  ... I’m nearer LHR , Gatwick is a £50 + each way taxi ride from my place , so just park seemed a better option :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/06/2019 at 20:34, jackbauer24 said:

This is travel related!

I'm off on a very long honeymoon - leave 25th July, back 31st August. Flying in and out of Gatwick South.

In previous years, especially with 'normal' holidays I've used the likes of Holidayextras for parking plus hotel the night before. Due to the duration of this holiday it has become prohibitively expensive - talking £250+. Trains don't seem much better. Taxis are ridiculously expensive. Both concern me as regards reliability - getting there in good time (hence why we've used hotels night before) or becoming invalid if flight home is delayed.

Any recommendations? Or is it just going to be expensive however I approach it?

I can't stand it but what about national express? The big luggage isn't an issue cause it's stowed away underneath and it's normally cheap as chips. I've been known to use it when it's clearly the sensible option, and actually last couple of times haven't been too bad.

Also, does it have to be hotel with parking? Could you find a cheap premier inn or something nearby or en route then just pay for and drive to a normal long stay at the airport on morning of your flight?

• Like 1

Problem with no hotel the night before is the wife to be freaks out about getting down to the airport, getting stuck in traffic etc - it's just not worth the hassle! Get down night before, relax and sleep well before getting flight the next day. Furthermore it's actually the parking that is the primary cost - simple parking for that duration is about £210.

But doesn't rule out National Express, will look at that too. My brother-in-law suggested hiring a car so that might be a way of doing it too! No parking!

30 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Problem with no hotel the night before is the wife to be freaks out about getting down to the airport, getting stuck in traffic etc - it's just not worth the hassle! Get down night before, relax and sleep well before getting flight the next day. Furthermore it's actually the parking that is the primary cost - simple parking for that duration is about £210.

But doesn't rule out National Express, will look at that too. My brother-in-law suggested hiring a car so that might be a way of doing it too! No parking!

Holiday Inn at Worth offers double room the night before and parking for 21 days for £154  ... I know you want longer but they say you can top it up  ( they don't show the top up price on the website )

they also have a parking club that you can join for free and get access to upto 20% discount

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Holiday Inn at Worth offers double room the night before and parking for 21 days for £154  ... I know you want longer but they say you can top it up  ( they don't show the top up price on the website )

they also have a parking club that you can join for free and get access to upto 20% discount

Went straight there because that sounded good - but then it's a tenner per day (and only allows 10 additional online) so makes it £164 + £170 = £334.

Ouch. But it's looking however I approach it it's going to be expensive!

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2019 at 11:04, tomav84 said:

I can't stand it but what about national express? The big luggage isn't an issue cause it's stowed away underneath and it's normally cheap as chips. I've been known to use it when it's clearly the sensible option, and actually last couple of times haven't been too bad.

Also, does it have to be hotel with parking? Could you find a cheap premier inn or something nearby or en route then just pay for and drive to a normal long stay at the airport on morning of your flight?

And this was final solution.

Booked National Express so save petrol (considerable in my thirsty scirocco!) and parking and then booked hotel directly at the airport (Bloc) so relaxed night before.

£160 all in. Hope I don't regret trying to save a few hundred!

• Like 1

Â