Jack Butland

alreadyexists

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Does FFP still affect us? 

I can't claim to know, but if we went down it surely would. I guess if we even paid 150m and stayed up there is no problem. But it could go either why, that's why we should put an eye if the worst happened. 

Although I'm really excited about the season and our approach. I just hope we can hold on our management and system even if it took a bit long. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I can't claim to know, but if we went down it surely would. I guess if we even paid 150m and stayed up there is no problem. But it could go either why, that's why we should put an eye if the worst happened. 

Although I'm really excited about the season and our approach. I just hope we can hold on our management and system even if it took a bit long. 

Yes, FFP still affects us, but it's a completely different set of rules in the Premier League.  Any clubs who have violated it have just been fined so far.  It's just yet another thing which protects the big clubs and keeps things status quo.  

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

One thing about him is that he’s very injury prone I think especially for a goalkeeper. If he  stays fit, he’ll be terrific for us. £20m is a lot of money but he’s a proven Premier League goalkeeper I think

Touch all the wood, but it seems to have been one injury, a fractured ankle for which he's had a couple of surgeries that kept him out for a season. Since then he's played two full seasons.

• Thanks 1

Announcement next week people are saying, for whatever reason. Butland has followed a lot of Villa related people on his twatter, and doesn't he already live in Brum? Looks to be done as far as I can see. Like that we are signing a lot of players that will have resale value. Its as if we're living in a parallel universe whereby AVFC is being run properly finally.

• Like 1

Our transfer activity is keeping Blues afloat this summer. Taking Jota off their books and giving them a few mill, and they’ll get a windfall from the Butland transfer with a % sell on clause apparently. 

Butland will be a great signing. Another £20m + showing that we mean business this summer. And it’s still only mid June. Exciting times ahead. 

First and foremost, I don’t doubt that Butland is an excellent keeper, and I was envious when he went to Stoke initially due to all the talk of his talents.  

However, at the moment, reading all these posts and twitter ‘confirmations’, I can’t help but feel anything other than bad for Steer. He’d drop down to number 2, having not put a foot wrong since he has been playing regularly for us. 

Im not sure what that means really because I’m usually thrilled with a new signing. I just think it is somewhat.. unnecessary?

Who knows, maybe it’s all bull like a lot of the rumours have been. 

Edited by Tayls

Watching Stoke last season, I remember thinking Butland is the keeper we should be in for. I think £20m is a tad overpriced (although, really, who the hell knows anymore) but he’s a very good goalkeeper IMO. 

Agreed Tayls.  I am a staunch supporter of keeping a winning team and form selection. I think Steer deserves to start the season in the PL regardless of who we end up signing, but I know this isn't realistic. 

And to be perfectly honest I think Steer is a bit underrated. Some keepers just bloom at different times than others. He is now 26 years old. Blowing £ 20 million on a new goalie when you might already have the right one seems odd. But in the end we just gotta trust our coaching team on this, and that I actually do. And it's a long bloody time since I could say that. 

6 minutes ago, Tayls said:

First and foremost, I don’t doubt that Butland is an excellent keeper, and I was envious when he went to Stoke initially due to all the talk of his talents.  

However, at the moment, reading all these posts and twitter ‘confirmations’, I can’t help but feel anything other than bad for Steer. He’d drop down to number 2, having not put a foot wrong since he has been playing regularly for us. 

Im not sure what that means really because I’m usually thrilled with a new signing. I just think it is somewhat.. unnecessary?

I thought the same at first... but I don’t think we can afford to be sentimental unfortunately. We’ve worked our arses off (Jed included) to get here, so we can’t take it lightly. Once the window is closed it’s closed until January.

Plus - it’s the same with any new signing, if you’re good enough then you take your chance when you get it. It is a little harsh on Steer, but it’s the same for Elmo (who did very well in the run in and play offs) when we’ve signed Guilbert the new RB, or for any other player when we sign someone for their position. I do get what you mean though, I feel bad for Jed, but if he’s better than Butland he’ll get his chance and he’ll take it.

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Watching Stoke last season, I remember thinking Butland is the keeper we should be in for. I think £20m is a tad overpriced (although, really, who the hell knows anymore) but he’s a very good goalkeeper IMO. 

When there were initially rumours about this I thought the same, but I’m coming round to the fact that £20m in the Premier is almost the starting price for established players. They’re talking about Man City being put off by an £80m price tag on Maguire! 

So for an important position like GK I suppose £20m is the going rate. I have some sympathy for Steer, but we can’t be sentimental. Being left light in the GK position, as we found out early last season, is a recipe for disaster. 

To be honest I was really keen on Etheridge, been really impressed with him, but this would still be a really good signing.

I wonder if we’ll be trying to shift 2 of Kalinic, Nyland or Sarkic on loan?

28 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

this one is quite telling aswell, guy on the VV, is pals with Chester I think. Has some inside knowledge.

Yeah he's always name dropping when he's on the podcast. Seems pally with a few of them, mentions he keeps on touch with Hourihane as well whenever he's on the podcast

23 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I thought the same at first... but I don’t think we can afford to be sentimental unfortunately. We’ve worked our arses off (Jed included) to get here, so we can’t take it lightly. Once the window is closed it’s closed until January.

Plus - it’s the same with any new signing, if you’re good enough then you take your chance when you get it. It is a little harsh on Steer, but it’s the same for Elmo (who did very well in the run in and play offs) when we’ve signed Guilbert the new RB, or for any other player when we sign someone for their position. I do get what you mean though, I feel bad for Jed, but if he’s better than Butland he’ll get his chance and he’ll take it.

Agreed. I also remember seeing an interview with a GK on SoccerAM (possibly Seaman) a few years ago when he was asked about the step up for a GK into the PL. He quickly replied about the increased physicality of the players and how hard they can hit the ball. This then obviously requires quicker reflexes, stronger wrists/hands and overall a bigger physical presence. Clearly Cutler and Smith do not see Jed as currently good enough for the PL and it maybe due to these reasons IMO. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Yeah he's always name dropping when he's on the podcast. Seems pally with a few of them, mentions he keeps on touch with Hourihane as well whenever he's on the podcast

That's all a bit sycophantic really - that said I'd like to marry Mings.

9 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Always cool when people do that. He must be cool.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I don’t want to ‘make do’ with some positions, if the opportunity is there lets sign genuine quality in every position on the pitch. 

Steer will get his chance and if he proves better than the new signing then all respect to him. 

Â