Jack Butland

alreadyexists

Just now, Jimmyg said:

Just on SSN the we have “officially ended interest” due to the 25m asking price but we are still on the look for a keeper. 

Sounds like hard ball to me...

Definitely. It's not like it's a position where we're immediately short of bodies. We could almost field a full defence of GK's. 

Also stated that Bournemouth are still interested, but I would be surprised if they meet that. 

Wouldn’t surprised if Butland puts in a transfer request anytime soon. 

Edited by Jimmyg

23 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I heard about 2 weeks ago that we told Stoke to **** off basically and instead are keen on Heaton. We have scouted him a fair bit apparently. 

I would be happy with Heaton. He's not a long term option but would tide us over for a couple of seasons.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I heard about 2 weeks ago that we told Stoke to **** off basically and instead are keen on Heaton. We have scouted him a fair bit apparently. 

I’m glad we are leaving the Butland talk behind. Heaton is the one I want. 

What's wrong with spending £25m on Butland?

£25m is nothing nowadays. We've just signed a player with 17 Prem appearances for £5m less, and we all know £5m is nothing nowadays. Burnley signed Ben Gibson for £15m and he only played 1 game! Man Utd have just spent £800m on a defender with one season in the league. Just pay the what they want, it's not our money...

...:trollface:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Heaton isn't the keeper he was, he's on a decline.

Kalinic and Nyland aren't trusted, Sarkic is on loan. We need a dominant keeper for the Premier League, Steer is a decent back up in my opinion.

Butland will leave Stoke, so Villa "ending official interest" is a kick up the backside for them.

18 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

What's wrong with spending £25m on Butland?

£25m is nothing nowadays. We've just signed a player with 17 Prem appearances for £5m less, and we all know £5m is nothing nowadays. Burnley signed Ben Gibson for £15m and he only played 1 game! Man Utd have just spent £800m on a defender with one season in the league. Just pay the what they want, it's not our money...

...:trollface:

While there’s some validity here, I think a difference is there are other keepers available who it could be argued would be smarter purchases - Etheridge for half the cost, Heaton for even less.

Also I would say bringing a central defender or two is far more critical than replacing Steer or Kalinic, so spending more on Mings is more justifiable.

• Like 1

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

While there’s some validity here, I think a difference is there are other keepers available who it could be argued would be smarter purchases - Etheridge for half the cost, Heaton for even less.

Also I would say bringing a central defender or two is far more critical than replacing Steer or Kalinic, so spending more on Mings is more justifiable.

I agree, to a point.

Butland, or any keeper, is one of those signings than can wait until the last day, if needs be (and if we're confident we can get our man for a better price). Without turning this into the Mings thread part 2, spending more on him is justifiable because he adds continuity from last year's squad, but equally, I'd suggest that he's also a player that we could have waited on. Yes, there would have been loads of calls for him to sign, but with the 'matching option' clause, we could have possibly waited to show Bournemouth that no-one else was going to offer them similar money for a player that didn't want to be there, and that they presumably don't need.

7 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

We've seen how many points keepers can cost you in both Gollini and Nyland in recent years.

Steer will be absolutely battered by shots and crosses in the PL, and we dont want to learn a third of the way through the season that he's not quite good enough.

Just now, turvontour said:

We've seen how many points keepers can cost you in both Gollini and Nyland in recent years.

Steer will be absolutely battered by shots and crosses in the PL, and we dont want to learn a third of the way through the season that he's not quite good enough.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t look to strengthen the keeper department.

I’m saying that going into the campaign with Steer & Kalinic as goal keeper options is, relatively, a much stronger position for us than having an inexperienced Hause and a physically battered Chester as literally are only central defenders.

Â