Jack Butland

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Rather have butland than etheridge.  Younger and more value for money

Yeah uf we sign butland he needs to be our number 1 for the next 6+ years or more ideally.

Edited by MaVilla

9 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Unless we then sign someone better!

Of course, but In reality if we spend 20m on a 26 year old goalkeeper there must be some expectation that he would be our number one for a decent amount of time.

If not then we may as well buy the best goalkeeper we can regardless of age, like 33 or more, as would probably be cheaper.

But yeah of course anything can happen, I just mean spending 20m on a 26 year old goalkeeper isn't chump change, and I would hope he would be a our number one for a while.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

I shouldn't have bothered!

After watching Jonas Mendes (Guinea Bissau) for 90 minutes instead of Edouard Mendy (Senegal) the other night I finally got to watch the right keeper. It was another 90 minutes wasted, he was clueless with his decision making, his handling was really dodgy, and apart from a couple of routine moments when his height got him to balls at full stretch he was poor.

The commentators pointed out that he was new to the international scene and still has a lot to learn, but he's already 27 for goodness sake!

You can trust me on this .... I'm now an expert on Mendes, erm I mean Mendy 🤣

My conclusion is that Mendy would be another short term disaster in the Premier League .... He makes Jack Butland look like a £20 million plus Goal Keeper. 

Come on Villa, let's get this Butland signing done .... You know it makes sense!

To be honest I don't like it but someone at the club see's something.

I agree though that with Kallinic going and Nyland won't be our No.1 so it will be Butland?? and Steer, although Butland does not fill me with you, there arn't many other keepers out there at the minute either that are attainable imo.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree though that with Kallinic going and Nyland won't be our No.1 so it will be Butland?? and Steer, although Butland does not fill me with you, there arn't many other keepers out there at the minute either that are attainable imo.

Image result for kenneth williams

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Stokes player of the season two seasons out of three, 9 England caps, was the number one until he broke his ankle. 

In all likelihood it's you missing it than them seeing some kind of hidden potential. Whether he's worth £20m is by the by, if he's the keeper we want let's go get him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Phillips - £25m - best DM in Champ but more importantly Leeds best player and they won't want to sell him so we will have to bid high. I think £18m would be fairer

Webster - £18m - best CB in the champ so I would pay the same as we pay for Mings no more

Targett - £16m - rumour is it is half that. I imagine £10m will get him. 

That's fine if we are building a team.for the championship.. hopefully it's going to be our squad players. (Butland aside)

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Stokes player of the season two seasons out of three, 9 England caps, was the number one until he broke his ankle. 

In all likelihood it's you missing it than them seeing some kind of hidden potential. Whether he's worth £20m is by the by, if he's the keeper we want let's go get him. 

Maybe I am missing it DDID. They obviously do see the potential and hopefully it works out well all round.

Dele Ali, Harry Maguire, Joe Gomez, Snake, Callum Wilson, John Stones, jack Buckland, James Tarkowski, Nathan Redmond .... We’re all signed from clubs not in the Premier League and have developed into full internationals. Not sure what my point is just pointing that out when people dismiss buying the championships better players. Some moaned when we brought overpriced prem players... 

Ps: posted in error in wrong thread ! 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

On 28/06/2019 at 09:40, MaVilla said:

Of course, but In reality if we spend 20m on a 26 year old goalkeeper there must be some expectation that he would be our number one for a decent amount of time.

If not then we may as well buy the best goalkeeper we can regardless of age, like 33 or more, as would probably be cheaper.

But yeah of course anything can happen, I just mean spending 20m on a 26 year old goalkeeper isn't chump change, and I would hope he would be a our number one for a while.

Nah. Buying the younger keeper gives you the option. Remember, we might outgrow him or he might outgrow us, but either way it will have been a sensible investment.

Buying the older keeper means whatever happens you'll have to find a replacement.

On 28/06/2019 at 14:56, thabucks said:

Dele Ali, Harry Maguire, Joe Gomez, Snake, Callum Wilson, John Stones, jack Buckland, James Tarkowski, Nathan Redmond .... We’re all signed from clubs not in the Premier League and have developed into full internationals. Not sure what my point is just pointing that out when people dismiss buying the championships better players. Some moaned when we brought overpriced prem players... 

Questions were raised on Liverpool signing Andy Robertson from relegated Hull. Now international captain and mentioned by many as potentially the best left back in the world. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Qwpzxjor1 said:

Questions were raised on Liverpool signing Andy Robertson from relegated Hull. Now international captain and mentioned by many as potentially the best left back in the world. 

This is such a good point

I'm sure he will sign by Wednesday, I'm back from majorca Tuesday. I'm off again to Greece in 3 weeks, I full expect our most exciting signing while I'm away. Last time preseason I went to Greece, we signed dean Saunders. I have high expectations!!

On 28/06/2019 at 14:11, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's fine if we are building a team.for the championship.. hopefully it's going to be our squad players. (Butland aside)

Nah, don't agree with you there. The whole point is that they are better than the Championship and fit in with our style of play and are players that also play in positions we're not blessed in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Nah, don't agree with you there. The whole point is that they are better than the Championship and fit in with our style of play and are players that also play in positions we're not blessed in. 

That is fair enough yeah, but will they be able to step up and deliver just as consistantly in the PL? That's what remains to be seen I guess.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That is fair enough yeah, but will they be able to step up and deliver just as consistantly in the PL? That's what remains to be seen I guess.

Not all of them will, no, but we seem to be building a squad with good depth across each position, rather than relying on a few big money signings to carry the team.

So long as a decent number of these signings manage to step up, we'll be in good shape. There's a long history of players performing well in the Prem immediately after a good Championship season. It's usually players from foreign leagues who take longer to adapt.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2019 at 01:56, thabucks said:

Lambert wanted to sign Dele Alli from MK Dons. Lucky for him. Probably would've ruined his career coming to us then

Â