Finances 2019/20

kidlewis

5 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Survival also increases our parachute payments from 2 years to 3 if we ever go down (I think?) So this really was a meaningful result for us!

Yes, this is correct. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Villa Park has been full virtually every game this season except maybe a cup game or two. Can't wait for that to be the case again sooner rather than later.

August 2021 at the earliest 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

It's also just the Uefa FFP not the Premier League one

yep this is going to be a big difference. I would hope that the PL ffp gets relaxed a little, but only the "continental" FFP has been relaxed up to this point

• 4 weeks later...

In Evans' latest article on the Athletic he states that the wage bill was reduced from 93 million to 65 million last summer. That really is an astounding amount considering we went up a division. Also it really shines a light on how much of a shitshow it was under the Dr.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

In Evans' latest article on the Athletic he states that the wage bill was reduced from 93 million to 65 million last summer. That really is an astounding amount considering we went up a division. Also it really shines a light on how much of a shitshow it was under the Dr.

Do you think he was just too lazy to look at the italics in this picture?

He certainly seems to chat a lot of crap to me.

image.png.a9fe9a1c4843cfa441bc180b4319ee0e.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Do you think he was just too lazy to look at the italics in this picture?

He certainly seems to chat a lot of crap to me.

image.png.a9fe9a1c4843cfa441bc180b4319ee0e.png

I don't doubt that the figures were probably wrong, but I also don't doubt that we bought the wage bill down. The players signed would've been on less money than the players we let go / released or retired.

I think the wage bill will go up this year though. By quite a margin!

7 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I don't doubt that the figures were probably wrong, but I also don't doubt that we bought the wage bill down. The players signed would've been on less money than the players we let go / released or retired.

I think the wage bill will go up this year though. By quite a margin!

I’m not sure but we released/lost players like Alan Hutton, Whelan, Snodgrass, Tammy etc. These were senior pros that would have been on very good wages and probably all had big bonuses for getting promoted. A lot of the lads that came in from abroad wouldn’t have been earning anything like PL money and so probably signed for less than if they’d come from even The Championship. They of course may have got bonuses for us staying up, which may not show in these figures. 

I agree the wages will almost certainly jump up a fair bit next season. 

Edited by DaveAV1

It will be interesting to see the wages in the accounts which will prove it one way or the other. 

It did seem to me that we massively overpaid many transfer fees over the Xia years, and also paid wages way way higher than we needed to. 

I've said it before, if a player was not going to The Premier League, they should have been desperate to play for a club like us. We should have been offering wages a little bit more than the next man and I am sure players would have wanted to come to us, and negotiated better with their clubs on price. 

I mean, if you were playing for someone like Barnsley and had the chance to play for Villa instead, and get a decent enough pay rise,  surely your would be desperate to make that move. 

We just seemed to throw money around like confetti in a totally unnecessary way. 

Hopefully the current guys play hard ball when negotiating and have better poker faces than Xia getting all over excited and publicly posting how we are close to something. 

That reduction in wages can't be right surely? Its like we were having Premier League wages in the Championship, and Championship wages in the Premier League.

If that is correct it shows that we are heading in the right direction in being sustainable, and hopefully successful in the longer term.