Jump to content
Tomaszk

Wesley Moraes

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

So you would rather have Agbonlahor, Ayew, Kozak and Gestede over Wesley, Kodjia and Davis?

Ok then

It's been 5 games... 5!

Not sure anyone has suggested we should have tried to re-sign any of them. 

Is one poster who might have actually :D 

Are you saying that those were the only other options available if we had £23m and another £15m or so for another one (Maupay)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We would all like him to be the new Tecker or Tamm, In my opinion he is more like Heskey

He is so big he should be bossing those defenders like Big John Carew and my all time favourite Peter Withe , instead of the other way around like Heskey, falls over far too much

Some one to one training with an oldie me thinks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem is he isn't bringing others into the match either. He isn't winning a lot of aerial duels, and he isn't scoring. I am not sure what he is doing that benefits the team so far. 

I don't mind a striker that doesn't score that often, if he brings others into the match and allows them to get chances. Wesley is doing nothing for the team so far. 

I'd be tempted to give Davis or Kodjia a chance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't get involved enough and doesn't look dangerous.

Him running into the box late on was worrying. No confidence or ideas and ended up softly kicking it at a defender. 

He's not ready to play week in week out in this league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be less worried if he had scored a load of goals elsewhere - we could write this off as a settling in period ...but he hasn't.

I don't think he is as poor as some suggest - but the fee looks way, way over the top

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we went after Wesley, I did the usual and checked out his "highlights reel" on You Tube and couldn't see why we were signing him. Nothing in his highlights reel suggested he was strong in the air OR on the ground OR that he was a good finisher in any way ..... and his performances to date are 100% in tune with his highlights reel !

You can argue that it is early days still but if he was going to make the grade on any level then you would expect to see signs of something out there and I'm not seeing it. He also looks miserable and moody and fed up and probably needs rescuing from a level that he doesn't seem able to deal with. If I had a magic wand, I'd send him out to League One or Two in the hope that he might find a confidence boosting game that he can bring back but - while I genuinely hope I end up eating my words - I really can't see him adding any value to the side and if we aren't careful, our stubborn determination to keep saying "still early days" might do some serious damage.

We are too light on forward talent - that was a big mistake made during the Summer. Our best bet is to give Kodjia the role he has always wanted as a free roaming forward, otherwise go with and stick with Davis who might benefit from actually having a run in the team instead of repeated cameo roles which are clearly screwing him up !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who know what he is being asked to do by the coaches?

Not going to get on his case as we just haven't supplied him with anywhere near enough chances and he is operating alone up top. Truth is he is one of three forwards, none of which are scoring so the problem is not him per-se its our forward line.

I hope Nakamba will allow J&J to get forward more and feed the forwards, but I equally think AEG and Jota are not contributing enough at present.

He did miss two very good chances which we are going to have to take if we are to succeed in this division, I think the second one just before half time was the very bad one and one where a confidence striker would tuck away without thinking. Hopefully he will get some help in January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Who know what he is being asked to do by the coaches?

Not going to get on his case as we just haven't supplied him with anywhere near enough chances and he is operating alone up top. Truth is he is one of three forwards, none of which are scoring so the problem is not him per-se its our forward line.

I hope Nakamba will allow J&J to get forward more and feed the forwards, but I equally think AEG and Jota are not contributing enough at present.

He did miss two very good chances which we are going to have to take if we are to succeed in this division, I think the second one just before half time was the very bad one and one where a confidence striker would tuck away without thinking. Hopefully he will get some help in January.

Don't think any of us know the precise wording - But I would think most of us could have a pretty good guess - football is a simple game after all. He had a couple of chances the other night - I m sure he wasn't under instruction to miss them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

So you would rather have Agbonlahor, Ayew, Kozak and Gestede over Wesley, Kodjia and Davis?

Ok then

It's been 5 games... 5!

We do need a prime Gabby to be fair. We are lacking in raw speed it is criminal, we are way to easy to play against. All in front, nothing in behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can hear them shouting at him to close players down more, so doesn't appear to be taking everything on board.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think a lot of the criticism of Wesley's performances are justified, but that's not to say he's a bad player altogether. The lad is only 22, settling into a new country and playing in a league which is vastly different to the Belgian league. Yes some of his performances have left a lot to be desired, but writing him off after a few poor games is a little unfair on him. Hopefully the second half of the season he will have settled and will start to show some of the potential that Smith saw in him in the summer. As someone who hadn't seen Haller before yesterday, I would say there was no way he was worth £40m based on that performance alone. Obviously it would be ridiculous to assume that based on one bad game, so I don't see why Wesley should be the same after a couple of bad games. 

It's also worth noting West Ham have two good centre backs who had done their homework and managed to win the aerial battles against Wesley. We should have changed our style of play knowing this, but there was still an insistence to go long to him when he was clearly second best.

He's probably lacking in confidence at the moment - we should be getting behind him if anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

I do think a lot of the criticism of Wesley's performances are justified, but that's not to say he's a bad player altogether. The lad is only 22, settling into a new country and playing in a league which is vastly different to the Belgian league. Yes some of his performances have left a lot to be desired, but writing him off after a few poor games is a little unfair on him. Hopefully the second half of the season he will have settled and will start to show some of the potential that Smith saw in him in the summer. As someone who hadn't seen Haller before yesterday, I would say there was no way he was worth £40m based on that performance alone. Obviously it would be ridiculous to assume that based on one bad game, so I don't see why Wesley should be the same after a couple of bad games. 

It's also worth noting West Ham have two good centre backs who had done their homework and managed to win the aerial battles against Wesley. We should have changed our style of play knowing this, but there was still an insistence to go long to him when he was clearly second best.

He's probably lacking in confidence at the moment - we should be getting behind him if anything.

thing is he wasn't prolific in the belguim league - where presumably he was settled ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hippo said:

thing is he wasn't prolific in the belguim league - where presumably he was settled ?

Agreed. But as I said, he's 22. He's not much older than Green who most people would agree is not ready for the PL. 

I won't defend his past record, because you make a good point - it's not particularly impressive. But he still has a lot of potential for improvement if given the chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No but it has something to do with the people who are writing him off. In other words it shows that people have a tendency to write players off too soon, haven't looked but wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar story with Kodjia after his first five or so games with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He started like well closing down and working hard he missed 2 chances then shyed  away from even getting into goalscoring positions stoped closing down yes he was against 2 really good cb’s but I did not like the fact that he stopped busting his gut to get to the ball , another criticism he should not be looking for the foul ever he needs to wrestle pass defenders regardless  of arms round his neck and shirt, don't care if he misses chances as long as he keeps getting into positions and constantly being a horrible nasty thorn in defenders backside needs to implent a bit of diego costa into his game,  he has it in his locker loved his performance against everton , think his probelms are more mentaly really.    

Edited by gwi1890

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â