Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

21 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Easy way to make it not a grey area: ban scissor tackles.

They're pretty much the most dangerous tackle you can perform, next to a two-footed lunge off the ground. The injury rate from scissor tackles is ridiculous because they take both players legs at the same time, and twist them in the process.

It's actually a miracle if a player walks away from one.

What bothers me is there doesn’t seem to be any real legitimate case for ever doing a scissor tackle. The only reason for that second movement is to take the player out. And yes, you’re right - anything that takes out the standing leg is always going to do more damage

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

This is what it says on the FA.com about serious foul play:-

FA Rules

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

The problem we have in this country is the law is there to ban that tackle on Wesley, but unfortunately the referees in this country are not up to standard or are very inconsistant. That tackle could easily fall into the category above in my opinion.

They give guidance to refs on top of that, though, don’t they - I think they could be a bit more explicit about why that type of tackle is dangerous and unnecessary. I remember a lot of non-Villa fans felt the Mee tackle on Wesley was legit, but that raise the question why something that dangerous is up for debate. Especially when same player has injured several opponents with the same technique.

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

They give guidance to refs on top of that, though, don’t they - I think they could be a bit more explicit about why that type of tackle is dangerous and unnecessary. I remember a lot of non-Villa fans felt the Mee tackle on Wesley was legit, but that raise the question why something that dangerous is up for debate. Especially when same player has injured several opponents with the same technique.

Exactly this.

There is so much evidence to suggest that, unfortunately, a lot of the PGMOL referees are really not very intelligent or critical human beings. The fact they won't answer to criticism or go before an interviewer says a lot, but their record in-game says even more.

The only way to legislate clearly for this type of tackle which recklessly endangers a player every time (and not just some of the time, like some other types of sending-off offenses) is to make it explicitly clear that you cannot use your legs as some sort of vice grip and wrap them around the opponent, even if you win the ball first. It's not clumsy, it's malicious, and players like Ben Mee absolutely know that. Until the rules catch up with that and refs are crystal clear on it, twunts like him will keep injuring players.

51 minutes ago, NeilS said:

This is what it says on the FA.com about serious foul play:-

FA Rules

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

The problem we have in this country is the law is there to ban that tackle on Wesley, but unfortunately the referees in this country are not up to standard or are very inconsistant. That tackle could easily fall into the category above in my opinion.

Based on that definition Ramsey could have been sent off on Sunday.

On 06/10/2021 at 11:59, The Fun Factory said:

Personally if we are going to stick with  2 up front having Wes and Watkins kinda makes more sense than Ings. That's probably a bit controversial.

And just plain wrong.

What on Earth does Wes do better than Ings in a front two?

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Anyone know how he's getting on? Has he played any minutes?

played 56 mins in the league and 18 mins in the Champ League.

League - 56 mins in 1 game, on the bench 1 game (not used), not in squad 3 games.

CL - 18 mins 1 game, on the bench (not used) 1 game.

so basically played 74 minutes for Brugge so far (56 mins over 2 games, out of 7 total games over League and CL).

no goals or assists registered.

Edited by MaVilla

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Anyone know how he's getting on? Has he played any minutes?

https://www.transfermarkt.com/wesley/leistungsdaten/spieler/381362

Doesn't make great reading. Got a chance against Charleroi, got taken off after 56 minutes, an unused sub in the next game and then didn't makle the squad in the next.

Early days, but he certainly hasn't hit the ground running.

• Thanks 1

Well Brugge play in CL and obviously expected to win Belgian league so it's not some mid table team with limited players we've loaned him to as they obviously have good players in final third.

Does show a little how misguided people can be when during early part of the summer there was little interest in signing another striker as "we had Wesley coming back" It was obvious from his cameos end of last season he was miles off impacting in premier league matches so if he's struggling in Belgium that shows club judgement was correct and why we had to make a Ings type signing given Davis has also been out for two months already.

Hopefully he'll start scoring at some point this season and fully get going and perhaps we can get 5-10m from some european team but looking pretty obvious we're going to have to take a big hit on his transfer fee, we did overpaid for him at the time of course.

Isn't in the squad tonight either. Not in the squad for the last 2 Belgian league games.

I can't find anything about an iniury. I didn't look very hard.

Maybe he still just isn't ready. Sad

1 hour ago, YLN said:

Isn't in the squad tonight either. Not in the squad for the last 2 Belgian league games.

I can't find anything about an iniury. I didn't look very hard.

Maybe he still just isn't ready. Sad

We'll be lucky to get 10 mill out of him 

He may never properly recover. I never rated him tbh but it’s very sad and unfair Mee can put a challenge in like that, potentially take a man’s livelihood from him and go unpunished. 

Feel very sorry for the bloke. Ultimately, football feeds his kids. 

A gamble that we had little choice but to take. We were late arriving in the prem via the play offs - lots of players were only on loan.

£22m we probably won't get back. The flip side we stayed in the prem - the TV money from that has paid for Wes over and over.

Â