Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I think the sample size of games for Villa is just too small to stand up to any sort of statistical analysis. 21 games isn’t really enough to draw any conclusions about his former quality in my opinion, but after this injury it’s complete guesswork to say how good he will be. I remember Van Nistelrooy did his ACL before Man Utd and it didn’t seem to affect him. But for every one of those successes there probably one where it didn’t work out. Welsey has age on his side though, getting injured while still young must help the recovery?

Yet papa sarr has played 22 games full stop, and people on here want to sign him for 25 million ?

With Wesley and Davis we just do not have the firepower in the Centre Forward position to keep on scoring goals or even do what Watkins does if some reason Watkins is out. It's not tough to see the situation that's eventually going to pop up. Pitarch got this guy in and at way more a price than what he was worth but sometimes players don't work out whatever the price you pay.

Wesley looked good to us at the time he came in before he got Injured because we were in a survival showdown and we were fighting hard. Later we got Watkins in and he showed us exactly what a Center Forward should be doing.

I just don't think Wesley will cut it as a prem level player but I am willing to try and give him the option to comeback from all this by putting him out on Loan at a championship club for a season or two. As I said yesterday the championship will either make or break him but we have to find out and give him the chance to come back.

As for Davis, well we should sell him straight away, he's no good for us any longer and struggle do to what a Center Forward needs to do which is score.

• Like 1

I'm somewhere in between. I guess in one sense I am writing him off because I've seen nothing to convince me he's going to be the level we require with the ambitions we now have. And that was when he was fully fit last year, let alone 18 months later following a serious injury. 

But at the same time, there's no pressure on him, he won't (hopefully) have to play on a regular basis and he will have the opportunity to prove himself. I think it's a gamble from the club, but I can see why, we've invested too much money and time to just throw the guy away and on a personal level, he doesn't deserve that. 

I just don’t see Wesley getting the game time to find a level of consistency and quality that if we’re being honest he wasn’t showing before his terrible injury.

I think our best option would be to move him on in exchange for another backup striker from around Europe, probably with a bit of money on top from ourselves.

50 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Yet papa sarr has played 22 games full stop, and people on here want to sign him for 25 million ?

I don’t know anything about Sarr… I would say some caution there is probably due as well. That’s a small sample size.

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I don’t know anything about Sarr… I would say some caution there is probably due as well. That’s a small sample size.

I don't know much about him either. But maybe he has been very good in most of those games ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I don't know much about him either. But maybe he has been very good in most of those games ?

Yeah could be! I haven’t ever seen him play (knowingly anyway)… I certainly don’t envy scouts or coaches that have to make the sort of calls on players after seeing them for a few games. I thought Carles Gil was incredible after 2-3 games and I didn’t think De Bruyne was any thing special in his first games at Man City… glad it isn’t my job!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Pay £25m for a very promising 18 year old or £45m+ once he’s had another season at Metz. Having missed out on Philips to fill that spot I’d hate us to do it again. 

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Pay £25m for a very promising 18 year old or £45m+ once he’s had another season at Metz. Having missed out on Philips to fill that spot I’d hate us to do it again. 

As I say, I know next to nothing about Sarr really, other than he’s really highly rated, etc. 
I think this is stretching my original point though, which was that 21 games is a small sample size on which to judge Wesley. I’m sure others disagree but.. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

As I say, I know next to nothing about Sarr really, other than he’s really highly rated, etc. 
I think this is stretching my original point though, which was that 21 games is a small sample size on which to judge Wesley. I’m sure others disagree but.. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

What do you want then?

Should we give him 40 more games to make our minds up about him?

Get real buddy. He is nowhere near the quality of Watkins and never will be. Just doesn't have the attributes required to make it at this level.

He might be an ok player if you are a team fighting relegation but that's not where we're at.

By that logic would you take Samatta back? Had even less games to make a "valid" assessment of him

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

What do you want then?

Should we give him 40 more games to make our minds up about him?

Get real buddy. He is nowhere near the quality of Watkins and never will be. Just doesn't have the attributes required to make it at this level.

He might be an ok player if you are a team fighting relegation but that's not where we're at.

By that logic would you take Samatta back? Had even less games to make a "valid" assessment of him

“Buddy” 😂 

I'm torn on Wesley. For a long time I've felt like he deserved a fair chance, because whether you rated him or not, he was a young player playing in a struggling team and he suffered an appauling injury. The fact he's even back training for a Premier League team is actually amazing based on how bad the injury was. I also understood that the club wouldn't want to throw away the amount of investment they put in to him, both financially and time wise, if there was any chance he could repay some of that.

However, this pre season was and is crucial for the guy, and within 7 minutes of a friendly he loses his head and gets a well deserved red. Even if he doesn't have to serve a suspension and is available for Wednesday, who's to say he won't do it again? There's already talk he was unhappy with an earlier challenge and that's why he lost it, but he wants to play in the Premier League, and as Jack can attest to, you get kicked, shoved and roughed up in this league on a regular basis. If he loses his head over any challenge or touch remotely near his knee then he just becomes an absolute liability.

I think we're best off cutting our losses, get him out on loan to regain fitness and sell him for whatever we can get. We were ruthless bringing in Martinez when Heaton was injured, we need to be just as ruthless now as we need a competant and reliable backup/competition for Watkins, and with his injuries, form, and discipline, Wesley doesn't look like that guy.

26 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Yeah I just wanted to get a plug in for signing Sarr!

Agree on Wes. At a gut level I’m not hopeful he’s going to do it but understand he needs to be given a chance (though probably a shorter one after Stoke). 

I’d be much more relaxed about Wes in reserve if we sign Alvarez as well though. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

If we don't sign new backup striker this summer, who would you rather keep as a backup : Wesley, Davis or both?

Without a body incoming Davis won’t be sent on loan anyway, imo. 

Â