Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think it's a combination of frustration that he's been so poor, fear as he's our main striker behind Watkins and annoyance that we all know he needs minutes on the pitch and he goes and does something like that today. 

More and more he's looking like a failed signing and stuff like today doesn't help change that. 

Fair points…

Looking back, was he really the wisest signing to make back then? To be our main CF on our return to the PL?

Seems like a lot of pressure for, at the time, a young lad coming in from abroad and a much inferior league…

He doesn’t have the pressure now and has time on his side but that injury was so bad… feel for the guy, he’s probably just overly keen and desperate to get involved and show what he can do…

Messed up today but there should be more opportunities for him, hopefully he can become a valuable member of this squad.

He can score goals and finish chances, unlike Keinan…

I just think he needs support and encouragement while being made aware of his responsibilities and the need to conduct himself well, he’s going to have be more tolerant and resilient… he will learn…

But the lad’s been through a tough time, those marks on his knee aren’t the only scars he has…

• Like 1

i dont see the red as a huge issue.

was he silly - yes, will he learn - i hope so, will the management have a word - almost certainly.....lets just leave it at that, no need to over dramatise it, its not like he's been a red card machine since he has been here.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, hong0311 said:

If Ben Mee didn't injure Wesley, will we still be in the Premier League? 😆

WTF????!!! Ludicrous comment…

Of course we would, he was looking the part against Burnley and had already gotten goals for us. A fit and firing Wes for the duration of that season would have been a big help and, I believe,  would’ve helped us avoid such a tense and tight relegation fight.

We had Samatta, Davis and even El Ghazi playing at CF after he got injured… don’t you remember? 

Anyway, that’s all in the past but why do we have to go overboard with the criticism of Wes? Makes no sense… have some sympathy for the guy and understanding of the situation…

Are actually trying to give Mee some kind of credit? Are you insane?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He won’t get sold without some form, I doubt he is a loan candidate for the same reason. There’s a player in there and it’s worth persevering. Unfortunately with our ambition and trajectory we don’t have the time to indulge his rehabilitation and he is going to have dig deep to prove himself. Young, under pressure, isolated through injury in a foreign country is not a great place to be, injuries like that are hard enough for home grown players already established at clubs. 

its defo a stiff measure of character now. Nothing would be more pleasing though than him battling back and proving the doubters wrong.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

He’ll regret and learn from this…

Let's hope he learns how to play.

He's quite a way off being a viable understudy to Watkins . Sure he will get a place in the 25 man squad. But if we ever have to rely on him for a run of games....we will struggle .

Bottom line - he isn't good enough 

I feel for Wes, it’s been a very difficult couple of years for the lad for all the reasons that we’ve gone over. Nothing seems to go right for him and this is just the last in a long list of problems he’s had. The club won’t throw him under the bus, we’re not that sort of club, but there is an element of damage limitation with him now. We’re £22m in the hole at the moment. In an ideal scenario he gets his mojo back, finds some form and contributes to the squad. Even if that happens I don’t think he’s the kind of striker that fits in to the way we want to play and so ultimately at some point I think he’ll be moved on. Worst case scenario his physical and mental ability can’t allow him to be of any worth to the squad and he possibly retires. 

As I say, I think the club will do everything that can to help him both as a human being and an expensive asset. At the same time they can’t and won’t allow the situation to derail the project. I’d be surprised at this point if we go into next season with Ollie as our only viable striker. Wesley can’t sadly be relied upon at the moment and Keinan just won’t score the goals required at this level, no matter how much people want him to. We need a proper, reliable back up plan that allows us as a team to replace the 15 goals, hopefully more, that we would expect Ollie to contribute this season. Not just his goals but to some extent at least contribute in other aspects of his play that we have found so valuable. 

We have to look at this in cold blood and find a solution that is best for Aston Villa. We can’t consider, too much, the individuals involved. We want all our players to do well and be happy, but ultimately we’re a PL football team with ambitions to go all the way to the top. We can’t wait for Wes to get, or not get, his act together, anymore than we can worry about Ollie being upset about competition or being asked to change his roll or whether another player can accept not playing every game if he is brought in. This is and always should be about Aston Villa Football Club and what’s best for the club. That will hopefully correspond with the players, coaches, groundsmen, maintenance staff, tea lady etc. at the club. I think at the moment that is one of the great strengths we have and if individuals leave or arrive then the club always comes first. The name on the gate ain’t changing anytime soon. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Very unprofessional behaviour, hopefully DS or someone on the staff tore him a new one for it!

Move on no need for fans to gst all anti Wes over it, everyone makes mistakes.

I’m not sure that DS or anyone else tearing him to pieces helps the situation. For some people that kind of thing helps but I doubt it would help Wes or be the default setting for Deano either. 

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not sure that DS or anyone else tearing him to pieces helps the situation. For some people that kind of thing helps but I doubt it would help Wes or be the default setting for Deano either. 

It seemed to have worked for his coach at Brugge to be fair. But yeah, I don't think he'll need telling twice that he messed up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

Let's hope he learns how to play.

He's quite a way off being a viable understudy to Watkins . Sure he will get a place in the 25 man squad. But if we ever have to rely on him for a run of games....we will struggle .

Bottom line - he isn't good enough 

It surprised me that he played the friendlies alongside Davis and not on his own. His positioning vs Walsall was not where I expected our striker to play (as Ollie does) - he sits deep lying and not rushing to get forward on breaks, he looked to be just jogging around as a link. Surely this is how he has been asked to play, he played here when he arrived, if he was not following instruction he wouldn’t be on the field long? I think this is why he is getting stick, it looks unorthodox to expectation, and why Ollie is so successful by contrast. If he is just clueless which given his record clearly isn’t the case as he’s scored champions league goals then the question is of recruitment and coaching.

50 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Well I hope he didn't get a pat on the back and told not to worry about it.

Â