Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Well said:

A good in depth read into our South American brotherhood. 

Wesley didn’t find his professional breakthrough by becoming the archetypal street player with the skills to stand out even amongst the other hundreds of youngsters who’d spend their days using football as their salvation.

After Wesley spent five years moving around Brazil trying to earn enough money to give up a job in a factory sorting screws, trials at Uberabinha, Sport Juiz de Fora, Atlético Mineiro and Tupi proved unsuccessful. His search for a European breakthrough would eventually arrive, but it was hardly the glamour move that many of his peers would go on to earn.

Located 80 miles north of its capital Bratislava, Wesley would embark on a move to Slovakia as his hunger to stand out from the crowd increased. 

http://www.avillafan.com/33636/brazilian-brotherhood-at-aston-villa/

If anything particularly untoward had bene said, it would be all over the media by now. 

I can't help but be disappointed. He knows that he needs the game time to get himself fit and ready if we are to rely on him, but he pissed the opportunity up the wall with his recklessness. Yeah, we know bits and pieces about his upbringing, but if he still harbours issues with controlling his anger in those situations then as a professional sportsman, he needs to work on getting a grip of them. It was a friendly for **** sake. 

Do better Wesley. 

• Like 2

I’m not really referring to his past or upbringing, I’m pointing more toward his injury and long layoff, that can’t have been easy… many a player that has experienced a severe or serious injury has had a hard time getting back and “into the swing of things”, there is always going to be some form of fear factor there. After such a bad experience, wouldn’t you be at least a small bit fearful of the same sort of thing happening again?

And if someone went in heavy or placed a heavy tackle or knock on you, wouldn’t it piss you off?

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’m not really referring to his past or upbringing, I’m pointing more toward his injury and long layoff, that can’t have been easy… many a player that has experienced a severe or serious injury has had a hard time getting back and “into the swing of things”, there is always going to be some form of fear factor there. After such a bad experience, wouldn’t you be at least a small bit fearful of the same sort of thing happening again?

And if someone went in heavy or placed a heavy tackle or knock on you, wouldn’t it piss you off?

Sure. What I said still stands though, no? He does need to get a grip on the situation? I am fearful it might happen in a game that means something, too. 

Mollycoddling him won't help. 

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Luckily, Watkins never ever ever ever ever gets injured so we don't need more than one striker!

Yawn … Luckily villa employ departments of personnel to create informed decisions based on their highly qualified expertise and experiences nowadays so all is good. Safe hands and all…

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sure. What I said still stands though, no? He does need to get a grip on the situation? I am fearful it might happen in a game that means something, too. 

Mollycoddling him won't help. 

He made a mistake, no doubt. 

He needs to be made aware that his actions were wrong and unacceptable but also continue to be supported… sometimes it takes people to actually make a mistake before they learn the lesson… as long as there is regret and a willingness to do/be better, then he shouldn’t be treated too harshly…

All I’m saying is there’s no reason to write him off on that basis or have any hatred toward him (as many seem to have displayed online, not just here), people are actually saying “get rid” just because of this… it’s very silly…

Just now, Jas10 said:

He made a mistake, no doubt. 

He needs to be made aware that his actions were wrong and unacceptable but also continue to be supported… sometimes it takes people to actually make a mistake before they learn the lesson… as long as there is regret and a willingness to do/be better, then he shouldn’t be treated too harshly…

All I’m saying is there’s no reason to write him off on that basis or have any hatred toward him (as many seem to have displayed online, not just here), people are actually saying “get rid” just because of this… it’s very silly…

For the record I am not doing that. I think he has a lot of potential, but it will take a lot of work for him to reach it and he can't do that if he isn't on the pitch. 

A lot of people have already made their mind up about him and today will, rightly, add fuel to that fire. But we've another game on Wednesday and it will be another opportunity for him to continue the process, whether we like it or not. 

36 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Too much speculating here…

The lad has had a torrid time, suffered a horrendous injury from a brutal, wreckless foul… fought his way back after a long, long time out… (probably did well to return as soon as he did considering the severity of the injury)…

His reaction was disappointing but no one knows exactly what has gone on, what was said or if a dirty foul was committed… 

Can understand him being wary of getting injured again and annoyed at a heavy or dirty tackle or even a nasty comment… not condoning his actions or getting sent off but I don’t think we can relate to his frame of mind or experiences…

Thankfully, this happened in a relatively meaningless friendly and not in an important/crucial game, hasn’t really cost us… he should learn and regret this…

Why people are making up shit without any basis or evidence such as “mental problem”, “racism” etc. I have no idea…

Maybe cut the kid some slack rather than going to the extremes, writing him off and wanting to get rid…

Again, a disappointing moment from him but why should we let that define him? No one else ever made any mistakes???

It would be nice if we could give our own players a bit of backing sometimes… not be overly harsh…

A bad day for him but he will learn and hopefully come back stronger…

when i said mental health problems i wasn't having a go at him if ihe has that thanks to lenght of time out he needs  help

32 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

when i said mental health problems i wasn't having a go at him if ihe has that thanks to lenght of time out he needs  help

Ok, no worries 👍

Yeah, such a bad injury and long lay off will have affected him mentally to some degree. As I noted earlier, there must be some amount of fear/anxiety about getting hurt again… so he will be pissed off if someone commits a dirty foul on him… needs to learn to control that anger though…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

I don't think it matters if people write him off, he's just helped write himself off.  He needs minutes on the pitch, regain match fitness, and work his way back into first team plans.  

The management must be struggling to know what to do with him now.  Off the pace, out of practice, and a loose cannon.  Davies is now clearly our best next option,  which leaves Wesley very short of opportunities going forward which will stunt his ability to get up to his best - whatever that is

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

For the record I am not doing that. I think he has a lot of potential, but it will take a lot of work for him to reach it and he can't do that if he isn't on the pitch. 

A lot of people have already made their mind up about him and today will, rightly, add fuel to that fire. But we've another game on Wednesday and it will be another opportunity for him to continue the process, whether we like it or not. 

Sure and I wasn’t referring to you. 

Honestly, I’m quite desperate for him to stake a claim and it would be wonderful if he could be a key member of the squad. It’s not going to be easy, but he deserves the opportunity. Even after his actions today… imo at least…

• Like 1

He has earnt his criticism.  Villa fans were singing his name at Walsall to give him a boost, he has had nothing but love and support since he arrived.

This is an example of him not doing his job and not deserving that support. He needs to stop acting like a child and get to work. 

We dont have the luxury of passengers , everybody has to put in the work. He is choosing not to. Nothing was on the line today except Stoke and Villa preseason training which he has harmed. if he cant contain his childish outbursts in a friendly then he is even more of a liability in a real game. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We really overpaid for Wes at the end of the day.

Our modus operandi under MON. "We won't be held to ransom", he'd say as the window began to shut.

🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Again, not condoning his actions… that was disappointing.

But there has been a hell of a lot of over-reacting, so much from fans on Twitter too…

I wonder what the reaction would have been if any of our other players had done the same thing… 

I feel people are overly frustrated with him without understanding the circumstances.

Simplistic views like we spent 22m on him but he’s shit and stupid to get sent off, get rid… Ignorance… 

I think it's a combination of frustration that he's been so poor, fear as he's our main striker behind Watkins and annoyance that we all know he needs minutes on the pitch and he goes and does something like that today. 

More and more he's looking like a failed signing and stuff like today doesn't help change that. 

Edited by DCJonah

Â