Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

16 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I think the guys a dud but i know you've to tread carefully here with calling it as you see it ( my opinion ) as your seen to be too harsh. His demeanour is sulky, negative. Thought it the first day the spurs centre halfs absolutely man handled him. He's going to be compared to Ollie. He's a striker. We aren't exclusive in that regard. But ability, workrate, attitude he falls well short stacked up beside Watkins.

I've said I'll give him a clean slate but it's really difficult to see how this doesn't end as a failure of a signing. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

He was a major weakness last year and at the moment looks like he shouldn't be anywhere near a premier league team. 

He needs minutes on the pitch and goes and ruins the opportunity for that with losing his head. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

Good to see some fight from Wes albeit not in the way I expected lol. 

Not gonna have a meltdown over it. Playing Stoke would wind me up too! 

Hope he gets his head together and proves he can be involved this season. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'll never get why fans do that. 

Dublin got a standing ovation. I couldn't get my head round it. Losing and that just cemented it but treated like a hero for losing his head. 

Off topic but I still wonder if savage said something to Dublin and if so, what it was ? 

Savage seems the snidey enough type...........or perhaps it was the culmination of a few incidents/verbals in that game ?

To be fair to him when you’ve been injured that badly you will lose it with a dirty challenge. Not condoning his actions though but I honestly don’t care about what he did. 

Way more concerned about how immobile he looked up to that point. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We really overpaid for Wes at the end of the day. A lot of the way I think about Villa revolves around how best to keep Jack and players like Wes arent good enough to get us where we need to be unfortunately. Stupid of him to lose his head today. A lot of hard work done by him and the physio’s shouldnt go to waste by him getting petulant and losing out on vital minutes thatd be better used trying to impress the coaching team that he can be useful in matchday environments. We need someone able to step up and provide sufficient cover for an undroppable Ollie Watkins this season. Keinan and Louie Barry seem better options atm and that says it all really. 

In the context of the injury and sadly what I think he'll now be it's hard to see him ever being that £20m+ player 

No injury though and it's impossible to tell, I thought he could have acclimatised and been OK, he was called up by Brazil don't forget, he's not the bum he's being made out to be, don't think he'd ever be what Ollie is for us but definitley a good enough back up

Injury has done him, i thought you could see it in when he walks let alone runs 

As for the red mist... Powell definitley stands on his foot too, its not an excuse but Powell was in no way innocent in all this 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I think the guys a dud but i know you've to tread carefully here with calling it as you see it ( my opinion ) as your seen to be too harsh. His demeanour is sulky, negative. Thought it the first day the spurs centre halfs absolutely man handled him. He's going to be compared to Ollie. He's a striker. We aren't exclusive in that regard. But ability, workrate, attitude he falls well short stacked up beside Watkins.

I doubt we’d buy him now with our current recruitment set up. A harsh lesson learned probably. Then again who knows he might improve and go on to be an asset? We haven’t really got too much time to waste on him though. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

A headbutt and a strangulation attempt. Probably the most blatant red you will see.

Weird think was the pause almost as thought about it.

You forgot about the attempted punch, Hippo. That's 3 reds in any game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I doubt we’d buy him now with our current recruitment set up. A harsh lesson learned probably. Then again who knows he might improve and go on to be an asset? We haven’t really got too much time to waste on him though. 

This is make or break year for him. We might not buy another striker this summer but if he doesn't do something this year I doubt we'd do the same next summer. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Fair enough. Agree he can have no complaints. Just a shame it changed the training preparations for Stoke and us.

I guess we found something out today. I suppose the positive is its even more  needed focus on the "what happens if Ollie is unavailable?" question.

We cant trust Wesley, we have put our faith in him for two years and this is how he repays it.

We cannot depend on Wes or Davis. I imagine that is the reason for the links to players who can play right across the front. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think it seems pretty obvious we are invested in Wesley; the money spent and his rehabilitation prove this.

Watkins, Davis, Wesley, Barry and perhaps Alvarez will be our forward options.

We spent too much to just throw him away. We have to give him the opportunity this year. But if we do bring in another forward, his minutes will be very limited.

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think it seems pretty obvious we are invested in Wesley; the money spent and his rehabilitation prove this.

Watkins, Davis, Wesley, Barry and perhaps Alvarez will be our forward options.

We really had no choice in it, not sure how player insurance works to cover this so maybe it's partially covered.

If we can't buy a significantly better backup to Ollie, Wes has a lot to do or the kids deserve their shot.

• Like 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

We really had no choice in it, not sure how player insurance works to cover this so maybe it's partially covered.

If we can't buy a significantly better backup to Ollie, Wes has a lot to do or the kids deserve their shot.

Yup, you can see Barry is training with the first-team so he must be getting there.

If he has built up some conditioning and muscle then maybe he can push for a place on the bench; he needs to be involved in the pre-season games though.

In a way Brad Young seems better suited for a role perhaps at least in terms of physique.

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yup, you can see Barry is training with the first-team so he must be getting there.

If he has built up some conditioning and muscle then maybe he can push for a place on the bench; he needs to be involved in the pre-season games though.

In a way Brad Young seems better suited for a role perhaps at least in terms of physique.

I think Brad gets overtaken by Barry anyway maybe, hope we see them next game. As far as I know Wes is suspended now?

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Was he injured? I had hoped he would have been coming on possibly instead of Wesley, definitely instead of Davis.

I think he is a good one, and a Villa boy too, surely deserves a chance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I think Brad gets overtaken by Barry anyway maybe, hope we see them next game. As far as I know Wes is suspended now?

I think for violent conduct the suspension carries over to the league, he'll be suspended for the watford game, maybe the first 3 games 

Not sure about the friendlies though, smith might sit him out regardless like a naughty child, should do tbh

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Barry still strikes me as a little light, but maybe he's been working on his physique. Young seems more robust and impressed me in the Youth Cup.

Suspensions in pre-season, really?

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

Was he injured? I had hoped he would have been coming on possibly instead of Wesley, definitely instead of Davis.

I think he is a good one, and a Villa boy too, surely deserves a chance.

Think he was on the bench for Walsall, not sure about Stoke.

Yeah I like him, looks good.

Â