Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think he’s more likely to come on for Barkley than Watkins in our current system.

Nah more likely Trez/Traore spot and move more centrally, and then Jack and Wes floating around feeding Watkins.  Wes more a number 10 role and Jack with his floating role and Watkins in the number 9 role.  We do see Watkins drop to his old left wing position occasionally to pick up the ball (whether that is where he’s just used to playing or likes to come in from, who cares) but during the game if he goes to collect the ball for a play, from there Wes can move into the central position.  So the system doesn’t have to be rigid, Watkins is up top mainly but if he does drop to pick up the ball, Wes can make sure we have somebody in the box if the ball them moves in that direction.  Or Wes can drop generally and feed Watkins.  

The flexibility in system play of Watkins, Wes, Jack and Ross could be really good in certain games.

I just don't see how anyone can be so certain on him either way. The guy was brand new to the league, had some great performances (Everton/Norwich/Burnley), some utter stinkers, and mostly ones somewhere in between. It's a small sample size without enough consistency within to be certain of anything really. I had hope for him because those few top performances showed he had the potential to put it all together, but given the injury coupled with us (hopefully) steadily improving I'd just fear he'll never get the opportunity to really put any kind of sustained run together. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I just don't see how anyone can be so certain on him either way. The guy was brand new to the league, had some great performances (Everton/Norwich/Burnley), some utter stinkers, and mostly ones somewhere in between. It's a small sample size without enough consistency within to be certain of anything really. I had hope for him because those few top performances showed he had the potential to put it all together, but given the injury coupled with us (hopefully) steadily improving I'd just fear he'll never get the opportunity to really put any kind of sustained run together. 

Because he's never been prolific.

11 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Exactly how I see it, he has so many potential areas where he can get better but whether he does is anybody's guess.  I hope he has done plenty of studying while he has been injured of the tactical side of the game.  I wonder whether with the rehabilitation it is a good opportunity for the fitness staff to really work on his strength and conditioning at the same time as repairing his knee.  Trez has come on leaps and bounds with his fitness, Jack is a specimen now, there is a marked improvement in McGinn since he looked overweight after lockdown, hopefully they can help Wes out as well.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hippo said:

Hope you're right. The problem for Wes is he has never scored goals in any great number, anywhere or at anytime in his career - so the chances of him doing it in the toughest league in the world , off the back of major injury are pretty remote IMO.

Disagree positioning is one of the things you can work on during the rehabilitation period and Wesley is an instinctive finisher. In the box he hits shots low and hard which results in goals more often than not. Outside the box he probably needs to work on going for a bit of elevation but I don't think it is unreasonable to expect him to get on the end of more crosses now that he has had time to knoe the oteer players games and work on positioning. 

When he signed he was the main man record signing, but also new to the league,  country and somewhat untested. I’m now very intrigued to see how he comes back and competes with Watkins for the main role, he is now settled into the squad with less pressure on him. The added competition will hopefully help elevate his game to the next level as he has the potential to be a good player... IF he can find consistency when fully fit and up to speed.

He will also push Watkins on hopefully and the two could compliment each other’s game well. 

No way Wesley isnt being put on the bench ahead of Davis, we will see Wesley for sure to rotate and freshen up Watkins, its then upto Wes to make the most of his time he gets and get some goals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Disagree positioning is one of the things you can work on during the rehabilitation period and Wesley is an instinctive finisher. In the box he hits shots low and hard which results in goals more often than not. Outside the box he probably needs to work on going for a bit of elevation but I don't think it is unreasonable to expect him to get on the end of more crosses now that he has had time to knoe the oteer players games and work on positioning. 

I would like to add that in a crap team last season all way upto lockdown Wesley managed what six or seven goals before his injury. We literally struggled to service our striker for most of the season and struggle we did, we still have trouble sometimes now. Something we need to learn better is to feed a lone striker in the box, many a time we hit crosses at there first defender, we need awkward balls sent in and someone always attacking back post, while lone striker is in the box..

Edited by Dave-R

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I saw absolutely nothing from Wesley to suggest he would be adequate as a Premier League 10. It's up front or not at all.

Not a 10 but a second striker if that's even a thing anymore. He's good with the ball at his feet, and can pick a pass. Could probably flick on for Watkins to run into as well. Might be a good option if Barkley is out. It's not like he did any defending anyway.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I saw absolutely nothing from Wesley to suggest he would be adequate as a Premier League 10. It's up front or not at all.

I am not disagreeing with you, but Wes’ record in Belgium proves he is excellent at setting up others. Almost as many assists as goals in that league.

We never saw that from him. So maybe he lost it. But to me it hints that the Wesley we saw last year was a bad representation of the man. He might have a lot more in his locker that we haven’t seen.

Or maybe he’s crocked after that injury. Either way I’m looking forward to watching him again, and wouldn’t rule much out with the man.

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Not a 10 but a second striker if that's even a thing anymore. He's good with the ball at his feet, and can pick a pass. Could probably flick on for Watkins to run into as well. Might be a good option if Barkley is out. It's not like he did any defending anyway.

I could imagine two up top with Wesley and Watkins. I don't think that's out of the question. Similarly I could imagine Wesley up top and Watkins out wide. I just don't think Wesley could play as a 10. While Barkley didn't do masses of defending, he did come back to collect the ball at the edge of his own area and carried it, or made a variety of lung-busting runs, neither of which seems particularly Wesley-ish to me.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I could imagine two up top with Wesley and Watkins. I don't think that's out of the question. Similarly I could imagine Wesley up top and Watkins out wide. I just don't think Wesley could play as a 10. While Barkley didn't do masses of defending, he did come back to collect the ball at the edge of his own area and carried it, or made a variety of lung-busting runs, neither of which seems particularly Wesley-ish to me.

Traore can't really play as a 10 either and he got a game there. Apart from his set piece i thought he looked woeful.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Wesley there if/when Barkley is injured/suspended

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Traore can't really play as a 10 either and he got a game there. Apart from his set piece i thought he looked woeful.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Wesley there if/when Barkley is injured/suspended

I know you've been so wrong on your opinions and outcomes in the past many times but even before it happens, what you say you know is wrong.  It's as if you watch another Aston Villa to everybody else, it's so weird how often you are wrong!  I mean you are actually pushing Trump for how many times you are generally wrong per comment.  At least we'll have you to keep us entertained when Trump leaves the WH after January 20th.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Where is your evidence for Wesley being an instinctive finisher ? - I think his best season, anywhere is 11 goals ? 

41 minutes ago, hippo said:

Where is your evidence for Wesley being an instinctive finisher ? - I think his best season, anywhere is 11 goals ? 

Because all his goals are either first time or on the turn. His weakness is his positioning so he doesn't reliably get in position to score often enough but when he is in those positions he is generally very good. 

Â