Jump to content
Site Downtime ×
Tomaszk

Wesley Moraes

Recommended Posts

Hope I'm wrong - but beyond blind hope I'm not see anything to suggest he will much better next season.

Sure he will have had more time to settle - but counter that with a while out from injury - it's just really difficult to see an improved Wesley next season.....imo of course...

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Heading is 100 percent his weakest attribute.

A few good saves in there too, and a couple of the post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bloke is enormous. When he times whatever it is he is trying to do right, he is literally unstoppable (a la the Everton goal), but I think his size is also a hindrance at times. There were plenty of occasions where he looked really awkward on the ball last year, which is not a great quality for a forward! He's still got a helluva lot to do to prove that he can make it in my opinion. Plenty of raw potential and the pre-injury upturn in form has probably bought him some more time, but he just doesn't inspire confidence. We'll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Heading is 100 percent his weakest attribute.

It's quite remarkable that header at Watford didn't go in. 50/50 a preposterous save and a shocking miss.

I agree, and I think in general his whole game in the air is poor, not just heading at goal. Frustrating it didn't really improve when he was fit because it's exactly the sort of thing Terry should be doing with him. What doesn't the defender want you to do? Do that! All the time!

It's the only part of his game I felt he lacked effort in, and I think it's because he doesn't know what he's trying to do and got annoyed at so many fouls being given against him. Nous required. Again, coaches need to advise ideally. Hopefully he's had several hefty meetings with analysts talking him through his game.

Outside of Burnley, where we ripped them apart on the deck, Wes' best performances v Everton and Norwich featured him clattering into CBs very early and stopping them winning the ball. He quickly gained confidence and in most games we didn't see it anywhere near enough. He would never be in the right place to even challenge for long balls and clearances.

Hopefully when he comes back he's out of the firing line and can pick-up general positioning/hold up bits to work on from our new 50-goal-a-season striker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's quite remarkable that header at Watford didn't go in. 50/50 a preposterous save and a shocking miss.

I agree, and I think in general his whole game in the air is poor, not just heading at goal. Frustrating it didn't really improve when he was fit because it's exactly the sort of thing Terry should be doing with him. What doesn't the defender want you to do? Do that! All the time!

It's the only part of his game I felt he lacked effort in, and I think it's because he doesn't know what he's trying to do and got annoyed at so many fouls being given against him. Nous required. Again, coaches need to advise ideally. Hopefully he's had several hefty meetings with analysts talking him through his game.

Outside of Burnley, where we ripped them apart on the deck, Wes' best performances v Everton and Norwich featured him clattering into CBs very early and stopping them winning the ball. He quickly gained confidence and in most games we didn't see it anywhere near enough. He would never be in the right place to even challenge for long balls and clearances.

Hopefully when he comes back he's out of the firing line and can pick-up general positioning/hold up bits to work on from our new 50-goal-a-season striker.

Been noted a few times mate. 

Even when he first joined, a fan of his ex club came in and gave us a run down, and did say his heading was a very weak point, as well as the fact that he plays deep.

The full run down will be somewhere in the early stages of the thread but he has been pretty spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure if he had stayed fit he would have got 10-12 goals and we would have been safe before the last day of the season. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the highlight video he could have 10 goals in his 21 appearances, some really good saves there.

On the headers, there were three saves from him off his head where he got a decent contact.

I like him, he's raw but if can get over this injury there's a player there.

At some points in the video he does leave a few defenders with his pace, seems to have the ability to move quickly very suddenly. Also a few very skillful touches and flicks in there too!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Looking at the highlight video he could have 10 goals in his 21 appearances, some really good saves there.

On the headers, there were three saves from him off his head where he got a decent contact.

I like him, he's raw but if can get over this injury there's a player there.

At some points in the video he does leave a few defenders with his pace, seems to have the ability to move quickly very suddenly. Also a few very skillful touches and flicks in there too!

Glad others can see it too. I don't care if I'm biased, with some more creativity in the side I honestly believe he can bag us 15+ goals a season. 

He is better than Joelinton who cost twice as much!

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Glad others can see it too. I don't care if I'm biased, with some more creativity in the side I honestly believe he can bag us 15+ goals a season. 

He is better than Joelinton who cost twice as much!

I think he can hit double figures for sure, assuming the injury hasn’t damaged him too much. But he does need to work on his heading. If he was actually scoring those chances when he has got a strong header on target he would be prolific. I guess (stereotype coming up) they don’t spend too much time working on headers in Brazilian youth football. But his stabbed little over the top ball for Trezeguet in that video is right from the streets of Juiz de Fora. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I think he can hit double figures for sure, assuming the injury hasn’t damaged him too much. But he does need to work on his heading. If he was actually scoring those chances when he has got a strong header on target he would be prolific. I guess (stereotype coming up) they don’t spend too much time working on headers in Brazilian youth football. But his stabbed little over the top ball for Trezeguet in that video is right from the streets of Juiz de Fora. 

Tbf there were 2 excellent saves from keepers after his headers in that vid. He also seems to love low hard shots which all of his goals were. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on the Wes hype today, but if you look at the fact that after he was injured only 1 goal came from a striker for the rest of season.....

Was Wes really that poor in the beginning of the season when all these players hadn't played together before....

Is the finished article, absolutely not but his ceiling at the moment is still unknown, which is exciting.

I'm sure we'll bring in another striker but Wes will have his chance to prove himself. If Samatta is happy to play 3rd fiddle then he stays and loan out Davis. If Samatta wants to go or we get a good price for him then Davis can play that role.

I'm eagerly waiting to see what level of player we are looking to bring in, but that is for another thread...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how anyone can't see how this injury impacted our season. He was frustrating at times, no doubt. But he offered far more than Davis and samatta.

A few of those clips were him linking play to be the man who got the assist to the assister to the goal. Samatta and Davis never did this. 

Just another reason why Smith done an excellent job in keeping us up when you think of the injuries we had.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope as Wesley is still young he recovers from this injury quickly and then sparks Ben Mee right out next time we see them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Glad others can see it too. I don't care if I'm biased, with some more creativity in the side I honestly believe he can bag us 15+ goals a season. 

He is better than Joelinton who cost twice as much!

I too think Wesley has a lot of potential and will score goals as long as the injury hasn't affected him too much.

Joelinton is also a lot better than he showed this season. It's Newcastle's system which makes him look so bad. He was very good at Hoffenheim. He played a bit like Firmino does and had players around him not 50m away like at Newcastle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â