Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Didn't Harewood only ever start one league game for us? (Man Utd away, got thrashed) 

Hopefully Wesley is better than that.  

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

Disappointed to see that Statsbomb don’t think very much of him. They are an analytics site who cater to professionals, one of the guys who runs it was at Brentford with Smith, and on their most recent podcast they have concerns over the deal. He had a good season a couple of years back but barely scores outside of the six yard box and doesn’t link play up very well. He is dominant physically, let’s hope Smith can get a tune out of him. Hopefully the language barrier isn’t an issue. 

However he did score this beauty against Monaco in the Champions League...

Stats aren't everything thankfully, I think this guy is being brought for his potential of which there is plenty.

12 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Stats aren't everything thankfully, I think this guy is being brought for his potential of which there is plenty.

Thankfully his stats aren't bad either. 10 goals and 9 assists is not a bad haul in any of Europe's top tiers. He also managed to score 1 in every 3 in the Champions League.

I hope I'm wrong' ex Aston Villa star is predicting Wesley Moraes will struggle

Aston Villa's £22m striker could find it tough says former Aston Villa man

on Villa 's club-record £22m signing, Wesley Moraes.

Wesley enjoyed his most prolific season in front of goal last time out for Club Brugge, but still only managed 13 strikes.

The 22-year-old is reported to be costing Villa in the region of £22m and former Villa striker Cascarino thinks it could be a big ask to live up to the price tag.

He told talkSPORT:

“I think it’s going to be a really tough season for him.

"Hope I am wrong.

"I know how difficult it can be going to a club the size of Villa.

"I think it will a struggle for him.”

Noel Whelan is also concerned his goal output might not be what fans expect.

“It’s a statement of intent from Villa but look at Wesley Moraes’ performances, he’s not a prolific striker by any stretch of the imagination," he told Football Insider .

“The Belgian league is not at the level of the Premier League, and he doesn’t seem to be an out-and-out striker, to me. He’s a player who spends a lot of time outside the 18-yard box.

“Have Villa brought him to link the play? He is not going to go from getting 13 goals in the Belgian league to 20 in the Premier League. I very much doubt that. He will struggle to get into double figures.

“Villa’s scouts must have seen something else about his game that makes him special. In the Premier League, he will be up against international defenders of high class. He’s going to find it very tough.”

Nice on Tony writing him off before he has even kicked a ball

Tony Cascarino is a typical talksport pundit. He will give an opinion on anything he is asked about even if he has no clue whatsoever. His opinion is as good as a blind guess. It is quite possible someone stuck a bit of paper in front of him telling him what to say.

https://7500toholte.sbnation.com/2019/6/16/18680871/new-signing-analysis-wesley-moraes-xg-shotmap-heatmap-tammy-abraham-data-analysis-player-scouting

I found this article quite interesting. Suggests to me that Wesley goalscoring figures have not been incredible but that is partly due to the position he has been playing either as the deep lying forward in a front two or on the wing. He is very good at getting on the end of crosses so if he can be coached to play in a more advanced position then he could be an effective replacement for Tammy Abraham.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:58, mjmooney said:

Absolutely this. If Wesley is Peter Withe, Kodjia is a million miles from being Gary Shaw. Way too selfish. 

Kodja, Shaw polar opposites 

Whatever about ITKs being ITK or not, and the stuff on that there twitter today.  How long is this international clearance and work permit going to take?  I can't help getting nervous the longer it's not done.

Do they have clearance meetings on a day by day basis or is it some kind of panel which sits once a week or something? Could it just be bureaucracy?

Did the club announce Kalinic before his work permit went pear shaped three years ago?

Unless they were worried about the story breaking before it was confirmed, I’d be surprised if they announced the deal unless they had a large degree of certainty the deal would go through.

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Now tony cascarino has written him off saying he will struggle at villa and find it hard to live up to that price tag 

Kettle and pot, Mr Cascarino. 

16 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I have no idea what these shapes mean! Is he good or bad? 

suggesting not good. problem is with stats like this is you have no idea how he and his team are instructed to play which massively affects the stats on ‘pressures’, ‘pressure regains’, ‘aerial wins’ etc.

who knows. let’s see how he plays in our team.

• Thanks 1

Says **** all about his ability to bring others into play and hold up the ball. Letting midfielders wingers push up and create/score. Does it? Or how many defenders he keeps busy. 

Edited by Skruff

Â