Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Tbf to Wes, some performances were questionable but he was on target for v10 goals this season. Other players that scored around that firminho, lacazette, grealish, greenwood, maupay.

Double figures in his first season would have been a good return. I'm happy to see if we get him back and whether we can improve him. I'd suggest he will score a reasonable return.

He needs to improve but as we saw with luiz it can take time to settle in this league , still looks like he could come good .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I find some views on Wesley utterly staggering.

A few years ago people were writing Benteke off as being rubbish and then he got up to pace with English football, improved and became a brilliant player for us. That’s not to say Wesley is as good or will do the same but it should be enough to make people hold fire on judgment.

But perhaps that was too long ago... if only we had another Brazilian at the club who had had a patchy start to his time with us. A player who perhaps got caught on the ball too many times as he struggled to get up to speed with the pace of the game, perhaps one who then as the season drew to a close became one of our best players....

Would be a handy point of comparison and illustration of how players can become accustomed to their surroundings and improve their performances.

If only we had someone like that, it might make people think a little more about their assessments of Wesley.

Shame we don’t aye.... so yeah Wesley is rubbish. 🤦‍♂️

I'll answer for them in advance:

"At least with Luiz you could see shunts of a decent player, thing is, Wesley can't pass, can't run,  can't head the ball or score and frankly looks like he could barely make it in the Championship"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

A few years ago people were writing Benteke off as being rubbish and then he got up to pace with English football, improved and became a brilliant player for us. That’s not to say Wesley is as good or will do the same but it should be enough to make people hold fire on judgment.

But perhaps that was too long ago... if only we had another Brazilian at the club who had had a patchy start to his time with us. A player who perhaps got caught on the ball too many times as he struggled to get up to speed with the pace of the game, perhaps one who then as the season drew to a close became one of our best players....

Would be a handy point of comparison and illustration of how players can become accustomed to their surroundings and improve their performances.

If only we had someone like that, it might make people think a little more about their assessments of Wesley.

Who knows, it might be a shorter adjustment period for the guy who was developed at Vasco da Gama academy, was scouted and signed by Man City than it is for the guy who started playing amateur football when he was 16 and moved via Slovakia to Belgium?

I can only comment on the games he played here, never seen him before. Which way he will develop is anyones guess. Comparing 2 players just because they are from the same country is a bit weak as they have fundamentally different backgrounds. One is a academy product and the other started playing because he needed to support his kids when he was 16. 

Pretty sure most agree that the big issue was that we didn't sign anyone else along with him. He shouldn't have had to play almost 90 minutes for 21 consecutive games. No striker should. A few games off the bench during his long slump and he might have started firing much sooner.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Whether he improves or not. We need a better striker.

We can't afford to wait for Wesley to become good. We need someone who is ready made and can score 10-15 goals.

Tammy the obvious target, but wouldn't be upset if we got Mitrovic or Wilson.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

"At least with Luiz you could see shunts of a decent player, thing is, Wesley can't pass, can't run,  can't head the ball or score and frankly looks like he could barely make it in the Championship"

Didn't Luiz have previous good form at another high ranking European club where he was on loan ? Girona IIRC ?

Sure players take time to settle - and let's hope Wes comes good next season. But his best  season is 11 goals in a much weaker Belgium league. - I wouldn't bank too much on him making an impact here.

• Like 1

Wesley comes back and fights it out with the 50m striker we've signed who no ones ever heard of but he’s got a sweet YouTube Vid. 

He won’t be a starter next year and he needs to fight it out with aforementioned red hot super striker and Davis for a place in the team/on the bench. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wesley comes back and fights it out with the 50m striker we've signed who no ones ever heard of but he’s got a sweet YouTube Vid. 

He won’t be a starter next year and he needs to fight it out with aforementioned red hot super striker and Davis for a place in the team/on the bench. 

Think Davis might be out on loan.

I don't doubt Wesley will be in around the first team next season. Whether he can make an impact who knows- have to say I doubt it - but then again I thought Doyle-Hayes was the next Gordan Cowan's !!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Think Davis might be out on loan.

I don't doubt Wesley will be in around the first team next season. Whether he can make an impact who knows- have to say I doubt it - but then again I thought Doyle-Hayes was the next Gordan Cowan's !!!!

And that Konsa was Championship standard. 

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agreed. If Wesley can push his way into the team after us signing what I hope will be a very good striker than that can only be good for Aston Villa. Same goes for Davis or Samatta.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

It was never Wes' goal tally that mattered, it was all performance that was the issue. It was not good enough.

IMO he was drastically lacking in technique, movement and general understanding of key things like holding the ball up and making himself an option.

But he's not going anywhere, I hope he can improve behind the scenes and make some positive steps next season out of the firing line. He won't be first choice first game back and that's a good thing for everyone.

Spot on. Comparing him to Luiz getting in form is absurd. Luiz always showed fundamental abilities for his position. Wesley didn't. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 3

Remembering why I’ve stayed out of on topic as much as I have this season.

You guys just make it up to suit your moods.

Wesley put in more than one good performance, he also scored a few times so all this crap about him “never showing it” is just that - crap.

• Like 2

You only have to look at how few goals our other strikers scored between them to know that Wesley had potential. He is our best striker (post injury verdict pending)

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Spot on. Comparing him to Luiz getting in form is absurd. Luiz always showed fundamental abilities for his position. Wesley didn't. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Luiz often looked weak and had no positional sense for someone in his position. Comes back after lockdown and now he's looking like Busquets, shrugging people off the ball and always being at the right place at the right time. I don't think that's something you can just develop in a few months. What I think happened was he got up to speed with the league physically and mentally and his true talents have now started to shine through.

I'm very hesitant on writing foreign players off, even if they look like they can't trap a ball at first. I even expect Trezeguet to look a lot better next season. Same goes for Nakamba. All 3 of them have some talent there, maybe not as much as Douglas, but if they can realize it like he did then they can be of good use to Aston Villa. For Wesley, I've seen enough in the games against Everton, Arsenal and Burnley to show me that there is definitely a player there to be unearthed.

• Like 4

You just wont change any entrenched view on Wesley by those on here. Think of how much slack and lack of criticism Davis gets, basically the same age, speaks the language, time to establish himself with the squad over several years but simply unable to score. 18 appearances, 538 minutes, no goals, no assists. Some on here will tell you that he is a better all round player?

Who on here knows how Smith asked Wesley to play? He never played the leading forward, high goal return striker. Looked to me like Smith wanted him to play almost in a withdrawn position as a foil/pivot for McGinn, Grealish, El Ghazi and Trez to play off so the goals were shared around, I think Smith felt that was where our goals were coming from. If they wanted an out and out striker they chose the wrong man because he had no history of a high goal tally,

He is our player, he is young and talented, give him time, let him settle in. Then judge.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, thunderball said:

You just wont change any entrenched view on Wesley by those on here. Think of how much slack and lack of criticism Davis gets, basically the same age, speaks the language, time to establish himself with the squad over several years but simply unable to score. 18 appearances, 538 minutes, no goals, no assists. Some on here will tell you that he is a better all round player?

Who on here knows how Smith asked Wesley to play? He never played the leading forward, high goal return striker. Looked to me like Smith wanted him to play almost in a withdrawn position as a foil/pivot for McGinn, Grealish, El Ghazi and Trez to play off so the goals were shared around, I think Smith felt that was where our goals were coming from. If they wanted an out and out striker they chose the wrong man because he had no history of a high goal tally,

He is our player, he is young and talented, give him time, let him settle in. Then judge.

Again, can only judge by the game he actually played here. He's not played since Jan 1st (where he had a good game) so not much for people to adjust their opinions on.

Guess he can get even better or worse in peoples minds when out injured but what people saw when he played, good or bad or both is likely what they are basing their opinion on.

If indeed Smith wanted him to drift wide and leave the box empty then that is on Smith, it created a problem for us rather than the opponents.

First he must get fit, then he will have to fight his way back into the team, then I hope he picks up the performance level he had in the game he got injured.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

before mee viscously crippled him he was tearing burnley apart.  I'm not saying he'd proven he was a class act or anything but generally his hold up play was good and he could hit a wide range of passes probably better than anyone in the team.  imo he was showing signs of turning into a player but I suspect he's now finished.  That injury looked career ending to me.

58 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Remembering why I’ve stayed out of on topic as much as I have this season.

You guys just make it up to suit your moods.

Wesley put in more than one good performance, he also scored a few times so all this crap about him “never showing it” is just that - crap.

8 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

before mee viscously crippled him he was tearing burnley apart.  I'm not saying he'd proven he was a class act or anything but generally his hold up play was good and he could hit a wide range of passes probably better than anyone in the team.  imo he was showing signs of turning into a player but I suspect he's now finished.  That injury looked career ending to me.

It's as if it doesn't exist.

(I'm out of likes)

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â