Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed. There is a popular myth that if you win the ball it cannot be a foul - no such rule exists.

Well according to whichever moron was the VAR official for the Watford game yesterday - it does matter.

Edit - May not have been Watford game, whichever one it was where a red was given but downgraded to yellow, maybe City/Everton

Edited by bannedfromHandV

39 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed. There is a popular myth that if you win the ball it cannot be a foul - no such rule exists.

Absolutely. If you don't get the ball, it's clearly not a fair tackle. You just took the man out.

But even if you get the ball, you can still be engaging in playing in a dangerous way which is a foul. In fact there's a whole section on it:

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

From the side, using both legs, uncontrolled, and using force that buckles the other man's knee = foul.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

🤷‍♂️

That isn’t wrapped. 

Look, it’s obviously a massive shame Wesley has got injured from this, but there is not a chance that anyone is calling for a red card for that if he isn’t injured. 

How isn't it wrapped? It literally is.

This is the 3rd or 4th time Ben Mee has done this. If it was his first I probably wouldn't ask for a red.

But he keeps tackling like this. He broke Joe Gomez's leg. He has likely torn Wesley's ACL. Enough is enough.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That isn’t wrapped. 

Look, it’s obviously a massive shame Wesley has got injured from this, but there is not a chance that anyone is calling for a red card for that if he isn’t injured. 

Of course it is. Proper technique is to tuck your trailing leg behind you, and then Wesley's leg doesn't get trapped. Probably still gets wiped out, but no injury.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

How isn't it wrapped? It literally is.

This is the 3rd or 4th time Ben Mee has done this. If it was his first I probably wouldn't ask for a red.

But he keeps tackling like this. He broke Joe Gomez's leg. He has likely torn Wesley's ACL. Enough is enough.

It isn’t! It’s extended, Wesley gets caught in between, but it doesn’t wrap around him. That trailing leg doesn’t move to the left (as you look) to “properly” do him. As I said before, excessive force but otherwise mainly unfortunate. If Wesley isn’t injured, people aren’t calling for a red. 

The last bit may be true. I can’t remember paying any attention to Ben Mee if I’m honest. It sounds a little bit like saying Mings is a thug who stamps on people, though. 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

It isn’t! It’s extended, Wesley gets caught in between, but it doesn’t wrap around him. That trailing leg doesn’t move to the left (as you look) to “properly” do him. As I said before, excessive force but otherwise mainly unfortunate. If Wesley isn’t injured, people aren’t calling for a red. 

I disagree with absolutely everything you've said there. Awful, needless tackle from a thug who has previous.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

In the Australian Football League (Aussie Rules), the match review panel and tribunal are often criticised because they'll set their punishment based on the outcome of a reckless or intentional action instead of the action itself.

So if you bump someone high and they get up, you'll get nothing, but if you execute exactly the same bump to a concussion prone player and knock them out, you'll get suspended for several matches. It seems unfair, but it's a duty of care issue. If you're going to clatter into someone, the onus is on you to ensure that you don't hurt them.

Mee has, at the very least, gone in hard to make Wes earn it, and in doing so he's badly injured him. He's got form for doing the same sort of thing. It's not 1970. There has to be some sort of duty of care exercised and players need to be punished for making dangerous tackes, whether they get the ball or not. This wasn't a freak accident. He's tried to hurt Wes and he's ended his season. It's not okay.

Really good post. 

7 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

In the Australian Football League (Aussie Rules), the match review panel and tribunal are often criticised because they'll set their punishment based on the outcome of a reckless or intentional action instead of the action itself.

So if you bump someone high and they get up, you'll get nothing, but if you execute exactly the same bump to a concussion prone player and knock them out, you'll get suspended for several matches. It seems unfair, but it's a duty of care issue. If you're going to clatter into someone, the onus is on you to ensure that you don't hurt them.

Mee has, at the very least, gone in hard to make Wes earn it, and in doing so he's badly injured him. He's got form for doing the same sort of thing. It's not 1970. There has to be some sort of duty of care exercised and players need to be punished for making dangerous tackes, whether they get the ball or not. This wasn't a freak accident. He's tried to hurt Wes and he's ended his season. It's not okay.

Bingo.

Go in hard but accept the consequences if your recklessness ends up smashing someone's leg to pieces.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That isn’t wrapped. 

I called for a red card before I knew Wesley was injured. I saw it before the first replay. It's a disgusting tackle.

Â