Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

3 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I was amused early in the game when she  said Taylor has a wonderful delivery into the box.  Proof positive this commentator knew nothing about him!

And is partially sighted. 

I'm gutted for him, I thought this was by far his best game for us. More involved than I have seen him be before. Showed that he has good skills on the ball with his one two with Grealish for the goal, showed that he is fast and strong when he out ran and out muscled Tarkwoski, was good at keeping the ball and shewd some clever passing. Looked like he got at lot of confidence after having scored the goal and looked like he would score more. That tackle from Mee was really bad, doesn't matter if he gets the ball he should have had a red for that.

Just hope he isn't out for too long, sadly injuries like that can be career threatening. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

She was awful.

I do feel a lot of the time the criticism against female commentators goes too far and is because people find it odd hearing a woman's voice, but so many they pick are truly awful.

I have a female friend who works for Sky and is incredibly knowledgeable about football. When she just did voiceovers on the Youtube channel it was all horrific abuse. When she was in front of the camera it was all just about how good looking she was. Unfortunately she has now decided her career is behind the cameras so it's not a surprise they're always dragging out thick as shit ex players to comment instead.

You only have to look at the likes of Joe Cole to see playing at the top level is no guarantee of competency. Eni Aluko proved this when she was a pundit for our game v Chelsea.

The Swedish commentator kept saying we bought Wesley for only £1M 😄 and that we bought him and Nakamba for a combined £4M. Embarrassing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That Instagram post doesn't seem to suggest he's badly injured. If it was really serious you would think he would have at least referenced it. 

I would always write it as Villains and will continue to do so.  English being my first language for 50 years now. 

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

She irritated me throughout, but really annoyed me when seeing the replay of this tackle said there was little contact and that Wesley just fell awkwardly.

My 7 year old turned to me watching it and said ‘Daddy that woman is giving me a sore head’.  His mother then told him off lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wesley picking up a serious looking injury after ending his goal drought... does it get any more VILLA than that?! Will be a miracle if he's only out for a month 🤦‍♂️ I'm fuming with the officials and that absolute weapon Ben Mee! 

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

I definitely do and I'm happy to

All tongue in cheek mate, I'd been starting to have doubts about Dean Smith and so I look silly to and am also happy to....

Wesley definitely needs to improve end product no doubt, but he always puts in, his passing is pretty good and he is getting better and being involved in the our box rather than deep....

Kodjia takes the mick and I will be distressed if we have to rely on him to start. Yesterday was an opportunity to show what he can do, all he did was jog about at 60% effort and show how selfish he can be...

Hopefully Wes isn't out too long 😔

4 hours ago, birdman said:

Wesley picking up a serious looking injury after ending his goal drought... does it get any more VILLA than that?! Will be a miracle if he's only out for a month 🤦‍♂️ I'm fuming with the officials and that absolute weapon Ben Mee! 

Gutted and frustrated about the injury but I personally don’t think the challenge warranted a red card. It was a solid challenge that caught Wesley in an awkward position and seemed more unfortunate than outright malicious. 

If Mings had made the same challenge on Chris Wood and had been sent off I would certainly feel hard done by.

3 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Gutted and frustrated about the injury but I personally don’t think the challenge warranted a red card. It was a solid challenge that caught Wesley in an awkward position and seemed more unfortunate than outright malicious. 

If Mings had made the same challenge on Chris Wood and had been sent off I would certainly feel hard done by.

Need to see the video again, but I thought he made an unnecessary, deliberate second movement after winning the ball (the "scissoring" motion). I genuinely don't think Mings would do a tackle like this.

You can tackle people very aggressively without maiming them, if you use one leg, go in low, and hit the ball cleanly, and I'm all for that.

I'm not a great fan of the idea of "excessive force", because it's unfair on bigger, stronger players who naturally put more force into a tackle. I even think we've gone too far on punishing players going high on a bouncing ball, or going with one set of studs up. Usually these just leave a nasty bruise.

But Mee's tackle looked like he was deliberately trying to leave a bit of interest on the tackle, and by twisting the standing leg, he's potentially done permanent damage to Wesley's knee. I don't see why he needed to tackle the way he did to win the ball. If he tucks his left leg in, Wesley comes out of that uninjured.

But this is all from memory and from the photos. Will be interesting to see it again on video.

13 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Need to see the video again, but I thought he made an unnecessary, deliberate second movement after winning the ball (the "scissoring" motion). I genuinely don't think Mings would do a tackle like this.

You can tackle people very aggressively without maiming them, if you use one leg, go in low, and hit the ball cleanly, and I'm all for that.

I'm not a great fan of the idea of "excessive force", because it's unfair on bigger, stronger players who naturally put more force into a tackle. I even think we've gone too far on punishing players going high on a bouncing ball, or going with one set of studs up. Usually these just leave a nasty bruise.

But Mee's tackle looked like he was deliberately trying to leave a bit of interest on the tackle, and by twisting the standing leg, he's potentially done permanent damage to Wesley's knee. I don't see why he needed to tackle the way he did to win the ball. If he tucks his left leg in, Wesley comes out of that uninjured.

But this is all from memory and from the photos. Will be interesting to see it again on video.

It’s certainly a tough one to call and is bound to have many different opinions on it. Having watched it about 10 times from a number of angles myself, my conclusion is that Mee was entirely going for the ball although probably wasn’t concerned if he cleaned up Wesley in the process. In the context of the game (2-0 down at home and in all likelihood receiving a rollicking from Dyche at half time), it’s the sort of committed challenge that you’re expected to make in that situation as a centre half otherwise you’re labelled as “not up for the fight”. 

I’d expect Mings to do the same in that situation and certainly wouldn’t have those tackles in the same bracket as ones that the likes of Kevin Muscat and Vinnie Jones would regularly make where the intent was clearly to injure.  

• Like 2

We will definitely miss him. But it could be an opportunity for someone else in the squad and/or a new recruit.

I genuinely wouldnt mind seeing Grealish played up top in a false whatever they call it these days replace him in todays formation with one of our slower but quality midfield options.

Or just give El Ghazi a go. Sod it  He doesnt like to track back on the wing anyway. Stick him him up top. Lets see how a more selfish pacey but weaker striker can do, we have had the opposite for a while,

29 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

It’s certainly a tough one to call and is bound to have many different opinions on it. Having watched it about 10 times from a number of angles myself, my conclusion is that Mee was entirely going for the ball although probably wasn’t concerned if he cleaned up Wesley in the process. In the context of the game (2-0 down at home and in all likelihood receiving a rollicking from Dyche at half time), it’s the sort of committed challenge that you’re expected to make in that situation as a centre half otherwise you’re labelled as “not up for the fight”. 

I’d expect Mings to do the same in that situation and certainly wouldn’t have those tackles in the same bracket as ones that the likes of Kevin Muscat and Vinnie Jones would regularly make where the intent was clearly to injure.  

Fair enough - I'll go with your opinion as you've watched the replays. I've no problem with hard tackles if the intent is genuinely just to win the ball.

27 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Or just give El Ghazi a go. Sod it  He doesnt like to track back on the wing anyway. Stick him him up top. Lets see how a more selfish pacey but weaker striker can do, we have had the opposite for a while,

I genuinly think Trezeguet is more suited for it. Looking at the match yesterday Trez loves to flick the ball and instantly make a run into the channel. He always tries to get in front. El Ghazi is good at getting free on the back post. Knows how to finish, but with his sulk it would take two knocks and he'd be out of the match against any CB. Then again, we could try both. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I genuinly think Trezeguet is more suited for it. Looking at the match yesterday Trez loves to flick the ball and instantly make a run into the channel. He always tries to get in front. El Ghazi is good at getting free on the back post. Knows how to finish, but with his sulk it would take two knocks and he'd be out of the match against any CB. Then again, we could try both. 

Would be fine with that as well. Good shout.

Â