Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Now you’ve got me salivating. He will be number 9 won’t he? Who has it currently? Hogan? 

He seems to prefer wearing 7. 

14 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

When I was looking at transfers from that time, I saw Steven Fletcher being bought for £14m/15m and shuddered at the thought of what that cost would be now.

Steven Fletcher. £45m striker any day of the year! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He seems to prefer wearing 7. 

That has to go to McGinnho though right?

No. 9 for me is special, and more recently has not been given to players anywhere near worthy of it. Big Wes at No. 9. He’ll be a freaking hero.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Didn't we have one under JG? A defender? Didn't play, can't think of his name.

Somewhere between 98 and 2001.

We had a forward on loan called Gustavo Bartelt around that time who was Argentinian, but I don't think he ever made it onto the pitch for us.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NeilS said:

We had a forward on loan called Gustavo Bartelt around that time who was Argentinian, but I don't think he ever made it onto the pitch for us.

That's the one! Not sure why I thought he was a defender!

4 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

A tale spun by Roberto Carlos too, hes said before that he was close to joining us before moving to inter.

TBH never saw anything from Carlos so never believed Ellis, though profess never really researched. Not fussed for "nearly joined" players. 

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You're right, I doubt we've bought him with the intention of scoring 0 goals. I wouldn't get het up about somebody on the internet saying that his finishing could use a bit of work until we've seen what he contributes. 

Jimenez springs to mind. As, actually, does John Carew. 

Very true. If he has a impact like either of those two he will be a terrific purchase for us.

I can't say I know too much about him to be honest but I'm hoping the fan base are patient with him.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Well we apparently nearly signed Roberto Carlos and Juninho in the mid 90s.

Yeah I remember the Juninho one like it was yesterday. I really (really) wanted us to sign him. He was pictured going into VP to have talks, looked nailed on.

In hindsight it was probably for the best it didn’t happen, if I remember rightly his second spell at Boro wasn’t the dream return to England they had hoped.

Â