Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

He seems a bit of a hybrid of Tammy and Keinan

Which, if both of them were better players, would make one Didier Drogba, who is the player I'd really, really like this guy to be coached into being a facsimile of.

He clearly has the physical attributes already and he's apparently already got the hold up play, speed, skills and the ability to bully defenders. Who knows, maybe JT can have word with DD and get him to do a bit of coaching with him, Keenan and any others we may have up top. Not a full time thing, just a couple of weeks or so to give them the benefit of all the tricks and tips he could pass on.

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I appreciate it's a really lazy comparison but he reminds me so much of Benteke in the videos I've watched, it's uncanny. Build, touch, the way he carries himself with grace and power, good in the air. If he can be two-thirds the player Benteke was for us he's worth every penny.

I was just thinking he reminded me of Carew... but I guess that's a win either way!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I know nothing about him, but the first thing I notice is that he's flipping' massive!

He's got a fourteen foot wingspan and arms like clubs.

If we've got this one right he could be a proper talisman.

I'm expecting a few hulk smashes or juggernaut punches to get past his man for goals..

Really pleased with this signing, seen him in a couple of CL games and thought there was a bit of quality. As some have already said, looks like an upgraded Tammy, more physical, a little bit more speed, drop deep, hold up the ball for other attacking players etc...and will improve as a player. Up the Villa!

5 hours ago, dubbs said:

Is this the new Fifa20 gameplay I've heard about?

I couldn't even imagine if football was like that but it would be brilliant.

I would expect a footballer eith those skills to go for billions.

5 hours ago, villarocker said:

Maupay would have probably cost the same, if not more, than this. I'm not sure of the quality of the Belgian league but I doubt it's much better, overall, than our Championship. Just thinking that Wesley may work out being a steal considering his age and the development potential. 

Also, we scored the most goals from crosses last season and Abraham was a big part of that due to his height. Wesley fits that tall striker role perfectly and has probably been picked as a straight replacement for Tammy, which makes a lot of sense. 

I think he will be Tammy version 3.0.

I like his shotmap they have included here, they also do abit of comparing between wesley and Tammy:

Regardless of his presence, though, he doesn't particularly operate as a typical targetman, and he's not slow despite his size. Moraes links play fairly well, and his combination play thrives most when teammates are willing to run beyond him.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-wesley-moraes-transfer-16427271

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

If Wesley does have a big of feistiness in him that'll be great as, with Mings at the back and McGinn and possibly Phillips in the middle, we'll have a bit of true grit (please someone more technically gifted than me do a western style gif of Wes, Mings and McGinn) running through the spine of the team since McGrath knows when. 

TRO will be a very happy man!

Like others I hadn’t heard much about him until yesterday, however how could you not be excited about a new brazilian no.9 for Villa when a couple of weeks ago we were a result away from discussing the possibilities to get the best out of Hogan and how to try replacing Jack.

That said, after watching a little bit of him I don’t see the comparisons to Tammy at all. Wesley looks like a much more well rounded player who drops deeper, can control the ball better, can pass and create space and opportunities for others, as well as being able to dribble way better than what you’d expect from a 6’4 target man.

Sure he’s not the finished article, he’s not prolific enough yet and his heading must improve but then if he had this too then he wouldn’t be available to Villa in the first place. A couple of 10-12 goal seasons with good overall impact and he’ll be worth 50 mil. 

Great signing and hopefully he’ll adapt quickly.

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Like others I hadn’t heard much about him until yesterday, however how could you not be excited about a new brazilian no.9 for Villa when a couple of weeks ago we were a result away from discussing the possibilities to get the best out of Hogan and how to try replacing Jack.

That said, after watching a little bit of him I don’t see the comparisons to Tammy at all. Wesley looks like a much more well rounded player who drops deeper, can control the ball better, can pass and create space and opportunities for others, as well as being able to dribble way better than what you’d expect from a 6’4 target man.

Sure he’s not the finished article, he’s not prolific enough yet and his heading must improve but then if he had this too then he wouldn’t be available to Villa in the first place. A couple of 10-12 goal seasons with good overall impact and he’ll be worth 50 mil. 

Now you’ve got me salivating. He will be number 9 won’t he? Who has it currently? Hogan? 

53 minutes ago, villarocker said:

If Wesley does have a big of feistiness in him that'll be great as, with Mings at the back and McGinn and possibly Phillips in the middle, we'll have a bit of true grit (please someone more technically gifted than me do a western style gif of Wes, Mings and McGinn) running through the spine of the team since McGrath knows when. 

TRO will be a very happy man!

Do you want john Wayne and audley Murphy in the team as well?? A shoot out at the ok corral perhaps..

42 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I see a resemblance between the two, just that Tammy operates mostly in the box while Wesley operates outside of it mostly. They both snipe goals, track around the field to apply pressure. I am curious will Wesley go as far to do a defensive job like Tammy will.

Sounds of it he does like to pull back and let others run beyond him, so sounds abit of a weaver in and out of defenders, could be a real problem caused for midfielders and defenders.

I'm excited by this news, even more so that Bent is no longer our record signing, it's only took us eight years to smash that record. I think it shows some real guts from our Owners to make this signing, a good sign indeed of the signings we could be bringing in as this is only our third..

So who's next then I wonder.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I've read his finishing isn't the best. Let's hope not as we need as many goals as we can get to stay up!

What if it isn't the best, but he contributes more goals via his hold up play than if we had signed a different striker with better finishing? Will that do?

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What if it isn't the best, but he contributes more goals via his hold up play than if we had signed a different striker with better finishing? Will that do?

Well me personally I wouldn't get on his back if he is feeding others opportunities/assists but I'm assuming as a striker and the big fee we are paying for him we have purchased him with the intention of scoring goals.

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I've read his finishing isn't the best. Let's hope not as we need as many goals as we can get to stay up!

If he only scores 9 goals but ends up assisting 20, I would be happy with his contribution

• Like 1

Â