Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Up until Saturday yes, a few grumbles here and there but I think certainly around me he has lost any goodwill.

Damn so if he keeps up the poor performances the sarcastic cheers are likely to start.

5 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Damn so if he keeps up the poor performances the sarcastic cheers are likely to start.

It won't be long. I think the turning point yesterday was when we were 4-1 down IIRC and he had the ball just centrally inside the box, free chance to shoot and he elected to pass the ball onto El Ghazi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't understand this.

Smith's had success with strikers like Hogan and Maupay before.

I'd like us to go for that type of striker. Why did Smith have a change in approach?

Good questions.

As I said it's just my observations and understanding of how we seem to approach games.

Every chance it is flawed as I am in no way whatsoever privy to Smith's thoughts and discussions, whether tactical or regarding recruitment.

55 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I was there yesterday and i just fail to see how this guy is our main striker. A few times good balls were played into the area and he didn't even make the run required of them, so how exactly are our players supposed to know where to play the ball in? If they do he doesn't make the necessary run so what do they do with it exactly? They either try the impossible and dribble around the entire defence like Grealish often has to resort to doing, more often than not getting crowded out and losing possession or they shoot from distance as there is nobody making the runs. I've lost count of the times this season when we've had great positions but the player on the ball has no options in the box whatsoever.

So for me this is my summation of Wesley thus far (Not saying he can't improve)

Shooting from distance - Non existant

Heading - Atrocious (Especially given his height)

Control - Poor

Positioning in the box - Poor

Movement in the box - Very poor

Movement outside the box - Average

Hold up play - Occasionally average, usually poor

Close range finishing - average

Poachers instinct - poor

Pace - average (Once he's built up a run)

Reaction time - Slow

Instinctive play - poor

Link up play outside the box - Good

Tackling - Poor (For such a big unit)

Effort - Generally good

Strength - Average (Should be better for his size though)

A few weird things in there i know but that's just my honest assessment from what i've seen. He doesn't seem to have the goal scorers instinct required which may be down to age or simply not having played in the Prem long enough.

I see him as a good prospect who should be nothing more than a sub coming on to get minutes late on at the moment. A bit like a youngster breaking into the team from the reserves where they get the last 20 mins here & there initially.

I like him though and i do feel there is a player in there but he is a slow burner and we need a first choice striker or two ahead of him.

Where he's at actually reminds me a lot of where i've seen Andre Green of the last couple of seasons. You know there's a player in there but he's just not having much of an impact and it's like the game passes him by for the most part.

Lets put it this way... If he was at Chelsea he'd be loaned out a bit like Tammy was until he'd matured a bit more.

Other than a lack of footballing ability he also appears to lack intelligence and maturity, which if both were good, could aid his performances slightly. I just read the end of your post, which I hadn't fully read, and see you do mention maturity. It seems that when he has a bad shot or loses the ball he gets upset and often jumps to the floor, or remains down feigning injury. In his defence though, a number of our players do that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

What do you mean, ‘we can’t give him a break’. 

Last time I checked, there was nothing in Lansbury, Hourihane, Trezeguet, El Ghazi or Nyland’s contract to say they couldn’t play up top? 

Ok, **** it, let's give Nyland a go against the blades ;)

Watching Vardy/Abraham play in the last two matches has only confirmed what we already knew about Wesley. He is nowhere near good enough for this level.
Watching strikers move, run the channels, busting a gut to be on the end of everything etc. That's what we all want to see. Wesley just doesn't do anything and when he is called upon, he invariably just gives the ball away or it bounces off him. He has an unerring talent to be absolutely nowhere to be seen when a cross comes into the box. What the hell is he doing? 

I'm not saying we should have bought Vardy or Abraham in the summer, that would be ludicrous, but surely for the 22m we spent on this donkey, we could have bought Maupay or someone similar. We really got this one wrong in the summer. It was the one position we needed strengthening more than any and we decided to only buy one player and that player happens to be the antithesis of the modern day striker.

He HAS to be taken out of the team for the next game. The players don't want him on the pitch and nor do the fans. He's killing us.
I'm close to saying I hope he gets injured and before any of you jump on my back, I have spoken to several people who, when he went down at the weekend, genuinely wanted him to stay down and be taken off. 

• Like 1

Was funny yesterday cause he had a move on the right wing where he ran past a defender and crossed. I instantly made a memory of it, cause it's the first time in half a season I've seen him move past a defender on his own. 

I also remember Grealish passing the ball to his feet and Wesley getting a free run forwards. As he is the least lethal striker I've seen moving towards goal I thought "well he's inside the box now, but it's Wes so nothing will happen". Look and behold, nothing happened. He ran towards the chalk and created nothing. 

He is just so unbelievably bad. It's hard to fathom he's been bought for £ 22 million and it's unreal he actually got an international cap. Mind. Boggles. 

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Upon reading the suggestions for who we might play alternative to Wes, I don't think people entirely grasp what Smith wants to do.

I think we all, well most of us get it. I understand the concept of a 451/433 with lots of goals from midfield. I understand the importance of a striker coming deep and bringing that midfield into play. I understand the importance of a targetman or false 9 or whatever you wanna call it. But the problem is that Wesley is beyond crap at everything this involves. At times he drops deep and gets a pass off, but that does not mean he's good at hold up play. 

I kinda concur with some others that it's weird we are stuck with Wesley when Deano has previously used Hogan, Maupay and the likes. Maupay for instance has so much more movement, agility, explosiveness which could be useful with a creative midfield like ours behind it. It would suit well with how we play. No idea why we ended up going the other way with an incredibly clumsy, slow, lackluster lump of a technical calamity. 

We desperately need movement up top, so it's obvious we should give Trez the job from now on. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I like him though and i do feel there is a player in there but he is a slow burner and we need a first choice striker or two ahead of him.

Where he's at actually reminds me a lot of where i've seen Andre Green of the last couple of seasons. You know there's a player in there but he's just not having much of an impact and it's like the game passes him by for the most part.

Lets put it this way... If he was at Chelsea he'd be loaned out a bit like Tammy was until he'd matured a bit more.

I think if we buy better options in the next two transfer windows and stay up, a loan to a championship side would indeed be a good option. He needs to adapt to the physical style of play and stop going down every five seconds. He’s a big guy, the championship should suit him.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Ok, **** it, let's give Nyland a go against the blades ;)

I made a post in the Nyland thread....tbf his finishing in the goalkeepers warm up borders on outrageous at times. He has great technique.

I'd have him up front instead of Wesley.

Am I joking? I am not sure anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I cannot see how he will ever be good enough for the PL, but we should loan him into the Ch to see if he can improve, or at least do enough to sell to a CH club.

I think he is will just go down as a poor signing and we will be taking a hit on him. These things happen - though I still wonder what the management team saw in him.

Have a feeling come the end of the season we'll look back on a lot of these posts and have a laugh at how hilariously wrong they were about Wesley. It's still but the dawn of his curriculum Villa vitae, all it will take is a few goals in the coming matches and his goals to game ratio will suddenly be looking decent again, just needs to get going once more.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

DS MUST PLAY JK NOW.

Agreed, at least until Davis returns.

Dean Smith just needs to bite the bullet, brush his stubbornness aside and accept that Wesley isn't anywhere near good enough at the moment.

You can say all you want about JK but he does make runs into the box and does get to the end of crosses.

• Like 1

Â