Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think you're being unfair right there. Pretty sure he was saying something along the lines of "might as well put Engles up there because surely he can't do any worse than Wesley", not that he specifically  wanted Engles to play up there. 

I'm not. @Delphinho123 is still arguing with me that Engels would be better. 

Just now, av1 said:

The fact he is a striker that has scored goals. 

Who’s to say Engels wouldn’t score goals if played in the same position. What is it about Wesley’s game that makes you think he’s better than Engels as a striker? What attributes? 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm not. @Delphinho123 is still arguing with me that Engels would be better. 

Eh, I don't think he'd do much worse than Wesley if you put him up there tbh. Legitimately, I expect nothing from Wesley so if Engles can just not be an active detriment to the team, he's probably around that level.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

And we paid £22 million for him...

Was this Suso's masterstroke over Smith's keenness to sign Maupay? 

It's so much money for such a poor player it begs the question whether there's more to this transfer than we know. 

Seriously I'm giving up. Wesley hasn't been great I agree, but if you nutters are honestly suggesting playing Engels upfront you need to give you fecking heads a wobble, or at least sign up to a few Villa Facebook groups were you will be at home with other nutjobs. 

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

Seriously I'm giving up. Wesley hasn't been great I agree, but if you nutters are honestly suggesting playing Engels upfront you need to give you fecking heads a wobble, or at least sign up to a few Villa Facebook groups were you will be at home with other nutjobs. 

No one is saying play Engels up front. We’re merely suggesting an alternative to our current, flawed approach of playing Wesley up there. You still can’t tell us why Engels would be worse up there than Wesley. 

As another poster so eloquently put it, we don’t expect anything from Wesley anymore so having someone up there that doesn’t hinder the team should really improve us. 

Its not rocket science. Our management team seem to be struggling with it though. 

Edited by Delphinho123

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

I still don't see anyone actually suggesting Engles to play upfront. This is a strawman.

How anyone is blaming wesley for today's result I don't know. No one was good but and I'm sure people are blaming him for the goal but 5 of our players could have done better. Aside from that I thought he did alright he won lots of balls and created a couple of good chances.

Today our worst player was elmo at fault for a goal and kept putting us under pressure. Although all our defenders were poor. 

• Like 4

Just now, MotoMkali said:

How anyone is blaming wesley for today's result I don't know. No one was good but and I'm sure people are blaming him for the goal but 5 of our players could have done better. Aside from that I thought he did alright he won lots of balls and created a couple of good chances.

Today our worst player was elmo at fault for a goal and kept putting us under pressure. Although all our defenders were poor. 

Keep going MM. There are only a few of you left now. I admire your enthusiasm. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Keep going MM. There are only a few of you left now. I admire your enthusiasm. 

Wesley isn't a great player but he hasn't actually been bad. I think a lot of you are going after him because you don't want to face the reality that our entire team except for Jack is probably relegation fodder. I also think Dean really needs to get his head out of his arse and change our style up when it isn't working. I thought we should have swapped wesley fro trez today at half-time so we could counter quicker but instead he brought off nakamba. I think he needs to be better with his substitutions and in game management. 

23 minutes ago, av1 said:

I was thinking to myself as Wes is pretty much providing zero goal threat we couldn’t really do any worse than sticking someone else up top, even someone out of position. Hourihane, El Ghazi, Kodjia etc. Not ideal. But we might get a 6 or a 7 rather than a 4 or 5 we get from Wes every week.

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

No one is blaming (solely)Wesley for the result, again another strawman. We're just fed up with how ineffective this guy has been up front and this game was the final straw for a few more people

• Like 1

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Wesley isn't a great player but he hasn't actually been bad. I think a lot of you are going after him because you don't want to face the reality that our entire team except for Jack is probably relegation fodder. I also think Dean really needs to get his head out of his arse and change our style up when it isn't working. I thought we should have swapped wesley fro trez today at half-time so we could counter quicker but instead he brought off nakamba. I think he needs to be better with his substitutions and in game management. 

‘he hasn’t been bad’...

You’re right there. He’s been f***** dreadful. 

• Like 1

Heskey mk.2 at the moment. 

Guys a donkey and needs dropping asap.  

Not saying he cant turn it around but he needs to keep working on his game behind the scenes, take his chances from the bench and earn his spot back because at present he is nothing more than a hindrance and Smith's blinkered picking of him just beggars belief. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He had scored 4 goals before that run and let’s see if he can pick up 2 or 3 goals in the next 6 games

Not about goals for me. I want to see he can play football and contribute for the team. The team incidentally, that are all sick of him and try and keep him out of the game.

It'll be a nightmare trying to explain why he still should be dropped if he scores a tap in like the Newcastle one he fluffed. Performance, performance, performance!

Wesley has to be dropped. He simply isn't up to it right now and is a liability.

Forget the bad lay-off that led to the first goal. For me, it's his lack of movement when the ball goes into the box together with not doing enough when opposing centre backs bring the ball forward. 

First half today, Elmohamady put in a beautiful cross that landed on the penalty spot. Evans cleared it without any pressure. Wesley made a late attempt to try to get to it but, as a striker, he should be seeing that cross and making sure he's first to the ball. Then, there was a back-pass that Schmeichel cleared where Wesley ran in on him but didn't even bother to stick out a boot to try to block the ball, which only just cleared him. 

Time and again their defenders brought the ball forward and had an easy pass or could play a long ball towards their forward players. 

Then, there's that really bad thing he does when he goes down like he's been shot and then gets up and runs around like nothing happened shortly afterwards. 

I'm not making a scapegoat of him. He just simply isn't up to the task right now and he has to be taken out of that team as we're playing 10 v 11 each game right now with him in our team. 

For the first time I am starting to think that Wesley should be dropped if only to make everyone realise that he is our best option. He keeps getting picked because anybody else that we could pick would be worse! Maybe Davis could do a job but he is injured so what else could the manager do but keep picking Wesley.

I also think that he is doing ok. He is clearly lacking confidence but he is still showing for the ball and putting in the work. I’m confident that he will go on to have a decent career, hopefully at Villa.

• Confused 1

Â