Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Maupay would have probably cost the same, if not more, than this. I'm not sure of the quality of the Belgian league but I doubt it's much better, overall, than our Championship. Just thinking that Wesley may work out being a steal considering his age and the development potential. 

Also, we scored the most goals from crosses last season and Abraham was a big part of that due to his height. Wesley fits that tall striker role perfectly and has probably been picked as a straight replacement for Tammy, which makes a lot of sense. 

10 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Funny but after watching the clips on the lad, imo the similarities with him and Abraham are pretty crazy. Of course they are proven in different leagues etc however the attributes of both appear like for like. I will say though that Moraes looks very composed for his age. Almost effortless at times. Especially in tight spaces(Not the bedroom you filthy lot) around the penalty area. I like the look of him very much.

Who knows how he'll get on but they way the club is being run I would not be surprised if the lad turns out to be a revelation once he has settled. I would also think the has been in the pipeline for quite a while considering how quickly this has been wrapped up. Very much dependant on our promotion back to the PL with talks probably started as soon as the Derby game ended the way Purslow is going about his business. 

Everything being done appears part of a real long term plan, contracts, signings, team structure, finances etc. More than ever when you start to look at the attributes of the players we are signing and trying to sign you can start to see a new identity unfold. Youth, pace, power, determination, technical ability and high potential. Well, for me its a real indication we are definitely heading in the right direction. The other indicator being the frigging ninja s*** going on at the club. Nobody knows jack diddly until it's been executed. I absolutely love that finally we are about serious business as collective and not just the supporters.

Spot on. It comes back to what purslow said in the sit down interview along with Smith after the play off final. Basically said the media have not got a clue who we are after and we won't be influenced by what they say either. Clearly wasn't just saying this to make a nice interview. Man was deadly serious.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Also, we scored the most goals from crosses last season and Abraham was a big part of that due to his height. Wesley fits that tall striker role perfectly 

But according to the Bruges fans, he's not very good in the air. 

6 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Maupay would have probably cost the same, if not more, than this. I'm not sure of the quality of the Belgian league but I doubt it's much better, overall, than our Championship. Just thinking that Wesley may work out being a steal considering his age and the development potential. 

Also, we scored the most goals from crosses last season and Abraham was a big part of that due to his height. Wesley fits that tall striker role perfectly and has probably been picked as a straight replacement for Tammy, which makes a lot of sense. 

Wesley never did impress with his skills at heading, though. Seems that what most points out as the big positive about this fella is his ability to learn and develop (partially considering he started playing football at 16 yo), so with his height we're allowed to hope that he could be quite fearsome at the end of crosses.

I think this could be quite a clever signing for us. He looks very strong with his back to goal (Tammy was ok at this but can certainly improve) so to have this focal point to relieve pressure and get us up the pitch could be invaluable as were not likely to dominate the ball in most games. He also looks like he's got a decent touch, is a team player (10 assists is pretty high for a striker) and by all accounts is a very hard worker too. Can't wait to see him in action

Edited by Biskitt

Like everyone else I don’t know much about him but on paper he has the attributes we need for the system we play (something I would be worried about with Maupay) and he’s the right age as well. 

It shows we are finally recruiting to a systematic plan, rather than the previous recruitment strategy of signing all the biggest names in the Championship and hoping they work well together. 

The thing is with our goals from crosses record people somewhat automatically presume headers however, the majority of our goals from headers was a low % ...... This guy could prove to be lethal given time ...🤞

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm assuming from highlight reel he doesn't take penalties which bumps up a lot of the big name PL strikers goal tallies 

A quick look suggests he took one penalty last season and scored it. Schrijvers took four of their penalties.

So no, he’s not been their main penalty taker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

The thing is with our goals from crosses record people somewhat automatically presume headers however, the majority of our goals from headers was a low % ...... This guy could prove to be lethal given time ...🤞

Mostly from the foot of player in space because we'd overloaded the opposite wing and drawn defenders

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I love this signing. Right age. Experienced. Clearly ambitious. 

No more big money signings we're stuck with, with no sell on fee. 

i love the fact that nobody, anywhere predicted it. 

Just as long as he isn't shit!

• Haha 1

This is a real statement signing. A show of intent. Is it a coincidence that we have made this particular signing early? Possibly but let’s be honest it will create a buzz around the club. It will make Villa look like a good place to be and will hopefully act as a draw to other potential recruits. Our exec finally seem to really know what they are doing. Love it!

Â