Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Are you suggesting we drop Wesley and play Kodjia going forward? 

Definately not. 

But simply because we have to endure Wesley's shite performances another 10 matches, doesn't mean it's not okey to point them out. Or talk about how we need a new striker. 

But it seems we are in agreement on that.

Happy weekend. 

rob joe philbin GIF

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Again it's all very well saying that but Davis most likely won't be back until January. So it's Kodjia or Wesley.

We've created this situation ourselves by not bringing in a second striker.

Writing Wesley off after four months is just plain daft.

perhaps i have a different definition of 'writing off' but i would say that would only apply to anyone saying that we should sell him in jan and that he will never make it with us....which only one poster has ever said (who is never really taken seriously)

just because we are saying his performances thus far have been largely shite (and they really, really have), it doesn't mean we're writing off. i believe he will come good for us...but i think that will be in the final 3rd of this season at the earliest by which time we will be firmly in the bottom 3 if we dont bring in a goalscorer in jan

i think those saying he's been playing well are overcompensating because they dont want to be seen as 'writing off' a young player. it's OK to say he's been shite...he's a big boy, he can handle it, and will improve. if you seriously think his overall performances have been good enough, you have very low expectations

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think those saying he's been playing well are overcompensating because they dont want to be seen as 'writing off' a young player. it's OK to say he's been shite...he's a big boy, he can handle it, and will improve. if you seriously think his overall performances have been good enough, you have very low expectations

To be honest he's performing as I expected him to. I thought he would struggle, the Premier League is a huge step up.

I felt in the Summer that we had made a big mistake in not signing a striker, an oversight by the club in some ways.

When he's been good he's been very good, when he's been bad he's been very bad. If we were to get to some middle ground then I think there is hope for him. However as I said I didn't expect him to hit the ground running, and unfortunately he hasn't. I do believe he will come good though.

5 hours ago, birdman said:

We are poor in the final third, decision making, pass selection, crossing, shooting. Everyone has a part to play not all down to Wes. We start fixing this situation, Wes will score more. 

You can say that again.

I agree with your first sentence.

Didn't say it was all down to Wes, just that he's been poor.

If we fix it, my worry is that Wes might start scoring a few more, but should be scoring a lot more. We are a good team to play for as a striker.

Ideal situation is that he does get stronger, start holding the ball better, and bag a hatful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Our wingers need to do more when we haven’t got the ball. Sick of seeing opposing fullbacks bomb it forward whilst Trez or El Ghazi just stand there and watch leaving our full backs isolated. Our chances conceded keep coming because of this.   

We have to be better and becoming a 4-5-1 formation when haven’t got the ball. Our midfield 3 can’t handle it.

The reason we concede isn't because of the wingers it is because the midfield 3 give the ball away as soon as we win it back. This puts us under constant pressure and is why we concede late in games because teams eventually get lucky no matter how good defensively we are.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

You can say that again.

I agree with your first sentence.

Didn't say it was all down to Wes, just that he's been poor.

If we fix it, my worry is that Wes might start scoring a few more, but should be scoring a lot more. We are a good team to play for as a striker.

Ideal situation is that he does get stronger, start holding the ball better, and bag a hatful.

We clearly aren't we only have one player who has taken more than 22 shots and that is mcginn. 30 players have taken more shots than Wesley, el ghazi, trezeguet and grealish. Maupay who plays for Brighton has taken 37 shots 15 more than Wesley and scored the same number of goals. The fact is although we are taking a lot of shots and spreading them around the team we just aren't creating chances for our best players in good positions. Remember mcginn has probably taken 15 to 20 shots from outside the box and scored none of them. If we take that away we are actually 13th in the league in shots so we aren't necessarily creating a huge number of convertible chances.

Aside from that our build up play has been very poor and we haven't really given the opportunity for any of our attacking players to shine accept for grealish because our movement is crap so no one takes advantage of the space grealish creates. 

Was only followed it by phone, would've switched on a stream if he'd come on early second half but didn't bother with him on in 87th minute.

Brazil played their first choice 11 today so imagine him and Luiz will get more minutes in their second friendly.

people really talking about selling him??

Have we not learned from past sales?

No doubt we sell he moves into another club and starts banging them in at a higher rate.

I'm absoloutly against the idea and I think a year on from now he will mature nicely and find his way.

If we're going to buy another striker come January, we have time to develop and condition Wesley into a goal throbbing machine, yes that's right I said throbbing, don't get giddy just yet the orgasms come down the line 😊.

Seriously though I think he's worth the patience and it doesn't matter how he's scored his goals, they were goals on the board that helped us, he's shown he can do the magic.

I've said it before but bringing in someone with experience which will be costly should complete a few objectives for us, get us goals and have Wesley learn from him as well as have a lovely sell on value if the new striker scores a ton.

I'm not as optimistic about us bringing in more 20 mill or less players that im hearing our fans are asking for, I think it's a mistake, I think we now need the step up from that and it's going to cost. If we bring in those players from the championship like benrahma, Giroud or baily I fear we will be revisiting all this again and our fans saying why didn't we bring in better quality when we had the chance to.

Better quality means looking at the bigger clubs selling there prize assets for hopefully a bargain, that will enable us to compete better. I don't see a way out of struggling to survive unless we go all in now as long as we still do our research along the way on making big money signings.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

On 15/11/2019 at 07:08, thunderball said:

Haven’t got figures to hand but watched every match, but don’t think we have serviced Wesley very well at all. He is living off scraps at the moment, both he and the team need to adapt for me.

i want him to succeed, think he can succeed but we are not playing to his strengths at the moment, other than Jack when moved to a front three, our two other forwards have looked blunt, Wesley has outscored them all. 

Just look at how his more experienced, high cost peers are getting on elsewhere in the division. We paid £22m. How much is Tammy worth now?

It's not his goal scoring that I am bothered about, 1 in 3 is about what I expected based on his previous returns. No way we should be playing to his strengths Jack is our talisman and the team should be built around him not a 1 in 3 striker! He needs developing by a good coach he's not currently a starting striker imo.

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Top 2 wesley can deeper and received the ball playing his partners and wingers in behind. 

Well he plays DEEP alot of the time here to help out, which is another reason why when he actually has on OK performance where he works hard, it goes unseen.

Hard to judge him as  a"proper" striker as circumstance and his playing style dictates differently.

I was very frustrated last match seeing how deep he was, and I only took real notice when he made a great crossfield ball.

Like "Great ball Wesley, but WTF are you doing all the way back there"?

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well he plays DEEP alot of the time here to help out, which is another reason why when he actually has on OK performance where he works hard, it goes unseen.

Hard to judge him as  a"proper" striker as circumstance and his playing style dictates differently.

I was very frustrated last match seeing how deep he was, and I only took real notice when he made a great crossfield ball.

Like "Great ball Wesley, but WTF are you doing all the way back there"?

Often he's not in the right place to get to scoring positions... maybe this is why? And if so, will he want to be a proper striker?

• Like 1

Â