Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Benteke never went to the ground unless it was a clear and obvious foul.

Wesley really need to get it out of his game.

Who even knows what the definition of these words is anymore

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

Who even knows what the definition of these words is anymore

I'm one of those who is asking you to please explain because some of us wonder if the meaning has changed.

Carol vorderman has been let loose on those two words, creating new meanings for old words is her super ability.

Everyone was mocking Sheffield United for signing Mousset, pointing out his goal scoring record, it was me who pointed out that his goals to minutes ration was actually pretty decent.

On 21/07/2019 at 13:00, useless said:

Mousset migth have played in sixty games for Bournemouth but that stat is slightly misleading by itself, when you add it up in terms of minutes on the pitch it's more like twelve games worth of football that he's played in. So three goals gives him an average of a goal every four games, and when you consider that will be from getting minutes here and there and not being able to get in to any kind of rhythm because of being in and out of the team, then suddenly it doesn't look so bad.

Man, its good to finally be able to post on this site instead of just lurking and all.

Anyway, I looked up Wesley's expected goals stats for the past 3 games, and he's actually number 7 in the list of Villa players. Grealish, Mcginn, El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Hourihane and even Davis have a higher expected goals talley in the past 3 games than our current top man. Davis has somehow accrued a higher expected goals talley in a total of 30 minutes of time in the last 3 games than Wesley has had in 241 minutes of the last 3 games. Now, that's not to say Davis would actually meet that expected goal talley since his finishing is crap but its still pretty interesting how low it has been and highlights how unlikely Wes was to score in those 3 games even compared to other Villa players.

If you include the last 5 games, which includes the famous Norwich game, then his stats jump up considerably, so much so that Wesley is number 1 in terms of expected goals which really highlights how much that Norwich game did to improve his stats in general. If you increase the scope to include the last 10 games and all games in the PL so far, Wesley is shown to still be comfortably number 1 in terms of expected goals too. I checked his expected goal talley in that individual Norwich match, he was expected to have 2.62 goals in that one match, which makes sense when you consider how many goals he actually got and the missed penalty. But his actual expected goals talley throughout the whole season aside from this match has actually been at around 2.4. In short, Wesley's expected goal talley in the last 10 games if you discount the Norwich(but including the Everton match where he also performed admirably) is less than the expected goals he accrued in that one singular game, giving him a goals per game talley of less than 1 out of 4 without the Norwich match and 1 out of 2 with the Norwich match. 

What I'm trying to essentially say is that whilst Wesley can be amazing for one game, he tends to have many poor games in between. I do think he is very wildly inconsistent in terms of how good he can be in a game but he is far more likely to be poor in a game than to be great in one. Now I know this is generally the consensus of him anyway, but I just wanted to analyze this from mostly a stats perspective. Are we really in a position where we can afford to place a striker who is going to score loads of goals in 1 every 5 matches(this is already a pretty generous ratio in my book considering he probably isn't going to be up against a backline as poor as Norwich's every 5 games) but be largely crap in those other 4 matches? And this is mostly from a goal scoring perspective as well, which is the main argument for Wesley, I too agree with the notion that he generally doesn't seem to do the other parts of the game all that well either.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

49 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Man, its good to finally be able to post on this site instead of just lurking and all.

Anyway, I looked up Wesley's expected goals stats for the past 3 games, and he's actually number 7 in the list of Villa players. Grealish, Mcginn, El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Hourihane and even Davis have a higher expected goals talley in the past 3 games than our current top man. Davis has somehow accrued a higher expected goals talley in a total of 30 minutes of time in the last 3 games than Wesley has had in 241 minutes of the last 3 games. Now, that's not to say Davis would actually meet that expected goal talley since his finishing is crap but its still pretty interesting how low it has been and highlights how unlikely Wes was to score in those 3 games even compared to other Villa players.

If you include the last 5 games, which includes the famous Norwich game, then his stats jump up considerably, so much so that Wesley is number 1 in terms of expected goals which really highlights how much that Norwich game did to improve his stats in general. If you increase the scope to include the last 10 games and all games in the PL so far, Wesley is shown to still be comfortably number 1 in terms of expected goals too. I checked his expected goal talley in that individual Norwich match, he was expected to have 2.62 goals in that one match, which makes sense when you consider how many goals he actually got and the missed penalty. But his actual expected goals talley throughout the whole season aside from this match has actually been at around 2.4. In short, Wesley's expected goal talley in the last 10 games if you discount the Norwich(but including the Everton match where he also performed admirably) is less than the expected goals he accrued in that one singular game, giving him a goals per game talley of less than 1 out of 4 without the Norwich match and 1 out of 2 with the Norwich match. 

What I'm trying to essentially say is that whilst Wesley can be amazing for one game, he tends to have many poor games in between. I do think he is very wildly inconsistent in terms of how good he can be in a game but he is far more likely to be poor in a game than to be great in one. Now I know this is generally the consensus of him anyway, but I just wanted to analyze this from mostly a stats perspective. Are we really in a position where we can afford to place a striker who is going to score loads of goals in 1 every 5 matches(this is already a pretty generous ratio in my book considering he probably isn't going to be up against a backline as poor as Norwich's every 5 games) but be largely crap in those other 4 matches? And this is mostly from a goal scoring perspective as well, which is the main argument for Wesley, I too agree with the notion that he generally doesn't seem to do the other parts of the game all that well either.

Yeah but the thing is we are around the bottom of the league. We only need 13 wins for typical safety with 1 draw and we will probably get somewhere around that region with 5 or 6 draws. We'd only needs to show up half the time for us to win and I wouldn't blame him for his poor EXG in games other than Norwich. I think we need to play the ball to his feet more so he can get involved with play rather than chasing long balls that even on his finest day he has no chance of winning. In his best games we have played the ball to his feet or in behind rather than hoofing the ball where his strength is more of an asset than a weakness (with long balls he is more likely to foul because he knocks a defender over). 

You can see this from him having fouled the most in the league 26 times but he hasn't received a single booking when 2nd and 3rd have received 6 and 4 yellow cards to this point. 

Edited by MotoMkali

23 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah but the thing is we are around the bottom of the league. We only need 13 wins for typical safety with 1 draw and we will probably get somewhere around that region with 5 or 6 draws. We'd only needs to show up half the time for us to win and I wouldn't blame him for his poor EXG in games other than Norwich. I think we need to play the ball to his feet more so he can get involved with play rather than chasing long balls that even on his finest day he has no chance of winning. In his best games we have played the ball to his feet or in behind rather than hoofing the ball where his strength is more of an asset than a weakness (with long balls he is more likely to foul because he knocks a defender over). 

You can see this from him having fouled the most in the league 26 times but he hasn't received a single booking when 2nd and 3rd have received 6 and 4 yellow cards to this point. 

But the thing is, he isn't even showing up half the time. Tell me, how many PL games do you think Wesley has actually done at least decent in? For me, its only been the 3 games so far, the games he's scored in(I'm just gonna take people's word on the Everton game since I didn't see it myself). I'm not saying he needs to score to have a decent game, but the rest of his contribution has been generally so poor in games where he doesn't score that he just doesn't have decent games when he doesn't score. Maybe at a stretch the Liverpool match although I'm not entirely convinced since despite being pretty dominant in the air for once, he had 0 shots and was generally ineffective, albeit I don't think its entirely his fault considering how hard it was for our team in general to hold on to the ball in that match. But its basically 3 or 4 out of 11. That's not even half the time.

Should the worst happen, and Kodjia and Wesley both got injured while Davis was out, I wonder who Smith would play up there. Trezeguet or El Ghazi seem the obvious options.

14 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Should the worst happen, and Kodjia and Wesley both got injured while Davis was out, I wonder who Smith would play up there. Trezeguet or El Ghazi seem the obvious options.

i wouldn't trust Trezeguet up front yet. The man has like poor composure and poor finishing ability, both traits that I think is fundamental to being good up front despite his good performance last game. I think he assets is best suited as a direct winger anyway.

El Ghazi I can see playing in this role tbh. Hourihane is a good shout too. he always seems to score, honestly he might be suprisingly good if we need someone to chuck up front and he isn't a vital presence in midfield.

3 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

But the thing is, he isn't even showing up half the time. Tell me, how many PL games do you think Wesley has actually done at least decent in? For me, its only been the 3 games so far, the games he's scored in(I'm just gonna take people's word on the Everton game since I didn't see it myself). I'm not saying he needs to score to have a decent game, but the rest of his contribution has been generally so poor in games where he doesn't score that he just doesn't have decent games when he doesn't score. Maybe at a stretch the Liverpool match although I'm not entirely convinced since despite being pretty dominant in the air for once, he had 0 shots and was generally ineffective, albeit I don't think its entirely his fault considering how hard it was for our team in general to hold on to the ball in that match. But its basically 3 or 4 out of 11. That's not even half the time.

I disagree the games he has been best in he played deeper and we were passing to feet more. This is a tactics issue and currently I don't think Dean is getting the best out of him. His goals have come from slipping in behind the defence which we aren't taking advantage of when we are out wide weostly play high looping crosses that the defenders easily get on to. Most of our goals have come from relatively low crosses which aren't intended for the head but for volleys or tap ins. Furthermore these types of crosses are more likely to force a mistake from the centre half through a clumsy touch either with ball ending up at a players feet or in the back of his own net. We have scored 5 or so goals from these balls totalling nearly a third of our tally this year. This would play to Wesley's strengths better as well as it let's him use his strength to hold off the centre half and either finish himself or let a player behind to get it like with mcginns disallowed goal against Burnley. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

El Ghazi possibly, maybe even Jack in a false 9 role( ala Fabregas for Spain) although we miss his all round game. 

Archer  would be the only other one, as he was given an opportunity in the cup 

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

El Ghazi possibly, maybe even Jack in a false 9 role( ala Fabregas for Spain) although we miss his all round game. 

Our young strikers must be pretty poor if Kodija is the only other striker we have.

50 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Trez would be a far better option. He actually has the physique to cope. And he is direct with pace. El Ghazi might be a better finisher, but lacks almost everything else. 

Â