Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's hardly a technical thing though. We could play McGinn up front and he'd win more than Wes and he's about a foot shorter. He'd be aggressive and fight for the ball though.

It simply appears a lack of willing to go and mix it. As I said, he won everything v Norwich. Their CBs are more uncompromising than Stones and Fernandinho, why does he sometimes just not want to compete?

I think it might be a mental thing. He was bitching and sulking after 5 minutes today. The second stuff doesn't quite go his way his head drops. Which is strange considering the stories about his personal life. 

Was poor today, but would still play him ahead of Davis. 

We really need another striker. I'm fine with Wesley being hot and cold, I almost expect it. If he hit the ground running this season that would have been more surprising. The worst thing is that we didn't bring in another striker when it was obvious that Wes would likely struggle given all the changes and needing to adapt to the league. 

I'm confident he will come good though, probably after Christmas time. 

Edited by PieFacE

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Was poor today, but would still play him ahead of Davis. 

We really need another striker. I'm fine with Wesley being hot and cold, I almost expect it. If he hit the ground running this season that would have been more surprising. The worst thing is that we didn't bring in another striker when it was obvious that Wes would likely struggle given all the changes and needing to adapt to the league. 

I'm confident he will come good though, probably after Christmas time. 

Playing well one game in 9 isn’t hot and cold. 
He just looks rubbish. I hate to say it because I want him to do well. He’s so poor.

We have some really good players around him but our attacks fall apart as soon as he gets involved. Why can’t he hold the ball up? He’s a huge bloke who can’t even win headers.

There is nothing to like. Wish we’d got Maupay.

• Like 1

Very hot or cold player but increasingly far too 'cold' too often. Ideally we'd have another forward at the club to rotate as Davis isn't the answer. I still have faith but as a big Maupay fan I would have preferred him for sure, he'd suit our style of play a lot better as well.

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Very hot or cold player but increasingly far too 'cold' too often. Ideally we'd have another forward at the club to rotate as Davis isn't the answer. I still have faith but as a big Maupay fan I would have preferred him for sure, he'd suit our style of play a lot better as well.

The player we're really missing in the current system is Tammy Abraham. I think we went looking for a like-for-like replacement, and Wesley was the nearest we could find at that budget. But he just isn't as good in the air or driving at the defender.

You have to think we were never seriously after Maupay, because it's not as if Brighton massively overpaid for him.

Was a moment in the first half where we had been under a bit of pressure and the ball was played up to him almost to his feet but he completely missed it and it bounced right through him to the defender.  The commentator seemed amazed that he didn't get hold of it. 

35 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Playing well one game in 9 isn’t hot and cold. 
He just looks rubbish. I hate to say it because I want him to do well. He’s so poor.

We have some really good players around him but our attacks fall apart as soon as he gets involved. Why can’t he hold the ball up? He’s a huge bloke who can’t even win headers.

There is nothing to like. Wish we’d got Maupay.

You did so well until you mentioned Maupay. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The player we're really missing in the current system is Tammy Abraham. I think we went looking for a like-for-like replacement, and Wesley was the nearest we could find at that budget. But he just isn't as good in the air or driving at the defender.

You have to think we were never seriously after Maupay, because it's not as if Brighton massively overpaid for him.

Wesley is nothing like him to be honest. 

Maupay has the sort of versatility across the front line and front foot aggression that would go so well in this side IMO. You're probably right we weren't seriously in for him but I certainly would have preferred to Wesley.

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wesley is nothing like him to be honest. 

Oh I agree, but I think that was the logic - tall, powerful striker who is comfortable dropping deep and running the channels, and doing all the link up work. The difference is that Tammy has the turn of pace and aerial ability to do the more conventional centre-forward work that Wesley doesn't seem cut out for.

28 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

He’s not exactly replaced Tammy’s goals yet. I hope he improves but I’m not confident he will ever be what we hoped we were getting.

It's not the goals that worries me, it's his overall play.

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

When breaking quick he danders up the field. There is then nobody in the box. I think he is just a lazy big lump

Yeah that annoys me too.  He is all just raw potential right now, it'll be the goals he chips in with against weaker teams that will define his season.

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah that annoys me too.  He is all just raw potential right now, it'll be the goals he chips in with against weaker teams that will define his season.

What raw potential?

What actually are his strengths?

6 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Cannot head the ball, can’t hold the ball up, can’t control the ball, has no physicality and doesn’t get any refereeing decisions. A complete and utter waste of space. 

But apart from that, he's **** deadly. :crylaugh:

Some of the comments here are ridiculous. We're talking about a 22 year olds first season in England.

He has 4 goals and an assist despite struggling to adapt. 

Yes, he's been poor but Strikers are ultimately judged by goals and his return is acceptable at this stage. 

• Like 1

Not impressed by his performance today but sometimes I do question the tactics we play, Wes looked a little better when he had El Ghazi almost playing as second striker. Today Trez didn't do that role at all, Wes was back as a hold up striker flicking on headers to no one, something we know he can't do well at all.

No idea why Dean thinks hoofing the ball up to Wes works especially when isolated.

9 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Not impressed by his performance today but sometimes I do question the tactics we play, Wes looked a little better when he had El Ghazi almost playing as second striker. Today Trez didn't do that role at all, Wes was back as a hold up striker flicking on headers to no one, something we know he can't do well at all.

No idea why Dean thinks hoofing the ball up to Wes works especially when isolated.

Wes definitely looks better when he has wide forwards around him, but we didn't really have the luxury of trying that out today against City. I think the plan was to keep it tight and hope for a bit of luck. Going in 0-0 at half-time, you'd say the plan worked, and Trez did a very good job defensively, even if he was terrible in possession.

As for the hoofing the ball up to Wes thing - it worked really well against Everton. It's definitely something Wes has in his locker, but for whatever reason the ball wasn't sticking today.

Â