Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

47 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don’t understand some of the criticism he gets on here. I think he’s done great

I really don’t think you can claim he’s ‘done great’ so far - I’d rate his performances as ‘disappointing’ 

He’s not rubbish and he has potential but we just can’t afford to wait for it to flourish in my opinion. 

I'm certain they will bring in an alternative over the Xmas window

Maupay who cost roughly the same money looked a world apart yesterday 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I really don’t think you can claim he’s ‘done great’ so far - I’d rate his performances as ‘disappointing’ 

He’s not rubbish and he has potential but we just can’t afford to wait for it to flourish in my opinion. 

Spot on.

Hasn’t he scored more goals in the less appearances that Benteke did when he first signed for us?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Tekkers was awesome for us and took some time to warm up... I’m confident Wes will get there... Call it blind faith in Dean Smith, call it naivety... but I reckon we could be on to a goodun... Just a shame that we didn’t sign a zippy type striker in the window as another option... I think that’s a main contributing factor towards people getting on Wesleys back... He has to shoulder pretty much all the responsibility and our only other option is Davis who is unproven, young and still learning (just like Wes)... the only difference is Wes has experience playing first team football and, crucially, in European competition...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Hasn’t he scored more goals in the less appearances that Benteke did when he first signed for us?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Tekkers was awesome for us and took some time to warm up... I’m confident Wes will get there... Call it blind faith in Dean Smith, call it naivety... but I reckon we could be on to a goodun... Just a shame that we didn’t sign a zippy type striker in the window as another option... I think that’s a main contributing factor towards people getting on Wesleys back... He has to shoulder pretty much all the responsibility and our only other option is Davis who is unproven, young and still learning (just like Wes)... the only difference is Wes has experience playing first team football and, crucially, in European competition...

Just one difference I would note - Benteke always looked strong. Wes doesn't.

If he turns into anything like Benteke I'll eat my hat.

He was one of the best strikers in the world at us, that's why Liverpool paid £30m for him before the market went insane.

Wes has many areas where he's raw.

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

According to wiki, Wesley has scored 4 in 9, that’s almost 1 in 2, if he maintains it until the end of the season then he’ll have done great. I didn’t think much of Maupay’s performance yesterday, I’m a fan of his though, although he is a hothead. Another striker should’ve been brought in in the Summer, it should be our main priority in January 

16 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

According to wiki, Wesley has scored 4 in 9, that’s almost 1 in 2, if he maintains it until the end of the season then he’ll have done great. I didn’t think much of Maupay’s performance yesterday, I’m a fan of his though, although he is a hothead. Another striker should’ve been brought in in the Summer, it should be our main priority in January 

Maupay was fantastic yesterday. Did you miss the two chances he put on a plate with through balls through our back line?

54 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I was really impressed by him. His movement is superb.  I was impressed by Brighton as a whole. I think they will have a good season and could finish mid table.

8 hours ago, VillaCas said:

I said Maupay all along before Wes joined the club, I was disappointed we didn't go for him and still are, I believed he was the answer. You could notice the clear difference between Wes and Maupay, Maupay however has tons of experience at English football and it may very well be that Wes needs that time to adjust like Neil did.

7 hours ago, villanmac said:

Maupay was fantastic yesterday. Did you miss the two chances he put on a plate with through balls through our back line?

He's a real menace yes.

Unfortunately, because of the timing and price of both signings and the fact we (and our manager) have got a bit of history with Maupay, I think they'll get compared a lot.

Maupay looked the much better player on Saturday's showing.

Yes I know Wes has more goals this season thanks.

Edited by Tomaszk

8 hours ago, villanmac said:

I wouldn't exactly call that performance fantastic, but he has attributes I like to see on strikers, i.e. quick feet, relatively good pace, can strike a ball and is very mobile. Pretty much the template for what we need to find. 

I understand Deano wants a big strong lone striker, but would be nice with options, and especially a pacy option that can strike a ball. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hippo said:

Just one difference I would note - Benteke always looked strong. Wes doesn't.

I don’t think that’s true. When Benteke first started he was poor. I remember a conversation at work when a fellow season ticket holder said, “I don’t think our mate is going to make it”. He was referring to Benteke and I think that was after about 5 games. Obviously he came good after that. Wes is developing and hopefully he’ll reach the heights that Benteke did. As his confidence grows and he learns more about playing in the PL, I believe he will use his physicality better too. 

As others have mentioned, the main difference is that his backup striker is also a young inexperienced striker, whereas the backup for Tekkers was Darren Bent. It must also be noted that he’s come into a newly formed team who are also learning on the job. I think he’s done OK so far and crucially scored some goals, but obviously there’s plenty of room for improvement. 

Edited by DaveAV1

11 hours ago, VillaCas said:

I agree with nearly all of this. I really want to support Wes but I can’t help being a tad disappointed! 

However, I didn’t think Maupay looked a world apart. He was better and he’s clearly a more confident guy generally (in fact, I think he’s a bit of a dickhead), but he’s no Beneteke/Kane himself. I didn’t think he looked like a £20m striker either, to be honest. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Maupay is lively and always puts himself about. 

Wesley definitely gets unfair criticism. He is young, never played this level regularly before so 4 goals in first 9 games is an Excellent return. I Thought Wes tried his best today. Dunk and Webster are two very big, aerially strong defenders. It's no shame for him to struggle against them, better strikers will too.

They're completely different types of striker. Maupay was average on Saturday, he had some decent chances and fluffed them, not sure how he'd even fit into out XI.

I thought Wes was okay, no worse than the majority of the other players. He was trying to get into the right places to score but it just didn't fall for him, lots of poor balls into the box. He occupied Webster and Dunk (who were both superb) enough to give our AMs the space to get into scoring positions. So far he's doing okay, once he's settled I think he'll improve. 

I have two concerns: he's slow, and has no explosiveness. Secondly, it looks to me like he doesn't anticipate/read play very well, he seems behind play quite often when he should be leading the line.

Overall, I tend to think like VillaCas regarding Wesley.

I don't see it. A few tap ins excluded I think he has been nothing short of awful.

There were a number of times on Saturday he bombed back into our half to help out. Great, fair enough, I admire the intentions....but I don't want you there. You have the first touch of a trampoline, and the balance of a new born Elephant, just stay away you're an accident waiting to happen.

On 20/10/2019 at 10:41, Tomaszk said:

Can't see this at all.

He's messy and awkward. Right now he can improve hugely on absolutely everything. His shooting is incredibly annoying. Scuffs 90% of efforts.

Literally scored over 20% of his shots. Against Brighton he had 2 shots 1 which was on the turn and was a at a shit angle the other I don't remember. 

For me he will be our most important player vs City. Considering they will probably play fernandinho and rodri at the back. He needs to be strong and physical and make them regret playing two smaller and weak midfielders at centre half. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Link? 

And what's defined as a shot? 

FPL tracks shots and has deemed that he has taken 19 shots and scored 4 goals. Conversely mcginn has taken 30 shots and scored 3 goals but I don't see anyone jumping on his back about poor finishing. 

Â