Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Can't see this at all.

He's messy and awkward. Right now he can improve hugely on absolutely everything. His shooting is incredibly annoying. Scuffs 90% of efforts.

Yes, maybe he does look a little awkward. My point was that he seems to possess ok ball skills but lacks urgency, quickness and aggression 

Ive yet to see any little move which makes me think ‘wow, he could be a real player!’

He's not without potential but I doubt we have time to wait for it to develop 

I agree about the shooting. At the moment you couldn’t imagine him producing a moment like Davis’s run and shot in injury time

• Like 1

He was awful again yesterday but based on his Everton and Norwich performances I’ll try to ease off of him. Hopefully he hits a consistent patch and takes off once he’s settled.

A big issue is that he is just such an unlikeable footballer. He’s mopey, barely ever smiles, always complaining, always falling over, looks so lazy at times, fluffs so many chances that a professional footballer should be doing much better with and just doesn’t seem like much of a team player.

Edited by Spoony

28 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

He is our current scapegoat, it's not very nice to hear in the stands. Must play on his mind when he hears the groans. 

I imagine it does - hence the muted celebrations against Norwich.  We don't half shoot ourselves in both feet at times.

Just now, bobzy said:

I imagine it does - hence the muted celebrations against Norwich.  We don't half shoot ourselves in both feet at times.

The one celebration vs Norwich looked like expectation that VAR was coming

hes doing his bit, will get better, the cramp probably caused it but the sub came at the right time yesterday, gave him his chance, wasn’t working, gave Davis his chance (also didn’t work) Davis getting some minutes and doing not a lot might make some and pipe down (although it will then be get kodjia in the mix)

Just now, villa4europe said:

The one celebration vs Norwich looked like expectation that VAR was coming

hes doing his bit, will get better, the cramp probably caused it but the sub came at the right time yesterday, gave him his chance, wasn’t working, gave Davis his chance (also didn’t work) Davis getting some minutes and doing not a lot might make some and pipe down (although it will then be get kodjia in the mix)

Nah, they were both muted.  Pretty sure after one of his goals, Grealish was getting him to go the fans.  All the press coverage had been how he was being criticised too - all from our own fans.

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Nah, they were both muted.  Pretty sure after one of his goals, Grealish was getting him to go the fans.  All the press coverage had been how he was being criticised too - all from our own fans.

Players play well and they get supported, players play poorly and they don’t. It’s always has and always will be the way

I don’t actually think he has had that much criticism so far. He is clearly our worst performing player in perhaps the most crucial position and so for me criticism has been very mild

im sure groans when he messes up are counter productive but its impossible to control genuine crowd reaction

my point earlier was that he is not without potential but that it is unlikely that we will be able to wait for him to fulfill it - I imagine the wheels are already in motion to bring in an alternative in Janauary

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I suppose we have to give him time. I don’t really rate him at all tbh. 
I can’t help but feel if we had a striker as good as McGinn or Grealish, we’d be in the top 8 now.

Why don’t you rate Wesley? In my opinion, based on what I’ve seen of him so far, he’s got a lot of potential, he’s tough, he can hold the ball up. He will improve over the next few years and hopefully that will be with us

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why don’t you rate Wesley? In my opinion, based on what I’ve seen of him so far, he’s got a lot of potential, he’s tough, he can hold the ball up. He will improve over the next few years and hopefully that will be with us

I agree with most of that - he does have potential but my fear is that we cannot afford to wait the ‘few years’ you talk about 

There was no comparison for example between him and Maupay yesterday (and I would like to think we can do even better than Maupay)

I’d be very surprised if he is not displaced by a new signing at Xmas

4 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I agree with most of that - he does have potential but my fear is that we cannot afford to wait the ‘few years’ you talk about 

There was no comparison for example between him and Maupay yesterday (and I would like to think we can do even better than Maupay)

I’d be very surprised if he is not displaced by a new signing at Xmas

I can see where you’re coming from and I agree that we can’t wait a few years. Wesley isn’t the finished article yet but the potential is huge with him in my opinion, the sky is the limit with him I think 

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

Players play well and they get supported, players play poorly and they don’t. It’s always has and always will be the way

It's ridiculous, though.  Support them regardless.  He'd been here, what, 7 games?  **** modern football.

• Like 1

Thought he was alright yesterday. Worked hard, but like people say I have no faith in his shooting ability. Akward and unnatural. 

It's his first season abroad as a young man mind. Have to give him time. 

But we need to buy another striker for competition alone. 

If he breaks 12 goals this season I think he's done well. 

3 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

He is our current scapegoat, it's not very nice to hear in the stands. Must play on his mind when he hears the groans. 

Groans when he loses the ball? Didn't go yesterday.

I'm afraid fans will groan whoever loses the ball.

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

A big issue is that he is just such an unlikeable footballer. He’s mopey, barely ever smiles, always complaining, always falling over, looks so lazy at times, fluffs so many chances that a professional footballer should be doing much better with and just doesn’t seem like much of a team player.

Is he? I just see someone who is struggling being in a new environment. He clearly has some ability and he is clearly trying. He like the rest of the side have he some good games and some bad games. He seems to get on with the others in the squad and I think he’ll grow into the role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He has got potential but he’s not tough and his hold up play is average. Pretending to be unconscious isn’t tough.

Im sure he will get better but there are strikers out there that would improve us for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He has got potential but he’s not tough and his hold up play is average. Pretending to be unconscious isn’t tough.

Im sure he will get better but there are strikers out there that would improve us for sure. 

Like who? I think Wesley has a lot of potential, Smith is great at motivating players and getting the best out of them. According to Wikipedia, Wesley has scored 4 goals in 8 appearances for us, if he maintains that scoring rate then I’ll be ecstatic. I think he is tough, just because he’s not English doesn’t mean he isn’t tough, according to Wikipedia, he worked in a screw factory as a 16 year old. He also had 2 children at ages of 14 and 16, I’d say he has had to be tough to come through that and come to a new country and perform well in his maiden season here. I don’t understand some of the criticism he gets on here. I think he’s done great

26 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Like who? I think Wesley has a lot of potential, Smith is great at motivating players and getting the best out of them. According to Wikipedia, Wesley has scored 4 goals in 8 appearances for us, if he maintains that scoring rate then I’ll be ecstatic. I think he is tough, just because he’s not English doesn’t mean he isn’t tough, according to Wikipedia, he worked in a screw factory as a 16 year old. He also had 2 children at ages of 14 and 16, I’d say he has had to be tough to come through that and come to a new country and perform well in his maiden season here. I don’t understand some of the criticism he gets on here. I think he’s done great

According to Wikipedia, Ethan Moore has retired. 

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Thought he was alright yesterday. Worked hard, but like people say I have no faith in his shooting ability. Akward and unnatural. 

It's his first season abroad as a young man mind. Have to give him time. 

But we need to buy another striker for competition alone. 

If he breaks 12 goals this season I think he's done well. 

Unfortunately, he doesn't have faith in his shooting ability either. He had a lot of space about 20-25 yards out yesterday and quickly looked to pass it on. I also wasnt impressed by his dive in the second half, which again suggests to me a lack of belief in himself. 

Jury's out for me, but his goals are buying him time. Not a £20mil striker though on what I've seen, closer to 10-12mil. Please prove the doubters wrong Wes!

• Like 1

Â