Jump to content
Tomaszk

Wesley Moraes

Recommended Posts

In terms of big-money strikers new to the league this summer, he's doing better than Joelington, Maupay, Pepe, Kean, Cutrone, McBurnie, and Callum Robinson, and is pretty much even with Haller IMHO. I would've taken that at the start of the season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's been very poor for a lot of matches though. I've never minded his scoring ratio, in fact I supported him when others overreacted on here, but the fact that he scores twice against a weak opposition and bettered his ratio, doesn't mean he's had a good start to the season. He's had 2 good and 6 poor matches. Not even remotely close to the quality Haller has shown.

But I hope he's turned a corner now. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He's been very poor for a lot of matches though. I've never minded his scoring ratio, in fact I supported him when others overreacted on here, but the fact that he scores twice against a weak opposition and bettered his ratio, doesn't mean he's had a good start to the season. He's had 2 good and 6 poor matches. Not even remotely close to the quality Haller has shown.

But I hope he's turned a corner now. 

Not sure it really matters, history often papers over the details. If he ends up scoring 1 in 2 by the seasons end no one will remember or care about the quality he has or hasn’t showed.

Still far too early to call, but it looks like it’s a slow burn and developing story. He young and is carrying the teams hopes on his shoulders, let’s just get behind him. Seems like he has responded to criticism so good on him.

Looked very nervous for his penalty so confidence still has some way to go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has scored 4 in 8, (EDIT v). And this is while he's still learning and at times struggling with his confidence and the challenges of the Premier League. Fingers crossed he continues to improve.

 

Edit -  thanks to @MotoMkali I wrote the stats incorrectly - I meant one in every 3 of his shots on target (12) has resulted in a goal

And he's even got an assist :) 

Edited by 8pints

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 8pints said:

Has scored 4 in 8, 1 in 4 shots on target, 1 in 3 of them a goal. And this is while he's still learning and at times struggling with his confidence and the challenges of the Premier League. Fingers crossed he continues to improve.

He's only had 17 shots though. Maybe 1 in 4 off target.

Wesley has had 1 more goal than mcginn and more shots on target in 7 fewer shots which is pretty good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He seems a bit slow and clumsy at times. Almost like his size hinders him when he has the ball.  I wonder if he could benefit by being a bit leaner and more agile?

As long as he’s banging the goals in and putting in a shift like Saturday it’s all good. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He seems a bit slow and clumsy at times. Almost like his size hinders him when he has the ball.  I wonder if he could benefit by being a bit leaner and more agile?

As long as he’s banging the goals in and putting in a shift like Saturday it’s all good. 

I think a lot of that is technique which he is still improving as he hasn't been playing for long. But yeah he is really slow accelerating but I think he runs quite weirdly maybe he needs to be coached on how to accelerate properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I think a lot of that is technique which he is still improving as he hasn't been playing for long. But yeah he is really slow accelerating but I think he runs quite weirdly maybe he needs to be coached on how to accelerate properly. 

I doubt you can coach basics like how to run to a grown man. I don’t know to be honest, Maybe you can?

i think if he lost a bit of muscle or maybe body fat it would give him a bit more speed which could really help his game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I doubt you can coach basics like how to run to a grown man. I don’t know to be honest, Maybe you can?

i think if he lost a bit of muscle or maybe body fat it would give him a bit more speed which could really help his game.

The technique is the main difference between a really fast player and an Olympic sprinter. The proper technique for sprinting feels very unnatural with you needing to take longer strides at the start and bring your knees and heels I higher up than you normally would. It certainly makes a difference and if wes could do it his straight line speed would be great. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very pleased for him at the weekend. His goals were relatively easy in terms of overall difficulty, but you've still got to be in the right position and still got to put them away if you get a chance. He did that, and I can't ask more of him. The penalty wasn't a disaster, though I always prefer a nice, confident run up rather than a stutter or even (is it that Charlton player?) just walking up to the ball. I think he showed that there is more to his game than just tapping the ball in too, so fair play to him.

Keep going son... We want you to do well, because if you're doing well, the whole team benefits. I'll raise a J2O to you, young man. Keep it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Very pleased for him at the weekend. His goals were relatively easy in terms of overall difficulty, but you've still got to be in the right position and still got to put them away if you get a chance. He did that, and I can't ask more of him. The penalty wasn't a disaster, though I always prefer a nice, confident run up rather than a stutter or even (is it that Charlton player?) just walking up to the ball. I think he showed that there is more to his game than just tapping the ball in too, so fair play to him.

Keep going son... We want you to do well, because if you're doing well, the whole team benefits. I'll raise a J2O to you, young man. Keep it up.

He caused alot of havoc aside from his goal to be fair, his general pressing and being a nuisance created alot of openings and opportunities for other players to attack.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raver50032 said:

Very pleased for him at the weekend. His goals were relatively easy in terms of overall difficulty, but you've still got to be in the right position and still got to put them away if you get a chance. He did that, and I can't ask more of him. The penalty wasn't a disaster, though I always prefer a nice, confident run up rather than a stutter or even (is it that Charlton player?) just walking up to the ball. I think he showed that there is more to his game than just tapping the ball in too, so fair play to him.

Keep going son... We want you to do well, because if you're doing well, the whole team benefits. I'll raise a J2O to you, young man. Keep it up.

Lewandowski has a semi stutter in his run up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

 But yeah he is really slow accelerating but I think he runs quite weirdly maybe he needs to be coached on how to accelerate properly. 

One of his legs is a little over an inch shorter than the other, would imagine that accounts for his gait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/10/2019 at 21:29, useless said:

Wesley has now taken over McGinn as having more shots on target than any other player for us, he's also third in the entire league, only Abraham and Pukki have had more shots on target. Here.

That's actually a really interesting stat. Other than the goals he has scored I didn't realise he had taken many other shots.

McGinn seemed to be firing shots at goal every 5 minutes in previous games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Inspiration said:

Looks like a lad that just wants to be loved for me. Sounds silly but really needs a chant, think it could get a little bit more work out of him when he’s having a bad day which there are more of to come for sure.

I was at Norwich on Saturday, the crowd sang 'Wesley's on Fire' during game. He loved it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/10/2019 at 11:02, Jay.P.A said:

Some of you need to cut the kid some slack. 

I'm not sure what people expected of him - he's still learning. We paid for potential - not the finished article. Strikers blow hot and cold sometimes - the most important thing for him is to learn his trade quickly. 

Got 2 in 7 so far, and will only get better. We'll get better as the season goes on too. 

Celebration GIF by Aston Villa FC

Told you. Haters need to chill. 

And GTFOH. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually really delighted with Wesley. Before we saw him in action I was under the impression he will be good for the teams style of play, but won't really be prolific. Having seen him, the lad can finish, I would even call him clinical. Once he gets up to speed and with a couple of seasons of quality coaching he could be a top striker. I believe his performances in terms of hold up play, assists and getting into good positions will steadily improve.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is he the penalty taker, or was it because he was on a hat trick? I'd have Hourihane taking them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't actually think the pen was that bad, The run up made it look worse than it was but it was hit pretty firmly, Just not quite far enough towards the corner although the speed the keeper got across i'm not convinced he wouldn't have saved it even if it was fired right at the inside edge of the post. The only real criticism i guess is that he perhaps telegraphed the direction a little with the way he shaped up but lots of right footers will favour that direction anyway & it doesn't always make a difference anyway as plenty of keepers just pick a direction and head that way regardless. Could maybe have done better with the rebound though but appreciate that it was a matter of seconds with limbs everywhere and players rapidly closing in

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Is he the penalty taker, or was it because he was on a hat trick? I'd have Hourihane taking them.

Bit of column A and bit of column B I would imagine.

seems to have a good strikers ego so doubt he would give up the chance at a pen and you aren’t going to deny a lad who’s been criticised a bit the chance of a hat trick.

I imagine he’s the “designated” taker if we have such a thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â