Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Brazilian league is absolutely brutal, at least every game I've watched from there. Then again he has never played league football in Brazil. No idea how the refs are in the Slovakian league.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

There aren’t many bad strikers who get a Brazil cap v Argentina. (Awaits examples of poor Brazil strikers) Obvioulsy that is no guarantee of anything but it should temper some of eagerness to write him off shown by some.

It was a 4 min cameo in a exhibition game in Saudi Arabia without domestic players and a lot of regular international players missing. But he did get a call up so and Joelinton for example did not.

Hopefully Dean and the coaches have given him loads of videos and advice to look through while he has been off so he can improve tactically.  His propensity to go down too easily he had pretty much overcome by the time he got his injury.  Defenders could deal with him easily by using their own strength and knowing that the refs wouldn't give Wes many decisions.

2 hours ago, Greenfly said:

It was tough for all of them. Remember how mediocre Luiz looked at times before the restart? Same with Trez and Konsa, all of whom have come on leaps and bounds since then. If Wes had had the same amount of time, I think he would've ended up with double figures. Then we'd be saying he was a hit, all things told.

Generally agree with your points, but the big difference between Konsa, Luiz and Wesley is that Konsa and Luiz you could see had something about them. There was no doubt for me they would improve with time cause their underlying talent and ability was easy to see. Wesley on the other hand looked often so akward with the ball you were unsure how much football he had played before. 

So the idea he'll follow the same path with more time at the club is to me very very optimistic. 

He will get his chance to develop, but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Totally agree. In Brazil and Belgium most of those challenges where he goes down would have been given as free kicks, so it's second nature for him to do it. I assume they would/will work in training games to tell him to "come on, get up/don't go down, play on, play to the whistle, you're stronger..." and just drill it into him to change his instinct to fall over and moan when he's in midfield and could have kept hold of the ball.

I have strong doubts about him, to be honest, or did last season - I think I said after the first game I went to that season - Bournemouth at home, that he looked like a dud signing on first viewing, but we have to give him time to adjust. He hadn't convinced me by the time he got injured, and the injury will take a lot of coming back from, but I hope he does, I hope he adjusts and I wish him well. He just didn't look like a goal threat remotely enough times for my liking and didn't look like the sort of player who ever would do. But I'm just a fan who doesn't know what he's talking about half the time.

Agreed also.

Take a look at comments from David Silva on his return to La Liga...

https://www.goal.com/en/news/four-games-booked-twice-man-city-legend-david-silva/j37nu7goqo761ldof10e2plcy

“I have played four games with Real Sociedad and I have been booked twice,” he told The Times . “I think I may have a problem with the referees and I need to get back used to it!”

• Like 2

I think the issue is jack. Refs begrudgingly give the fouls to jack but then when it was a foul on our other players they let it slide as they couldn't get away with it if it was jack. But if it was wes or mcginn it was fine.

We also were so terribly inaccurate with our long balls last season. 90% of the time they were 20 yards away from wes so the defender got into position first. If you see ollie the balls are always slightly short so ollie has time to get there first and set his feet. Either that or it is over the top for him to chase down and put the defender under pressure. I only remember the 3 times us playing the ball in behind last season and I think we scored all 3 times. We have improved substantially since he went down and whilst I don't think he is as good as ollie he is still a good enough striker fkr a top 10 team. 

As much as he seems like a good kid, I just can't see him being a regular starter for us anymore. He's got talent but I don't think he fits our system. We're very slick on the ground now and direct and fast and not sure that suits him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

As much as he seems like a good kid, I just can't see him being a regular starter for us anymore. He's got talent but I don't think he fits our system. We're very slick on the ground now and direct and fast and not sure that suits him. 

The ball on the floor suits him. We kept lumping it to him. Hopefully the big man comes back strong and fit to provide competition and alternatives.

Funny how the pundits are going apoplectic on Pickford yet Ben Mee made a good challenge.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Loxstock92 said:

Jesus Burnley fans have no shame 😳

Literally the opposite of the truth. Why would a goalkeeper rush out to try to injure someone? He was just stupid and made a stupid challenge trying to clear the ball. Mee was trying to "leave one on" Wesley. Big difference.

I like Wesley a lot. You could see the snippets of quality in his play similar to Luiz, he just needed time. It’s going to take a while to come back from the injury, but with Watkins we can slowly introduce him until he gets up to full fitness.

• Like 1

Definitely more technically skilled and clever than people remember when playing with a little confidence. We spent too much of the first half of last season blasting the ball at him from the edge of our own box and hoping he could hold on to it while the rest of the team made up 40+ yards, basically hit and hope he's Heskey. You could see his confidence being sapped with every failed attempt. Should be so much more effective in this side with close support and actual football being played, just have to hope and pray he's recovering well!

7 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

The ball on the floor suits him. We kept lumping it to him. Hopefully the big man comes back strong and fit to provide competition and alternatives.

Funny how the pundits are going apoplectic on Pickford yet Ben Mee made a good challenge.

I think that only tell half the story. If you look at the movement when we're attacking between BGT and Watkins, it's often very fast and direct, moving in channels etc. I'm really not sure Wesley will be able to do the job Watkins does there. 

Lets just give him time to recover and see where he is when he comes back, but I think both in terms of his injury and the team's progress, it's a long way back for Wesley. 

9 hours ago, Xela said:

I think that could suit him more.

Remember he was highly thought of across Europe when he signed!

Be very interesting to see how he fits himself in.

I just don't think he is suited to how we play.

I think his kit is better suited when playing 2 strikers up front. Where he can play just behind the number 9 and link up the play.

He just will never be a number 9. It's not his game.

Â