Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

I fear he's just too slow for this level.

Apart from his efforts to close down the passing options of the opposition, he did next to nothing.

Oh, except put us 1-0 down in a game where we had looked just as good as Leicester

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmyg said:

I was dreading him getting subbed to sarcastic cheers today.... I think he needs to be dropped somehow (No idea how) pretty soon to avoid this happening as what little confidence he does have will be sapped. 

Was fearing for him if taken off.

Wes wasn't great yesterday - no bones about it.

I don't understand dropping him, though. Replace him with who? Kodjia? A.N. Other out of position? That's not the answer.

We need competition for his place in January.

7 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Wes wasn't great yesterday - no bones about it.

I don't understand dropping him, though. Replace him with who? Kodjia? A.N. Other out of position? That's not the answer.

We need competition for his place in January.

Why isn’t it the answer? 

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

Heskey was genuinely 20x the football Wesley is

That's obvious to anyone. People just think they are similar cause they weren't/aren't prolific goalscorers for us. But Heskey's ability to hold up, win headers and what not was some of the best this league has seen. Like someone wrote in the reaction thread, Wesley is pure powder puff.

Personally I have no faith he will ever make, cause he comes across as a total amateur. He does not have a single spesific attribute he is pretty decent at. He has nothing to work from. And that's before you consider his fake injuries and bullshit acting. He doesn't have the fight or ability. 

This is a ruthless business and while it seems cold to give up on him after half a season, that's where I am at. A replacement has to be brought in and Wesley should spend the rest of the season at the bench. 

If he by magic learns to become a footballer while being benched, great. If not we did the right choice. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ozvillain said:

I’d play El Ghazi up front tbh and trez on the wing. I don’t think Anwar would struggle too much making the transition. The player he reminds me most of is a young Gabby so....

In all honesty, if you are to do this, you should be playing Trez up front and El Ghazi on the wing. Simply cause El Ghazi is a decent goal scorers does not make him more suited, nor is it wise considering how well he's doing at the wing.

I am sure there's a scientific term for this, or just an expression, but by switching out both Wesley, El Ghazi and Trez, you are affecting two positions in a team (or even 3 if you consider the wing/back interaction), when you could keep our best winger where he does well (and is well gelled with the team) and just change out one positon, i.e. the striker. 

At the same time Trez has the potential to do rather well as a striker. He gets in front, he works hard, has pace,  gets shots off. Well worth a try. At least up until a proper replacement is brought in next window. 

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Why isn’t it the answer? 

You are Steve Bruce. You have too many right backs. I claim my £20.

Seriously, trying to strengthen a position by weakening another is a recipe for disaster. El Ghazi is a decent winger. Throwing him into a line striker role at this level is a level of desperation we do not need

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

You are Steve Bruce. You have too many right backs. I claim my £20.

Seriously, trying to strengthen a position by weakening another is a recipe for disaster. El Ghazi is a decent winger. Throwing him into a line striker role at this level is a level of desperation we do not need

Ok, put Trez there, or Engels, or someone. Someone that can trap it. 
You mention desperation but last time I checked, we were one place above the relegation zone and our striker couldn’t control the ball. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ozvillain said:

I’d play El Ghazi up front tbh and trez on the wing. I don’t think Anwar would struggle too much making the transition. The player he reminds me most of is a young Gabby so....

Totally agree. El Ghazi has height and pace and would hopefully apply himself a bit better. Let's face it, it wouldn't take too much effort to out-perform what Wesley is giving us. Plus, El Ghazi has shown before that he can shoot/score from outside the box. Yesterday, when that ball was crossed, he was the only one out of him, McGinn and Wesley who got a shot away. OK, he missed a sitter but at least he managed to get something on it. 

Reasons I think Wes was purchased (I don't pretend to have insight or be an expert, it's a theory from my observations and reading):

• Strong and imposing physical specimen capable of holding his own and winning duels from direct long balls and clearances.
  • Can and does make good decisions regarding where and who the ball should be played to, however basic and unspectacular it is, coaches love this.
  • Brings other people into the game and attacks as opposed to running into space behind opposition as a final piece in the build up puzzle.
  • Brings other players into attack and once the team has established enough men forward, Wes can either assist with ball retention or make a run to receive for a finish.
  • Decent record in a decent European league for someone his age.

Unfortunately I don't believe we are seeing any of the above qualities mentioned on display with enough frequency for Wes to be effective.

I think what appeared in Belgium to be a player who was quite impressive and could be developed has turned out to be too slow both on his feet and reading the game.

He's not up to this level yet.

26 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Reasons I think Wes was purchased (I don't pretend to have insight or be an expert, it's a theory from my observations and reading):

• Strong and imposing physical specimen capable of holding his own and winning duels from direct long balls and clearances.
  • Can and does make good decisions regarding where and who the ball should be played to, however basic and unspectacular it is, coaches love this.
  • Brings other people into the game and attacks as opposed to running into space behind opposition as a final piece in the build up puzzle.
  • Brings other players into attack and once the team has established enough men forward, Wes can either assist with ball retention or make a run to receive for a finish.
  • Decent record in a decent European league for someone his age.

Unfortunately I don't believe we are seeing any of the above qualities mentioned on display with enough frequency for Wes to be effective.

I think what appeared in Belgium to be a player who was quite impressive and could be developed has turned out to be too slow both on his feet and reading the game.

He's not up to this level yet.

I don't understand this.

Smith's had success with strikers like Hogan and Maupay before.

I'd like us to go for that type of striker. Why did Smith have a change in approach?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

Heskey was genuinely 20x the football Wesley is

In his prime 20x and 10x by the time he got here ( and when he got here he was absolutely finished)

I wouldn't be opposed to cutting our losses in January, taking a hit and bringing in another 2 strikers. He has a million miles away.

Edited by rodders0223

If he had some attributes he excelled at there would be something to work with.

But that's the problem. After watching him for 16 games i still have no idea what his main strengths are.

Benteke is a good comparison. Came from the same league and similar in age. At least with Benteke we could see his strengths. Strong, could hold the ball up. Great header of the ball and also had a good first touch.

Edited by villalad21

6 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

For those attending VP and away games is Wes getting the full support of our fans? 

a few around me both wednesday and yesterday were starting to grumble about him

• Thanks 1

Â