Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

15 minutes ago, Jimmyg said:

He has shown that he can finish (simple ones but still)  he has shown that he can hold up a bring people into play on occasions if he was that bad he wouldn’t have shown it at all..... albeit nowhere near consistently enough obviously. This just really isn’t his level.

That's kinda relative though. If you're not good enough for the level you're a bad footballer. I am not even sure he's championship standard. In fact I seriously doubt it. 

Weird signing from the outset....11 goals in a lesser league ?  - panned out pretty much as expected his.

Not his fault - but the club as a whole needs to look at the decision making that led to us shelling out £22m for this guy. Ilogical really. In fact only Engels and Heaton from the summer intake look capable.

Edited by hippo

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Davis is 2 weeks away. Give Kodjia a run in those 2 weeks and get Wesley out of the firing line. The fans are turning on him, it's ugly to see tbh.

I didn't hear any evidence of that in the stadium in fairness however his performance level is such that he should be dropped.

He's up there with the most ineffective players I've seen regularly start for us. He wouldn't have looked out of place in the team that went down, and I have no doubt we'd still be in the Championship if we'd had him instead of Tammy last season. 

He’s basically a Heskey type striker, he’s improved quite a bit in holding off defenders and allowing us to play off him. 

His problem is that aside from a hold up striker, we also want him to be the striker that plays off his own type of striker. 

He badly needs a coach to teach him as he’s a coachable player, think we need to get off his back personally. 

Also need to be honest and admit, Anwar, McGinn & Trez final product is poor generally and needs to improve a great deal. 

• Like 1

In the last two matches the importance of a good striker was very evident. Particularly in the Chelsea game, if we’d had Tammy and they’d had Wesley the result could have been different. 

I won’t slaughter the lad and hope that with time he will develop into a good striker, but it’s a big ask for the kid to run the line without any real help. A good striker in January would make a huge difference to the team and could even spark an upturn in Wesley too. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Maupay with another goal giving me a huge case of buyers regret.

How the **** could we be so stupid let an opportunity to sign him pass, would be perfect in our set up.

Huge oversight. Maybe Brentford were trying to fleece us. I remember quotes of 25m plus, then he ends up going to Brighton for 16m. Wouldn't get too hung up over it. There's still time to rectify this.

How the **** could we be so stupid let an opportunity to sign him pass, would be perfect in our set up.

Frustrating to be listening to the Brighton game and hear the commentators' praise for Maupay.  I really thought we were going to get him, a few months ago.

There has to be more too this than meets the eye... Why would u pay £22m for 11 goal wesley

I've been a supporter of Wes but today was just terrible.

I honestly wonder whether Dean is obliged to play him or it is within Wes's contract that he's obliged to play.  When you're in a team and you can't get an opportunity when your competition is playing that poorly then what must it do for your motivation.

Bite the bullet Dean.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

See it? Peach.

Smith has largely been handed this squad to work with. But he mentioned a few times he didn't think Maupay was worth the asking price.

Wonder if someone convinced him Wes was the better option or he decided himself.

We'd already be looking to next season if we had Maupay now.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

See it? Peach.

Smith has largely been handed this squad to work with. But he mentioned a few times he didn't think Maupay was worth the asking price.

Wonder if someone convinced him Wes was the better option or he decided himself.

We'd already be looking to next season if we had Maupay now.

Always wanted him, was raving about him in the summer, one of the few from the Championship I'd have signed. He's not only a good finisher but he gets into good positions, has pace, very aggressive and stretches his opposing centre halves with good runs and front foot pressure and he's clever. He's everything Wesley isn't. 25 goals in the Championship vs 11 in the Belgian league, and a cheaper fee, no contest.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Has offered very little in the last few matches and the pressure is showing.

This guy must've been plan Z if other targets fell through, £22 million though....we were robbed!

Imagine if we had Tammy Abraham, we'd possibly be top six!

Seriously, how much worse can Kodjia be? 

People said he didn't impress when he last came on, but Wesley has not impressed for 8 games straight, he's offering literally nothing right now.  Kodjia might not hold it up but Wes isn't doing that anyway. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, peterms said:

Frustrating to be listening to the Brighton game and hear the commentators' praise for Maupay.  I really thought we were going to get him, a few months ago.

It really does beggars belief. Maupay was making noises he wanted to work with Smith again. Deano knows of all his qualities, cost similar money to Wesley so what on earth did they see in him that lead to going with Wes? They knew Abraham wasnt going to happen so they must have wanted a like-for-like replacement to play the system and thought Wesley was that. Except he just isnt. Infact Maupay is more aggressive, better technically and can actually shoot and link up play. Its a poor decision whoever made it. 

Kodjia has to play. If we signed Wesley when we were in the championship that first season, can anyone envisage that he would have banged in 19 goals? No me either, Kodjia is more likely to get goals than Wesley. Thats what we need now. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Has offered very little in the last few matches and the pressure is showing.

This guy must've been plan Z if other targets fell through, £22 million though....we were robbed!

Imagine if we had Tammy Abraham, we'd possibly be top six!

If we had Glenn Murray we'd probably have 4 or 5 more points. We're trying to win games with a striker who can't play football.

Â