Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

On 22/10/2019 at 23:09, Philosopher said:

I think people are being way too harsh. The lad is clinical, links up well and can hold it up well. He needs work but he started late and is only 22 so that's to be expected.  

I think the fact our Wingers (Grealish isn't a winger) have been poor  makes it harder for him. El Ghazi has been very inconsistent, Treguet is lacking end product, and jota disappeared after the Everton game.

This is it isn't it. He hasn't been getting great service for the most part being his conversion of chances needs to be at a very high rate. He's doing pretty well so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is it isn't it. He hasn't been getting great service for the most part being his conversion of chances needs to be at a very high rate. He's doing pretty well so far.

Agreed he is averaging a little over 2 shots per game and only 14 passes. We need to get the ball to his feet more so he can link up play.

He has quite a few unsuccessful touches but I think that is because we don't play very good balls so he is still fighting for position but the time the comes down for him to control. 

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

We  need the Wes that got an 8 rating against Norwich to turn up Saturday not the 4 rated one that played against Burnley and Brighton 💪⛹️‍♂️

Vs Brighton his hold up play was crucial to the equaliser. Exactly what we want him to be doing. I’d like the Wes vs Norwich every week as well but that player would not have been signing for Aston Villa... still, I think he will find more consistency as he moves forward. Still only done two months in the PL.

• Like 1

Just now, Pimlico_Villa said:

Thought he wasn’t interested at all today. Davis did more in 5 mins than Wes had all game. 

It was a weird one. He seemed, quite rightly, annoyed with himself when he got subbed. Just didn't seem focused and had little to work with so needed to chase more. I don't think he's used to having to do that yet.

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

It was a weird one. He seemed, quite rightly, annoyed with himself when he got subbed. Just didn't seem focused and had little to work with so needed to chase more. I don't think he's used to having to do that yet.

I just think he’s s***.

Sorry, but Davis has to get a start if that is the level Wesley thinks he can operate at. He did **** all the entire match except wave his hands around. Just not acceptable. That said, we’ve been **** over by the officials again. At least 1 penalty we should have had (Stones handball) and the 2nd City goal Sterling is **** stood offside when the ball is put in and he’s obstructing Heatons view. I **** despair with the officiating in the Premier League

1 minute ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Thought he wasn’t interested at all today. Davis did more in 5 mins than Wes had all game. 

I think that's a bit unfair on him. He's a bit slow to press at times, but mostly his work rate is good.

IMO we play two systems:

• 4-3-3 with a false 9
  • 4-1-4-1 / 4-2-3-1 with a lone target man.

Wesley looks pretty decent in the first system and mediocre in the second one. In the first system he can drop deep, lay the ball off, etc. In the second system he finds himself in one-on-one positions with defenders, and lacks the gas to do anything with it.

A striker who can play both roles well will likely cost £40m+ though. I think we just have to accept that at this level and with this kind of spending, whatever striker we signed would have some big flaws in his game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

Sorry, but Davis has to get a start if that is the level Wesley thinks he can operate at. He did **** all the entire match except wave his hands around. Just not acceptable. That said, we’ve been **** over by the officials again. At least 1 penalty we should have had (Stones handball) and the 2nd City goal Sterling is **** stood offside when the ball is put in and he’s obstructing Heatons view. I **** despair with the officiating in the Premier League

Was never a handball unless you're wearing claret and blue spectacles.

Agree re: the offside, although weirdly Peter Walton said on the commentary that he thought it was a fair goal, so maybe there's something in the guidelines that worked in Man City's favour. For me he was massively interfering with play.

Said this in the match thread:

And Wesley showing to me again he should be treated like an 18yo hot prospect because in terms of football development, maturity and mental strength that's where he is but his size belies that.

And by that I mean he should be not a guaranteed starter if fit, as he seems to be at the moment, and unless he's absolutely tearing it up he should be getting far fewer minutes than he does.

Smith is giving him both too much responsibility, which he just isn't up to bearing yet, and too much time to mope around the pitch when he isn't on it.

• Like 1

Pretty tired of him winning almost no ball. Team must be very tired of it.

Why can Jesus who is half his size win a header against Mings to assist? Why can he bump Mings off and lay off a long ball that wasn't much good into him. That's not a huge technical thing, I don't expect Wes to be as good a footballer as Jesus. He should be able to hold the ball up better than him though. He should be able to move and position himself to at least compete for balls forward.

Maybe I'm being harsh. City obviously great, but it just feels like Wes wins nothing unless it's right into his feet, even then someone can come through and take it without him holding them off 90% of the time. So easy to play against. He's certainly now the main weak point now Taylor is gone for me.

We're a dream to play for as a striker. All you have to do is hold the ball up and wait in the box, the chances will definitely come. If  We were brilliant first 20 mins v Norwich partly because Wes was duffing up their CBs and winning or at least trying to win every knock forwards.

Keinan looked lively. Think I'd start him v Pool. We've got to send some sort of message to Wes, may as well do it in a match we're likely to lose anyway. These 2/10 performances are not acceptable. He's good enough and these below par performances look like an effort thing to me even if they aren't. Defenders brushing him aside like he's not there and him watching on as CBs head the ball away? People would be hammering Keinan if he was doing it as it's very poor.

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

That's not a huge technical thing, I don't expect Wes to be as good a footballer as Jesus. He should be able to hold the ball up better than him though. He should be able to move and position himself to at least compete for balls forward.

If I were JT I'd be bombarding his old mate Didier to name his price for a couple of weeks 1-1 coaching for Wesley.

On 24/10/2019 at 09:37, Dr_Pangloss said:

It really isn't. It's more a case of him getting the ball and doing **** all useful. It's a case of him being so a little worry for opponent CBs he might as well not be on the pitch. Easiest centre forward they will meet all season. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

5 minutes ago, privateer said:

If I were JT I'd be bombarding his old mate Didier to name his price for a couple of weeks 1-1 coaching for Wesley.

It's hardly a technical thing though. We could play McGinn up front and he'd win more than Wes and he's about a foot shorter. He'd be aggressive and fight for the ball though.

It simply appears a lack of willing to go and mix it. As I said, he won everything v Norwich. Their CBs are more uncompromising than Stones and Fernandinho, why does he sometimes just not want to compete?

Â