Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Did fall a bit easily from time to time but one of Spurs biggest strengths is their size, that spine has some units so on the off chance he was legitimately upended by those boys it’s no massive disservice to the lad. Has the raw attributes to be someone in this league IMO

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Yes for a big strong lad he seemed to go over far too easily.  He needs to understand this is The Premier League, not some foreign league where any kind of contact leads to a free kick.  It's a physical game here and ref's let a lot more go.  He'll serve himself much better by using his strength to stay on his feet and overpower the defender than falling to the ground and appealing to the ref. 

In Belgium he got kicked the hell out of. Our players were anticipating a looser whistle and probably would have got it if we were playing against a team outside the top 6. If it is 50/50 it will always go to them which I think alot to the times he went down were. 

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Reminded me of Heskey today. But I think against poorer opposition he will be a handful. But concerned that he couldn’t hold up the ball which is presumably going to be 50% of his role. 

Same was said about Benteke early from what I remember. Just sayin’

• Like 4

Was a tough debut for him and he took a fair bit of criticism in the match thread.

I didn't think he was too bad, he was obviously isolated and lost out physically at times, but I think he will be a handful for defenders of the 'so called lesser sides'.

A hard game for him, especially as a debut. He was isolated because of our approach to the match, which any player would have struggled with. It was also a bit of a baptism of fire for a player from a South American background who is used to soft fouls and then used to playing in more dominant sides, his first taste of this league was playing up top alone in a counter attack lineup were we expected to be under the cosh and where he got very little from the ref.

He'll get better and have easier days at the office. I don't think he's ever going to be prolific for us, he doesn't seem to be that kind of striker, but hopefully he can be useful to build around.

If he completely flops, we're ****.

• Like 3

There's definitely a player in there, just thought he was a little naive and petulant at times. Considering the opposition thought he did ok, and the coaching staff will have him working on those little issues.

I though all our attackers were pretty shocking today in all honesty as was Wesley. It's a real shame as if they had been better we could have won that today. Concerned that we didn't get someone in on deadline day as we look light up front ........ Lots to prove.

4 hours ago, QldVilla said:

There's definitely a player in there, just thought he was a little naive and petulant at times. Considering the opposition thought he did ok, and the coaching staff will have him working on those little issues.

I didn't see anything in him to suggest there is a player in there 

However in no way would I judge him based on this game alone - there are many mitigating circumstances and far easier days at the office to come.

We just have to keep faith and allow him time to hopefully find his feet.

I actually thought he did really well against Spurs. He get virtually no protection from the referee. He went down no easier than Kane but did not get the protection he deserved.

He also never failed to get in front of his defender and show for the ball. Those defenders are big, strong and also top quality. He more than made himself a nuisance and made good decisions. When he got hold of the ball he used it well. He will never have experienced anything like what he had to experience against Spurs. He will be better for the experience. He gave all that he had to give but he will get fitter and stronger.

This kid, like all the rest of our players, deserve time and they deserve our support. Some of the comments made about him have been embarrassing. Our greatest strength as a club is our unity. It has been at it’s strongest for years and we must retain it all season. 

• Thanks 1

There was one real warning sign for me and that was when Jack broke with the ball and went on that crazy run. Trezeguet bust a gut to get up there with him and I think McGinn was making up ground through the centre of the pitch. However, Wesley just jogged through the middle like he was going for a stroll in the park. You would think he would also be busting a gut to get up there too. 

I'm sure there's a lot better to come from him once settled but, with Kodjia's recent history of looking lazy, I think it was a big mistake not to have brought in another striker. 

• Like 1

Â