Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

If only that were true! Probably more like for every 5 Wolfswinkels there is a Kompany. We need to be prepared for this guy to be a flop. It’s football, it happens. Obvs hope it will be the other outcome. 😀

We need to be prepared to give this guy, and all the other players, time, before we pronounce them to be flops or super stars for that matter. At least wait until they come back for preseason training!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone tell me why we’ve bought him?  His goal scoring record is average in a poor league and that 22m could have been spent and someone who’s maybe I bit more proven. Maupay would have been a better shout imo. Hopefully he’s another Benteke. 

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Can anyone tell me why we’ve bought him?  His goal scoring record is average in a poor league and that 22m could have been spent and someone who’s maybe I bit more proven. Maupay would have been a better shout imo. Hopefully he’s another Benteke. 

I'm guessing the fact he's only been playing since he was 16 may have had a bearing, I guess there's a thought process that he's more akin to a 15/16 year old in a 22 year olds body (in terms of development) which I think maybe represents an interesting potential.

Edit - and also, people keep mentioning Maupay, check his record out, he's had one good season at Brentford, very average beforehand......we all know the danger of buying a striker from brentford off the back of one good season

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I assume Smith has seen something in him that he can access to the benefit of the team. Maybe he wasn’t used quite right or he’ll be our false number 10 and we’ll be buying another striker to compliment him.  The old sheringham/shearer type combo (not saying players are same attributes but a false and a direct strikers).

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm guessing the fact he's only been playing since he was 16 may have had a bearing, I guess there's a thought process that he's more akin to a 15/16 year old in a 22 year olds body (in terms of development) which I think maybe represents an interesting potential.

Yeah the potential side of things is right open. He seems a big strong player. I’m guessing we’ve been watching him for a bit. I’m not totally against the signing, but it seems we won’t be spending big on anymore strikers. Time will tell I suppose. 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yeah the potential side of things is right open. He seems a big strong player. I’m guessing we’ve been watching him for a bit. I’m not totally against the signing, but it seems we won’t be spending big on anymore strikers. Time will tell I suppose. 

I'm not sure this transfer will have any bearing on any others we may or may not sign.

I still believe we will spend a significant amount of money during this window, I'd wager we'll break our highest fee record more than once.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Because if signing players was as simple as looking at stats, we would do away with scouting altogether and just use FM or the Villatalk transfer committee to buy players.

Sod whether we are looking for a certain type of player for a certain type of setup etc.

How is 5" 7" Maupay comparable to the battering ram that Wesley is?

You realise this stats argument is what fans who don't watch Villa use to say Grealish is shite and overated right?

Good point . I’m just massively worried about where our goals are going to come from. Grealish, although makes everything tick, is not a goal scorer. At the minute I’m not seeing a goal scorer. I was hoping we was going to buy Tammy, but that ships sailed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm not sure this transfer will have any bearing on any others we may or may not sign.

I still believe we will spend a significant amount of money during this window, I'd wager we'll break our highest fee record more than once.

We definitely need a top striker, or at least another striker with potential like Moraes has. 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Good point . I’m just massively worried about where our goals are going to come from. Grealish, although makes everything tick, is not a goal scorer. At the minute I’m not seeing a goal scorer. I was hoping we was going to buy Tammy, but that ships sailed. 

Understood, but bare in mind we aren't done yet mate, I'm pretty sure we will be bringing in more quality to complement each other.

If we are honest, Tammy wasn't necessarily the best striker, but we created so many chances all over the place it was given he would score.

I think we aim for a team which scored goals from all over the pitch, not a one man show.

• Like 1

The other point is that we might not want to rely on one striker but like Liverpool who have Firmino, Salah and Mane, which from memory were not renowned as clinical goal scorers pre Liverpool.  As a combination though are lethal and that included Mane scoring 22 league goals last season.

We aren’t at that level but similar methodology maybe a good tactic for us seeing as we can’t spend 100m on one world class striker although I heard Neymar was a Villa fan 😂 

• Like 2

Much like the loan in tag on El Ghazi's topic bugged me for days after we signed him... the player tag against Wesley is irking me a little. Do we not have one that represents "pending work premit"?

I feel like we're tempting fate...

21 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Last season we scored most of our goals from crosses. Maupay need us to play as Brentford which I guess Smith is working on but we can’t expect to do that all the way up there. We will get battered. So I guess a bigger striker is much better to our side. The presence usually there when we have them. Small strikers needs a certain way of playing which will come eventually.

1 minute ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Last season we scored most of our goals from crosses. Maupay need us to play as Brentford which I guess Smith is working on but we can’t expect to do that all the way up there. We will get battered. So I guess a bigger striker is much better to our side. The presence usually there when we have them. Small strikers needs a certain way of playing which will come eventually.

From watching Wesley on vids etc he is very good at dropping off and working with the AMs, he will likely be good at drawing players with him giving our midfielders opportunity to burst foward past him.

Will see though.

Â