Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Just signed from Brugge apparently.

Record transfer: Club sells Wesley to Aston Villa for 25 million euros

Win win. Wesley Moraes (22) has bit his dream transfer to the Premier League. Aston Villa and Club Brugge have agreed on a record amount of 25 million euros. Wesley signs a 5-year contract there. The deal will probably be officialized today.
Club has never before caught so much money for one of its players.

Never before has Aston Villa counted down for reinforcement.

Never before did a player leave the Belgian league for a larger amount.

The transfer of Wesley Moraes Ferreira da Silva is a record deal in all respects - only Tielemans equaled the sum (see list below) when he exchanged Anderlecht for AS Monaco, but the Purple & White did not end up with 25 million euros like Club.
It was a public secret that the physically imposing striker wanted to go to the Premier League - his dream competition. That is why he recently did not even consider Bayer Leverkusen's interest. Aston Villa promoted more than two weeks back to the Premier League, via the play-offs. It then beat Derby County and since then has been looking for a quality injection. Wesley, who will sign until 2024, will also find an old acquaintance there. Last winter, Villa also removed Lovre Kalinic, the former goalkeeper from AA Gent, from Belgium.

Nice detail: the Brazilian attacker - who was good for seventeen goals and nine assists last season - will follow in the footsteps of (former) strikers like Christian Benteke, Luc Nilis and Gilles De Bilde.
With the transfer from Wesley, a year full of transfer rumors comes to an end. Vincent Mannaert has not received as many phone calls for anyone in the past fifteen months as for his striker. No surprise for the CEO. "If I was a scout for a big club, and I was sitting in the gallery on Sunday, I would call the big boss after an hour to say," I got away with this, hey, get it, "Mannaert left for a year back after the title match on Standard.

Club then did everything to keep Wesley in Bruges for another year. While Lazio was already pulling its sleeve last summer, the striker extended his contract until 2023. And when the Chinese vice-champion Guangzhou Evergrande made an offer of 25 million euros during the winter break, Club answered with no hesitation. The 20 million euros from Cardiff City - meanwhile relegated from the Premier League - also resolutely declined.

Two weeks ago Lazio SS - that Wesley invited last winter to visit Italy - reported again. This time with a bid of 18 million euros, plus three million in bonuses. Club did not change tack again. Also not interested in Newcastle United.

€25m.

Out of nowhere.

• Like 4

6'3 brazilian...would be the sort of attributes i'd expect us to be going for. but €25m? i'd be amazed if this is true as not a single UK media outlet has picked this up

looks like he was heading to newcastle then the move got blocked cause of benitez's contract situation. maybe clubs were alerted and we swooped in

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 1

Doesn't exactly have a good goalscoring record although 'looks the part', has age on his side but really not so sure about this. Would prefer Maupay who is similar age and a better record.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Larscapaldi said:

Many times. He still needs a lot of good coaching and is known for losing his temper now and then. Weighs on a defence though

I would say since we signed Bentake valuations have doubled. So we may have over spent by a few million to get his signature?

Â