villa89

• 2 weeks later...

So... worth a stab in the dark now?

Steer

Guilbert   Hause   Mings    Targett

Luiz*

Jota     Grealish     McGinn      El Ghazi

Wesley

(So close to putting Konsa in for Hause)

*pretty sure we’ll announce that one this week, if it doesn’t pan out, I’m sure we’ll sign another DM.

Edited by alreadyexists

On 22/07/2019 at 16:14, villalad21 said:

We might get spanked this game. But there is no shame losing to this Spurs side.

I will try my best not to overreact after the game.

I'm expecting a defeat because it's a team that got to the CL final who have a very good record at their new home. So I'm going into this game looking for a performance as much as anything. To show that we can compete with decent sides and not just get rolled over in the first 30 mins. Wolves had a game I think 2nd match against City which really set the tone for the rest of their season. They lost but left their mark on the game. 

If we win I'll try not to get too overexcited. I remember beating Arsenal 3-1 away a few years back on the opening day and nearly getting relegated that year. 

Fun fact - that Arsenal game cost me £29k - 10 - match Acca and that was the only result I got wrong. 

Edited by villaglint

On 20/07/2019 at 11:48, alreadyexists said:

So... worth a stab in the dark now?

Steer

Guilbert   Hause   Mings    Targett

Luiz*

Jota     Grealish     McGinn      El Ghazi

Wesley

(So close to putting Konsa in for Hause)

*pretty sure we’ll announce that one this week, if it doesn’t pan out, I’m sure we’ll sign another DM.

I’d be amazed if Hause played when we have Konsa and Engels too. I’d like to see a goalkeeper come in and a striker too

• Like 1

I believe that they will except us to sit back. I think we should start with Trezeguet and El-Ghazi on the wings. We should have an absolute blitz at them for the first 20 minutes. And subsequently against all the top teams we should try the same for the first 20. 

Ive noticed Man City do this in every game. Blitz and try to get three goals up. The bigger teams won’t expect us to go for it like that. 

• Like 1

This would be my side from the current squad:

Kalinic

Guilbert Konsa Mings Targett

Grealish Luiz McGinn

Trezeguet Wesley El Ghazi

Despite Steer’s heroics in the play offs last season, I decided to put Kalinic in goal. Kalinic has played for Croatia several times and hasn’t really had a fair crack of the whip in my opinion. I think Kalinic is an excellent goalkeeper. Who knows, Smith might feel the need to bring another goalkeeper in, I don’t know. I tried to pick a balanced 11, maybe we aren’t done in the transfer market, I don’t know

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Kalinic

Grealish Luiz McGinn

Despite Steer’s heroics in the play offs last season, I decided to put Kalinic in goal. Kalinic has played for Croatia several times and hasn’t really had a fair crack of the whip in my opinion. I think Kalinic is an excellent goalkeeper. Who knows, Smith might feel the need to bring another goalkeeper in, I don’t know. I tried to pick a balanced 11, maybe we aren’t done in the transfer market, I don’t know

No way Konsa and Trezeguet are ahead of Engels and Jota

• Like 3

Steer

Freddy G  Engels   Mings   Targett

Hourihane

SJM   Grealish

Jota                                El Ghazi

Wesley

Is what I expect, hoping Luiz starts instead of Conor.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Greenfly said:

Steer

Guilbert   Engels   Mings   Targett

Luiz

McGinn   Grealish

Jota            Wesley       El Ghazi

I expect this team to put up a good fight.

Depends if they sign Dybala and keep Eriksen, but as it stands I wouldn't bet against an entertaining 2-2 draw.

On 29/07/2019 at 02:01, sir_gary_cahill said:

Kalinic

Grealish Luiz McGinn

I like that team, except I'd have Engels over Konsa, then I think it's our strongest team. People saying Jota over Trezeguet, personally I'm still not sure on him, preseason he's looked very good but he didn't look that great for the last two seasons in the Championship and Trezeguet has a lot more pace to hit Spurs on the counter. Kalinic over Steer is harsh on Steer maybe, but Kalinic has played at the highest level for Croatia and if he isn't moved on I expect he might get his chance with a new defence but I'm not sure (still really hoping we get Butland and pay the money towards the end of the window).

I would imagine we'll try to hit Spurs on the counter by quick short passes rather than being too direct, though Wesley does give us that option if we need it. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

Hoping and expecting to see this team.

---------------------------Steer----------------------------

Guilbert---------Mings----Engels----------Targett

--------------------------------Luiz--------------------------- (If Luiz has not gotten his work permit yet then Hourihane)

------------------McGinn--------Grealish-------------

Jota-----------------------Wesley--------------El Ghazi